Katana 100 Mk II Too Loud?

jinxnm

I have decided to get a Katana amplifier, either a 50-watt or 100-watt combo amp, so I have enough volume to play with friends on occasion. When on sale, the 100 watt is the same price as the Katana 50 Mk II Ex, and used it is the same price as the standard Katana 50-watt, so it seems like a no brainer to get the 100 watt Mk II to get the additional features like an effects loop. However, my concern is the volume. The vast majority of the time I do not need 100 watts, or even 50 watts, and I am concerned about worsening my tinnitis and hearing loss. Can I get a decent tone out of the the Katana 100 Mk II at a low volume? I currently have a 40-watt practice amp, and even though it is solid state, I still need to crank it to a higher volume than I am comfortable with for practice to get a decent tone.

I’d definitely go with the 100W Katana. I compared the two, and the 100 sounded much “fuller” to me - probably due to the larger size of the combo’s enclosure. Unlike a 100W tube amp, these Katanas really aren’t volume-dependent, since everything is modeled - you’ll get the same/similar tonal structures at any volume.

Thanks so much for your replies Dirty Boogie and RC Mike. Yes, both have the .5 watt mode. Put my order in today for the 100 Mk II. Got it on sale for less than the 50 Mk II EX, and I am looking forward to receiving it.

I use the 0.5watt all the time. When jamming or (infrequently) gigging I never go above 50watt (with earplugs). I tried the 100w setting once and deemed it too much.

Glad to hear that the lowest wattage setting works well for practice, and that the 50 watt setting is sufficient for jamming. I don't know that I will ever need the 100 watt setting, but seems like it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The main selling points for me on the 100 were the features that are not offered in the 50s.

Katana 50 MKII is my bedroom amp. I use it 99% of the time at 25 watts with master at 9 o'clock. It’s plenty loud for me.

I use it with the Katana Librarian app, Airstep KAT controller and Mission Engineering expression pedal.
The Airstep let's me deep edit using the Librarian app, via my phone's Bluetooth.

The trick I've found, in deep edit, is to use a parametric eq, post amp with boost. It really opens it up.

Ya did good by getting the 100; as you said, for the features not present on the 50.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip! Seems like there will be steep learning curve to get into the apps, but would be well worth it to tailor the different presets to what I like best.

Thanks for the tip! Seems like there will be steep learning curve to get into the apps, but would be well worth it to tailor the different presets to what I like best.
It's not bad at all...
It was actually my first foray into that 'kind of world'.
You will have so much more access to different amps & effects and their parameters.

Back