Loosing chops

But even playing with "feeling" requires a level of chops - maybe not 64th notes at 215 bpm....but excellent vibrato is a skill that takes practice. Bending notes properly so you aren't sharp/flat, or sour sounding as you dig into the note takes skill. "Chops" exist at all approaches - shredding and playing with "feeling".
Another good example of " feeling" (and a sign of good "chops") is phrasing and leaving space in the right places

Interesting comments about your hands. I am in the same boat, especially with chords (which is surprising to me, I thought I would be having more problems with licks). It is almost like I have to play a difficult passage once, just so I can stretch out my fingers. I probably need to do more finger stretching
There are chords that just don’t work for me any more. Some I shift and sometimes I just simplify - like why do I really need the 9 and flat 13 in there.

I never really stretch my fingers, but maybe I should. I do almost always start by playing something that forces most of my fingers to be coordinated - so 4 left hand fingers and everything but the pinky on the right hand.

Interesting you should mention this. I have had people ask me what is the most difficult music/ song to play & my answer is any music that has a long "scripted" melody that I need to A) learn and then B) remember. Great examples of this are just about anything Acoustic Alchemy does.

I remember reading Carlos Santana saying that playing a melody well is so essential to his sound and it stuck with me. Makes sense when you think of all the cats that can wail but few can put a solid melody in your memory. To do it well is a precious art.

I haven't necessarily lost my chops, but I have lost everything resembling confidence, even though I've been playing guitar since 1977, and have been drumming and playing trumpet and other instruments for even longer.

From grade school through high school, college, and the stages in Hollywood on down, I've always been a willing performer. In the late 80s, I was playing gigs as a drummer, bass, guitar, and keyboard player.

But then something happened along the way. Long story short, I got scammed on social networking in late 2013. It ruined my life. I lost just about everything, including my "gigging" band. A labrum tear in early 2014 made sure I'd not be drumming for a few years, so I focused on guitar lessons.

These guitar lessons have put my head in a weird spot. The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know. I've come to accept that the guitar is an instrument that is both eternal and infinite, in that nobody will ever master it.

[and yes, I will ask my guitar teacher about this issue during the next lesson]

I'm afraid to play guitar at the guitar shop, out of fear that someone will hear. After all, the competitive shredders and other "widdily-woo" artists are always better. I fear playing at the open jam, grossly imagining that someone will make a request for something I cannot play, and that will be the end.

Now, after playing out for all of these decades, with a few years off and some lessons, there is that horrible question in my mind.

When will I be good enough?

I am so with you on this....the lack of self confidence, that is. I've been "playing" since '84. I got "ok" between then and '89. Since then, it's been not so much. I almost sold all of my stuff on a couple of occasions way back then. I actually had all of it at GC one day in 1991 ready to sell it all. They low balled me an offer, and I decided to keep it. I played off and on in the years since (mostly off). A couple of times in the mid 90s with some guys I worked with, which was ok. Since then, almost total shut down. I won't play if the wife is in the same room. I may haul a couple of guitars over to a handful of guys house's, but I'm reluctant to play anything beyond a couple of noodles. I need to snap out of it. At this point in my life I am close to the "I don't give a f@ck what you think" stage. You know, black socks with a garter and sandals. That kind of stuff. I should take the same approach to guitar!

I need to snap out of it. At this point in my life I am close to the "I don't give a f@ck what you think" stage. You know, black socks with a garter and sandals. That kind of stuff. I should take the same approach to guitar!

I'm there as well, with my white ankle socks and CROCKS.

My fiance tries to remind me of some kick-ass moments that I've had from the past, and the things that I've done. Not sure why I can't lean on those, while acknowledging that I'm actually a better player now than before.

The best way to describe how it feels is that it's like I went from being the "best beginner" to the "worst intermediate." My opinion of my playing and ability goes lower and lower with each lesson, even though I truly like the lessons. My status is "eternally worst intermediate," and it's a hole that I'm trying to escape.

I do need to have the DGAF attitude. Maybe I'll write a song called DGAF and use those chords. At any rate, I have to not care about the world so much.

