I ♥ my Archon.PIX WELCOMED!!

This is all I got...

DSC01398_zpsibedbzbp.jpg
Even though I've never played the 25 watt Archon. I would LOVE to have a head version of it in the DG Custom color, blonde tolex with cherry mahogany front panel to match my DG 2X12.

niiiiiice how do u like that Rivera?????

It works pretty well for me. I wish the attenuation knob was just a regular rotary (so you can fine tune) vs stepped increments, but that's probably my only real complaint (outside of Rivera not publishing more layouts of speaker profiles for the EQ section).

I'm actually in the process of getting a Two Notes Torpedo Studio, so the Rivera might be on the block if I really like the Studio.

Couldn't resist this head at the NAMM show after Zach played "Sound of Madness" through it in the demo room. Great amp. I wish it had reverb and boost like my 2 channel Custom though.
2 Awesome things about this pic...it appears a very tall individual is standing on the amp and also that you and Zach appear ready to have that special moment, where you reach over, gently touch his hand....the bromance is there!:D It's a very cool pic though. Was that the first year they came out or?

2 Awesome things about this pic...it appears a very tall individual is standing on the amp and also that you and Zach appear ready to have that special moment, where you reach over, gently touch his hand....the bromance is there!:D It's a very cool pic though. Was that the first year they came out or?

I think this is that split-second after their hands have just touched but before their expressions change and they turn to look at each other. ;)

Great photography is like comedy - it's all about the timing.

It was a very real moment. Zach, you have to give it up and stop calling. The Mrs. is getting suspicious.

And, yes Vaughn, this was the release day at NAMM. It's the first Archon sold I believe.

Impressive! So how is the double Archon configure?
I don't use 2 at once. Keep one at home and the other at band rehearsal space. I do usually have el34's in the one at home and 6L6 at rehearsal. I take a line out with a Suhr ISO box and run into a VHT 2/50/2 power amp at rehearsal so I have both power tube sounds. I just decided to take a pic of both at home when I got the 2nd one. More got it for backup purposes but I love having one at home to jam on.

Well then, nobody better to ask than you, about how the EL34s compare to the 6L6s in the Archon.

Well then, nobody better to ask than you, about how the EL34s compare to the 6L6s in the Archon.
Honestly I like both in this amp. Prior to owning the Archon, I was more of an EL34 guy. Not a Marshall-y sort of guy by any means though, which isn't the Archon target anyway. I just like the mid cut of 34's in high gain application. That said, I like low mids over ice pick, in your face mids. I like where the Archon mids sit and how the mid control is voiced.
In my live rig, the 2x12 sits on top of my 4x12. The VHT power amp with EL34's thru the 2x12 is what I hear more of since it's closer to head level. It cuts a little more thru the mix of the band.

At home I can use either. I preferred the EL34BSTR at low volume. They almost split the difference between 34's and 6L6 where they seem to have a solid bottom end and detailed highs but with a more prominent mid than 6L6's. I do have those same EL34BSTR in my VHT power amp right now as well. I have not played the Archon with EL34's at high volume yet at rehearsal. I should do that at some point to see how I like it.

I played my last rehearsal with bass, depth and treble at 12:00 and mid all the way up just to see how the Archon would sound. It actually sounded great. Cut like a knife, too.

Thanks V!

Elvis, how does it do with scooped mids 80s type stuff?

6DD60FB8-0ACB-4605-A963-D0F4A159DB8C_zpsmlhwzbdv.jpg
Picked this combo up last night. Need to dig in, but I'm impressed so far.

Has anyone had experience with Greenbacks and the Archon? There's a 2x12 local with them and I'm wondering how it would do

I'd bet it would sound better than the speaker in the combo, but that's just my opinion. The only Archon I've ever gotten to play was the 25 combo and it didn't blow me away like the clips I've heard of the 50 and 100 watt heads. But, I knew going in that I wasn't a big fan of the combo speaker and that is a BIG part of the tone. I bet you drop a Scumback M in there and that thing KILLS!

I'd bet it would sound better than the speaker in the combo, but that's just my opinion. The only Archon I've ever gotten to play was the 25 combo and it didn't blow me away like the clips I've heard of the 50 and 100 watt heads. But, I knew going in that I wasn't a big fan of the combo speaker and that is a BIG part of the tone. I bet you drop a Scumback M in there and that thing KILLS!

I'd think about it, but I'm going to play around with how it is stock first. Gonna give it a shot recorded at home too. There's a few 2x12's I'm interested in though:
- Randall with 2 Greenbacks
- Peavey MC vertical with a V30 and Eminence Red Coat
- Genz benz g flex
- Jet City Vertical

I'm actually most intrigued by the Peavey because of the speaker mix and price, but GB's always worked well with Marshall stuff I used before

Back