Space - The Final Frontier.

LOVE IT!!!! Sometimes I wish I had more space, but everything is done DI, so I don't NEED much space. I like your space - it's clean and open. I bet that's great when you're spending a ton of hours in there.
It's pretty nice, all things considered. When I cut vocals or acoustic instruments, I find having a little room to spread out is a good thing.

If I was just up to DI, I'd probably be in a smaller room using good headphones instead of monitors. Nothing wrong with a good DI setup.

“Poop” that has kept you gainfully employed, whilst providing well for your family, “Poop” that keeps you out of mischief and “Poop” that has entertained us.
OK, but...

Who says poop can't be marketable and entertaining?

In a way, I'm answering nature's call every time I go into the studio. ;)

Last edited:
Nice one Les, love Robert’s painting (nude, assuming it is his work, certainly looks in his style) on the wall.

No one cares how dressed you are when you admire art.

Well, except maybe Art.

8394b11f891be2715787168f9ffa3a10.gif

I've done it. I just don't like it. Mastering, more than mixing, as reverb is a pain to get right when adding it while using headphones.
Actually, it's all a question of quality of the equipment and your mixing/mastering know-how.

With the higher end headphones and headphone amps on the market today, it's easy to get details like reverbs right. I've done a complete 180 on this since getting the Audeze cans I use.

There are headphone response-correction and room simulation plugins. Trust me, your room is not going to reproduce flatter response than you can get with Sonarworks, nor does your real room compete with the Waves Abbey Road, Ocean Way or Dear Reality VR headphone plugins -- if you have good equipment to listen through, it sounds like these spaces, and I say that having worked in high end rooms like those. It's pretty amazing.

Conversely, it is exceedingly difficult to accurately mix in most typical rooms, and even in lots of purpose built studios. Unless the room is well designed and treated, you're simply not hearing accuracy, you're guessing. Because most rooms have horrible peaks and valleys in frequency response due to standing waves, reflections, etc, you're completely in the dark.

The idea that people take mixes out to the car, listen on a boombox, then with ear buds, then with small monitors like Auratones, etc., is last-century stuff. An accurate mix translates to anything. I haven't done any of that stuff in many years because my rooms have been pretty darn good.

Home studios? Unless people spend thousands on acoustical treatment (as I had to) AND have a large enough space to minimize bass frequency issues, it's much BETTER to mix on cans.

If the cans and headphone amp are accurate, the mixes will translate to other systems much more accurately than what you can achieve with studio monitors, especially in the most difficult thing to get right: the bass.

Until you mix on the right cans through a good headphone amp, you aren't current on what's possible, even compared to five years ago. It's a different world!

Last edited:
Back