I'll go play at that music store, just as soon as I can get the nerve to step outside my apartment door.

Nah, dude - no reason to feel silly!! The kicker for me is that I just turned 44. I have seizures too, lol. I wasn't born with them - had the first when I was 32. I suffered a MASSIVE head injury and lost oxygen. Recovering from that one was tough. I lost fine motor skills - handwriting became difficult. I had to relearn it!! Playing guitar was nearly impossible!! But, you are right - the mental hurdle there was one I had to jump. I am a teacher - I need to write, lol. I had a band on an indie label. I needed to play. I worked really hard and relearned a lot. Some of my chord vocabulary disappeared - those Min 9 add 13th chords, lol. Who needs them anyway???

In the end, the ability to play returned faster than expected. But, some stuff was lost. Instead of being totally bummed by what I couldn't do, I stayed excited about what I could still do. It's just about being able to accept where you are in the moment - like recording songs or an album. You ALWAYS hear what you could have done differently or better - but those releases/recordings are where you and the song were in that moment in time. Music is an ever evolving thing - seasons change, skills improve and devolve simultaneously. Dude, I get totally frustrated, but I love music and guitars and interacting with other musicians that I just constantly have to be pleased with where I am in the moment.

Now the flip side of that.....

My playing Saturday night was embarrassingly bad. We had opened for Graham Bonnet. He currently has Joey Taffola as his guitarist. That's a dude I greatly admired. We shot the breeze during load in...got to hang during sound check, etc. It was a cool opportunity to play in front of a guitar oriented crowd. I was up there with my MC58. All sorts of dudes were asking about the guitar and were excited to hear it. While nobody was mean afterward, it was still one of those choking moments where I was a bit depressed on Sunday. It may not have even been too noticeable, but to me it was a disaster because I was not playing at my normal level. But, today is Tuesday. Life went forward. The world didn't stop. This week, Ben-Gay is going in the gig bag!!! We'll see what happens next!!! Hopefully it works because February has us doing out-of-towners and a Festival!!! I gotta be on - or start modifying my parts to be easier to play!!!

Yeah, but dude, how many people say they got to open for Graham Bonnet? Dude has a legendary voice! He's been in some top level bands, and played with some of the legends of guitar! I mean, Schenker, Blackmore, Vai, Impelliterri, Yngwie! Man, cool stuff! I remember Joey's "Out Of The Sun" album from the late 80s!

Yeah, but dude, how many people say they got to open for Graham Bonnet? Dude has a legendary voice! He's been in some top level bands, and played with some of the legends of guitar! I mean, Schenker, Blackmore, Vai, Impelliterri, Yngwie! Man, cool stuff! I remember Joey's "Out Of The Sun" album from the late 80s!

Lol, yeah- true. It was a great show! He also had Jimmy Waldo from Alcatrazz on keys. Joey was a very distracted dude. He was texting every chance he got, lol!

I haven't necessarily lost my chops, but I have lost everything resembling confidence, even though I've been playing guitar since 1977, and have been drumming and playing trumpet and other instruments for even longer.

From grade school through high school, college, and the stages in Hollywood on down, I've always been a willing performer. In the late 80s, I was playing gigs as a drummer, bass, guitar, and keyboard player.

But then something happened along the way. Long story short, I got scammed on social networking in late 2013. It ruined my life. I lost just about everything, including my "gigging" band. A labrum tear in early 2014 made sure I'd not be drumming for a few years, so I focused on guitar lessons.

These guitar lessons have put my head in a weird spot. The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know. I've come to accept that the guitar is an instrument that is both eternal and infinite, in that nobody will ever master it.

[and yes, I will ask my guitar teacher about this issue during the next lesson]

I'm afraid to play guitar at the guitar shop, out of fear that someone will hear. After all, the competitive shredders and other "widdily-woo" artists are always better. I fear playing at the open jam, grossly imagining that someone will make a request for something I cannot play, and that will be the end.

Now, after playing out for all of these decades, with a few years off and some lessons, there is that horrible question in my mind.

