Ground & Pound Soundman saga

Well my friends after decades of dreaming and dreading , I finally made it to an open mike, and survived. I must say it changed my lifetime perspective on guitar. I am admittedly a hermit, I spent my career as that eccentric engineer in the corner who you went to when NOBODY could figure it out , and then solve it a few minutes. As a Luthier , I live for seeing my instruments on stage in the hands of people who are skilled.

It is the same way any parent feels of the child doing well ( I'm a grandpa) . I've always played just for the pure pleasure of it.
Performance was something I did in Orchestra years ago , never solo , or in any spotlight.

SO ...what changed ?? Through the steady encouragment of several musician friends and most importantly my dear friend Bill Hart, I took the plunge. A duet with Bill, which I'd done at my place before , so it was casual feeling. I realized for the first time that when you are up there , it's a different universe , all of a sudden the crowd is out there ...and quite suddenly since they are ...no worries !

Certainly not my best playing , but I DIDN"T freeze .

60 years of crippling stage fright GONE!!! God bless you Bill. Of course , as is his task in Life , after he made sure I could fly a little , he stepped away and let me play originals for about 10 .. I realized that the folks in the club needed "background music " and I'd done this on my lunch break in the lounge at work for a good ten years... Working in a high stress Mission Critical call center , people would frequently say " I wish they could pipe your playing to the building " I'm a Michael Hedges type acoustic player .... I always rolled my eyes, shook my head and kept playing , not appreciating that it was actually bringing them serenity ....

The EPIPHANY : The great lightswitch moment of Suzuki training .. Practice until you can't get in wrong , and more importantly NOT for your pleasure anymore , but with dillligence to bring joy to others.
Good on ya!
You go!

We wrapped up our 10th month with a packed house, 10 singer~songwriters, a poet , and 3 stand up comics .
It's great to see the Open Mic night out performing some of the booked nights ! One of our regulars did a setup on my Taylor 12 while I was hosting ( truss rod ) and the results were amazing. Oddly unlike PRS and others they don't provide the tool , and none of my other 3 worked.
He had a long T-handle tool that is WAY better than the 90 degree ones, need to add those to my kit.

Best wishes to ALL for a SPECTACULAR 2024!

Last edited:
Last night was our last show of the year , our favorite Reggae band Cafe' au Lait rocked the house .

Talking with the boss after the show , reflecting on the growth in our Music side , I realized I've done about 500 sound checks in 2023 , while I thought I knew what I was doing when I started .. I've learned SO much about the enourmous array of equipment and personalities involved .

The good news , We've all grown into better folks for it. The artist's are learning about how to get good sound along with me ..

It looks like we'll be moving to a new venue in spring after 5 years. something with a bit more room .. and maybe ... a real stage .. !

Practice your craft in 2024 with all your heart , and next year at this time we can look back and SMILE !

Write a song from your heart and share it at least with your friends ...

As I tell my artists EVERY week at Open Mic ..NOBODY .. really knows the true YOU until they see your Art in whatever form allows you to truely express YOU .

And in this crazy ,violent world ... share that smile often ... it seems insignificant ... it isn't

Last edited:
First Show of the year was a packed house and a wide variety of talent , a poet , stand up, a young pianist`singer , a 13 yr rising start, and some old favorites . The word has gotten out and we now are known as the most artist friendly in the area .

My constant inspiration the REAL Pink Power Ranger ( she was the stunt lady !)boss , and dear friend has this perspective :
Screenshot+2022-12-10+at+15.53.21.png

"Open Mic nights are all about fostering creativity, connecting with fellow artists, and creating a warm, inclusive atmosphere. The stage is yours to paint with your unique artistic strokes. Feel the energy of the crowd as you showcase your artistry or simply enjoy the incredible talents of others"

Rock On my friends , keep it from the heart and never stop til you drop .

Despite the cold an heavy weather , we had another packed house and great performances, this lady did her first appearance on our stage , and we booked her right away .. #15 in 11 months .

