I just purchased PRS NF3

HippySoul

What do you think about this guitar?

I was looking for guitar that can do Single and Humbucker sounds... so i tried several PRS in my local guitar store (Studio, CU24, SC58 and NF3)
Somehow, and i dont know why, i prefered the NF3 sounds than all other guitars.
What do you think about the NF3? Why is it cheaper than most of the PRS guitars? How's good its quality (wood/ materials)

Thanks!

I'm really intrigued by the NF3. It would be high on my list if I was in the market to buy something new.

I'm sure it's cheaper because it costs less money to produce (bolt-on neck, no maple top, less carving on the body, pickguard mounted electronics) and the quality is surely as good as any other PRS.

What Garrett said.

Fantastic guitar, same quality as all PRS. Glued-in necks and violin carved tops on other PRSes involve more materials and production work, and are therefore more expensive.

But that doesn't make the bolt ons with pick guards any less high quality. It just sounds a bit different due to the construction, and that's a good thing!

Enjoy that thing, it's a great instrument!

I love my NF3. The neck and frets feel fantastic and overall it has the feel of a Strat, which is my favorite. The prices are lower for the reasons those above have stated and have nothing to do with quality. And since the pickups are a little weird, they may not be as popular as other models, so you might be able to get a better deal on one. The "in between" pickup positions are my favorite (neck/middle and middle/bridge). The bridge humbucker by itself doesn't quite sound like a full-size humbucker, but it's close enough for rock 'n roll. Enjoy yours, and I'm sure everyone would like to see a photo of yours it you feel like posting one.

I hope it's OK to post here, but the current GC PRS sale (pre 2013 guitars only) has some really nice prices on NOS NF3's...

I don't have any affiliation with GC, but I did check their sale list and got a great quote on an NF3.

I have an NF3 and it is a wonderful instrument by it self, and compares AND contrasts to my humbucking PRSi...love them all. The NF 3 has unique tones but will be similar to the old favorites...great guitar, Congrats!!!

my guitar partner has had a NF3 for about 1 1/2 yrs. now. i've seen him go through alot of guitars in the last 25yrs, gibsons, fenders, heritages, other prs's, and countless other med-grade guitars. i have NEVER seen him so in love with a guitar like he is with his nf3. the honeymoon faze is long over, and everytime he play's it, his excitement is like his first time playing it. and it sounds great in all 5 positions. ( I have a mccarty with the narrowfields) I cant tell you how happy i am that he's happy, because i'm tired of lending him money for guitars. the bank is now closed. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Wow!!! I got my new PRS a week ago. This is the best guitar i've ever had! amazing and unique tone! The maple neck is awesome.
I dont need a booster pedal anymore... the signal is so boosted without any booster! it have a wonderful fat clean tones ;) and fat overdriven tones 2 !!
The guitar sustain is unlimited in clean tones! this guitar is recommended to anyone who love guitars! it's not GIBSON and neither not a FENDER... it's PRS Narrowfield tone guitar!!!

Thanks everyone!
I'll get my NF3 3 weeks from now. (im out of US).

Congrats! I have only briefly played a NF3, but spent a lot of time on a DC3 and LOVED it. The tones of course will be different, but the styling is the same. The fit, finish, and feel on both were outstanding. Everything I expect in a Core Line PRS!

Also (and sorry if it may derail this thread slightly), for those with much more experience than I in a lot of the new PRS of the last few years, how do the NF pickups and the narrow 408 (408 neck, Paul's Guitar, Brent Mason) compare? Do they have a similar vibe? Or am I WAY off?

Just curious as to where the NF pickup falls within the much broader PRS pickup range.

Wow!!! I got my new PRS a week ago. This is the best guitar i've ever had! amazing and unique tone! The maple neck is awesome.
I dont need a booster pedal anymore... the signal is so boosted without any booster! it have a wonderful fat clean tones ;) and fat overdriven tones 2 !!
The guitar sustain is unlimited in clean tones! this guitar is recommended to anyone who love guitars! it's not GIBSON and neither not a FENDER... it's PRS Narrowfield tone guitar!!!

Very Cool. Congrats on a Kick-azz Guitar & welcome to the Forum!

Congrats! My NF3 has became my #1. This is the first guitar that I've played that sounds great using the middle pickup only. I love these NF3 pickups.

Thanks everyone!!
I just saw that my guitar was made in AUG 2012 and not 2013. are there any differences between this model and 2013 NF3 model? It doesn't matter to me that much since i really like it and its custom color (black body with black pickguard)...
I was just wondering in general..... ;-)

Thanks everyone!!
I just saw that my guitar was made in AUG 2012 and not 2013. are there any differences between this model and 2013 NF3 model? It doesn't matter to me that much since i really like it and its custom color (black body with black pickguard)...

Rumour has it there are some very minor wiring differences that happened sometime in 2012 (in the case of the NF3, a treble bleed cap was added). Your guitar may or may not be affected.

Some info here: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?5660-Still-learning-about-my-new-NF3

Other than that, nothing.

Last edited:
Pic please
Thanks everyone!!

prs1.jpg

prs2.jpg

prs.jpg

Back