When will I be good enough?
I totally get what you’re saying!

I’ve had similar feelings after a long break from gigging.

I played a gig last summer for a friends party and realised its never gone away. You’re a musician, so draw on your enjoyment of playing and relax.

Best of luck in your endeavours!

I am so with you on this....the lack of self confidence, that is. I've been "playing" since '84. I got "ok" between then and '89. Since then, it's been not so much. I almost sold all of my stuff on a couple of occasions way back then. I actually had all of it at GC one day in 1991 ready to sell it all. They low balled me an offer, and I decided to keep it. I played off and on in the years since (mostly off). A couple of times in the mid 90s with some guys I worked with, which was ok. Since then, almost total shut down. I won't play if the wife is in the same room. I may haul a couple of guitars over to a handful of guys house's, but I'm reluctant to play anything beyond a couple of noodles. I need to snap out of it. At this point in my life I am close to the "I don't give a f@ck what you think" stage. You know, black socks with a garter and sandals. That kind of stuff. I should take the same approach to guitar!
Did a gig once with all the band dressed like this! Amazing how relaxed I felt!!

Maybe I've played too long, and not played with others for too long. While I have never and will never lose interest in the instrument, I just don't learn new stuff as often as I once did. I go on kicks so to speak. Johnny A. was a longtime kick, bossa nova was a long time kick, Danny Gatton was a long time kick, but with out jam mates or a band, you quickly loose touch with music in general. I've actually begun to forget tunings such as DADGAD, Open G, etc. Oh, I know them and can play stuff in them but I don't learn anything new in them. I just did a DADGAD rememberance so to speak, and I had forgotten nearly all I knew in the tuning.

I have definitely lost speed over the years, but once I admitted to myself I was never going to be the guy I was 30 years ago, I started exploring different avenues and techniques. YouTube really helped me with finding new things to learn. There are so many excellent teachers on there. and as a result became infatuated with the guitar all over again.

When I was younger I had a hybrid technique that could get me through just about any lick (in other words, BS my way through it because I did it fast. Pick a few and hammer the rest lol). Basically, I was lazy because I could get away with it. Now that I'm older and have lost most of that youthful dexterity, I realize I was relying on speed as a crutch. I play slower, but much more articulate and almost no legato anymore. I know the fretboard better than I ever did, and can jam in just about any key because of it. Older and wiser as they say :)

I had this happen just this week. Do to various issues I didn't practice last week. Picked up the guitar yesterday and felt like a beginner. Towards the end of practice I could tell it was coming back.

I'm also of the school of melody over flash. To me it's playing for the song not in spite of the song.

I have arthritis now, and some of the first stuff to go was the sweep picking, fast string skipping, wicked fast scalar runs. It was tough at first, but I realized it was ok....my music really didn't "need" it. I developed a new style. Cool. Lately though the hands are cramped - shoot, even typing this response has my knuckles wanting to curl.

Arthritis = evil, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Medication makes my RA mostly manageable, but this is my first winter experiencing what combinations of temperature and humidity do to my joints. Not terribly fun, but I play through it as best I can. My consolation is that I could never sweep worth a damn anyway, so now I have an excuse. ;)

If I ever need to fake a quick run that I'd trip over otherwise, I'll just resort to 2-handed hammer-ons if need be. Hah, so there!

Other than that, it's actually been beneficial in a way -- I'm forced to be more careful with my phrasing and say more with less. That's helped me clean up some sloppy habits in a pretty short time, and dialed up the melodic factor a bit. If I'm having a really rough day, I'll just tune down a 1/2 step.

What really saved my bacon: the combination of PV and pattern PRS neck carves with the appropriate (25" and under) scale length. Pattern thin makes my fretting hand cramp up in what feels like ten seconds (probably closer to a minute) -- it's wild to experience, I grew up on skinny necks.

There's only one logical progression coming out of the text I see myself typing: I'm gunna need a Santana in the future, or something wide/fat.

Wishing you all the best!

If there’s anything I hate, it’s loose chops.

Loose, sloppy chops.

1UdvsOD.jpg

Back