The Angelus twins made thier first appearance and WOW , they fill the room with joyful bliss , One of our regulars fell in love with the Cocobolo one "Angie" , high praise from someone who plays 30K Laskin and Larivee customs.

We now pull in more people than some Friday booked gigs. The boss is very happy .. hard work pays off.

Last edited:
I've been working on a dual channel setup for acoustic similar to my fiddle setup , tried using the Fender and Mesa which worked at home but Live the PRS's have WAY too much bottom end for that . Undaunted I spent the morning dialing both channels of the Mesa Rosette ( 300w / 2x8+tweet) .
The channels are discrete so I vary the EQ and reverb to strectch the sonic range.

It paid off. The signal chain: Guitar out -> Xotic super sweet (Slight mid boost and buffer) ->Keeley Dark side (set to slow subtle phase shift) ->
TC Stereo chorus/flange / pitch ( set to subtle slow chorus) Dry out-> T-Rex Quint ( +1 octave down and a bit of 5th)-> Channel 1 Wet out to channel 2 .

With it all on it makes for a dreamy very wide dynamic range 12 . I'm of the school in both cooking and sound to add the spice as if it were a natural element rather than the main attraction .

Last edited:
I have been looking at the open mic seen near me, some folks I know have been prodding me to give it a try, there are also some open jam sessions near me that I think might be interesting.

12 degrees this morning Chill factor 1 F ... .. below freezing for tonights show .. at least there isn't black ice .. As my Coach use to say in Alaska .. "Put on your fur lined knickers , it's going to be a cold one"

Last edited:
Despite the crazy storm .. that will be pounding us for another few days ... we had a great show . I tried the BOSS Pro PQ50 out live and WOW .
It really helps eliminate any of the WOOF zones that acoustics are prone to . Only a handful of folks use the soundhole disks .

Sadly they stopped making them , but Empress makes a nice one in pedal format , and Gloden Age Project has a couple of half racks like mine in vintage and modern for about the same coin ..
71xjjOUUqOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I should have brought it months ago .. Life is a constant learning process .. I try to keep things as simple as I can and still achieve good sound , this just makes the whole thing WAY easier.

We had a great CD release party last night for one of our regular artists Ella Beth , and she had several old friends sit in . It was a magical evening , but I was WAY busy with people and instrument switching . It was an all acoustic gig .. in theory .. we ended up with 3 guitar players , 2 bass players and 2 vocalists .
here's an older clip of Ella Beth .. she's from Australia and a sweetheart

Nice! I just want to say that I really enjoy reading your weekly plus posts. Please keep posting. The stories are always cool and interesting. The stories of making local live music happen in one small place in the country are such a counterpoint to big tours and such.

It was a chilly night , but we had some great performers . Due to the light turnout everyone got long sets, I played my Angelus for a 45 minute set! That's Elizabeth Higgins next to the old Wolf, our summer contest winner
Copy+of+Copy+of+GPC-Insta-Sq-Orange-OpenMic.jpeg

We signed our 17th artist , an adorable young singer songwriter named Hannah Murphy.

Rock on folks!

Last edited:
It was a chilly night , but we had some great performers . Due to the light turnout everyone got long sets, I played my Angelus for a 45 minute set! That's Elizabeth Higgins next to the old Wolf, our summer contest winner
Copy+of+Copy+of+GPC-Insta-Sq-Orange-OpenMic.jpeg

We signed our 17th artist , an adorable young singer songwriter named Hannah Murphy.

Rock on folks!
So cool

It's hard to believe but we are in the final month of our 1st year ! 18 Artists signed, and a new Comedy night spawned.

As it's February I've decided it's RED guitar month and I'm starting an open sound check/warm up for 30 min before, and returning the closing jam for the last half , something we've drifted away from . Trying to encourage duets etc, we've had a few start that way.

April will mark the 5th anniversary of the Shop ! So lots of goodness and more Music ahead!

Back