Ground & Pound Soundman saga

I was talking with the staff last night after the show about that very subject . by the end of next month I'll have put in 200 shows there.
So many great memories . Watching the evolution of Artists is my favorite part. Encouraging them , sharing tips of my 60+ years doing this from every angle. Even the challenging moments are learning experiences.

Such a great story, I would love to read the book! I know this thread kind of is the book (or maybe there IS more?), but so cool what you are doing there and how you are doing it ;~)) Changing lives in the world of music, and for the good of course!! Totally epic and as many kudos as I am allowed to give to you, you get that many!!!

BTW, you should write the book and call it "A Greywolf Walks Into A Coffee Bar . . ."! Heck, there's even some jokes waiting to happen with that statement ;~)) If I think of any, I will throw them your way but you being "in the play" probably have better material you could build on there ;~))

@Greywolf and @Moondog Wily walked into a coffee bar……

……man oh man, it was moulting season. The hair!

Congas are getting heavy and cumbersome to load/unload for this near septagenarian, and my grandson was asking for a drum set.. so I picked one of these up for the Open Mic jams and to see if he likes it ..8 yr old boys are tough to gauge. This one plugs in ..so it will be fun. If so I'll get him one for his bday.

L01033000000000-00-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
well the drum was a a big thumping hit! Unplugged it's fairly quiet .. good for practice , but plugged in , it's a blast . I had been wanting to get a complete neophyte up on stage, so I asked for a volunteer, someone who didn't play anything , and had never been on stage. A shy young millenial walked up, understandably nervous but smiling.

I set up the little boss acoustic drum machine as a reference, and she was groovin shortly , then everyone wanted to give it a try , a singer/ ukelele player joined in and I played fretless. Lots of easy fun . EVERYONE was left with a Cheshire Cat smile .. We had several duets on the drum as its format allows playing from both sides ,

That my friends is what it's all about. Letting folks realize the magic of playing music ..Live ..together ....

It was such a hit , I decided to pick up the little brother to it .. mahogany top, MDF body same pickup only one snare sound hole .. no biggy
they can be daisy chained .. I told the Boss I wanted to start a drum circle to open the show with .. easy way for everybody to relax and come together .

Last edited:
My good friend Niles and his band , this was shot at the Red Clay which is walking distance from where I live . He's playing Saturday at the Cafe' and borrowing both the basses I built ( fretted,fretless) and asked me to bring the new Cajon ... fun soundman + sideman '=happy wolfman!

I've been working with Niles on the sound needed for Saturdays gig, he will be playing acoustic and bass. What amp are you using ?
Oh , I'll just plug into the board , you can make me sound good ... ahhh .. I have a better solution . I thought a bit .. I have a largely unused Bergantino HDN212 (700w 2x12 with a horn) cab in my parlor studio , it will be perfect . I can plug the 300w Mesa Rosette in to it and run the Bass on one channel and the acoustic on the other. It makes a perfect platform as an amp stand , I've decided to make it a long term loan to the Cafe' .

ocgbpt9tsji9greratip.jpg

This allows me to bring in any of 6 amps to suit whoever is playing ,( Including the DG30 and Blue Sierra 50) reduces the stage clutter , and gives the Artists a kick butt monitor.
Bass players will only have to bring a head.

I find it a bit ironic this Cab cost as much as the PA and JBL monitors .. Should help Rock the House .

It's the Boss lady's birthday tommorow, last year I gave her the PA and JBL's .. ..keep me around M'am it only gets better. ..

I've been working with Niles on the sound needed for Saturdays gig, he will be playing acoustic and bass. What amp are you using ?
Oh , I'll just plug into the board , you can make me sound good ... ahhh .. I have a better solution . I thought a bit .. I have a largely unused Bergantino HDN212 (700w 2x12 with a horn) cab in my parlor studio , it will be perfect . I can plug the 300w Mesa Rosette in to it and run the Bass on one channel and the acoustic on the other. It makes a perfect platform as an amp stand , I've decided to make it a long term loan to the Cafe' .

ocgbpt9tsji9greratip.jpg

This allows me to bring in any of 6 amps to suit whoever is playing ,( Including the DG30 and Blue Sierra 50) reduces the stage clutter , and gives the Artists a kick butt monitor.
Bass players will only have to bring a head.

I find it a bit ironic this Cab cost as much as the PA and JBL monitors .. Should help Rock the House .

It's the Boss lady's birthday tommorow, last year I gave her the PA and JBL's .. ..keep me around M'am it only gets better. ..
Legendary commitment! You GO Wolfman!!

Good equipment should be enjoyed by as many people as possible.. , that's why the craftsfolk who built it poured their hearts into building it .

Last edited:
tonight is reallly going to be SPECIAL .. Not only am I playing Cajon, but Fretless on the songs Niles isn't playing bass.
We were talking earlier this week and he told me HE taught Stanley Clarke a lick, I'm like yeah right .. he pulls out his phone .. him and Stanley working on the song .. whew .. So I'm bringing my Alembic for him to enjoy ... he's never had the pleasure .. Karma !

We are going to ROCK the House

tonight is reallly going to be SPECIAL .. Not only am I playing Cajon, but Fretless on the songs Niles isn't playing bass.
We were talking earlier this week and he told me HE taught Stanley Clarke a lick, I'm like yeah right .. he pulls out his phone .. him and Stanley working on the song .. whew .. So I'm bringing my Alembic for him to enjoy ... he's never had the pleasure .. Karma !

We are going to ROCK the House
Rock it Brother! Looking for more vids/audio of your escapades!! Cafe owners birthday, yes? Wish here the best for me and let her know I approve of her soundman/music coordinator choice ;~))

They are one of our favorites , the chap on bass is their drummer , the singer is his Lady they always pack the house.

Tonight's show was EPIC ! Despite the storm , we had a standing room only crowd that stayed until closing . Niles alternated on Acoustic and Bass, we had a great Electric player and Drummer.

I played Cajon for the full 2 1/2 hour show .. man o man that is a work out . The drummer and I locked in right away and had a mutual admiration society going on . He told me after the show " Man ,thank you for making MY job easier ! " Having spent the first 22 years of my Musical life as a drummer it was SO natural , weaving in an out of the Beat we stretch out the canvas and the Guitar/ Bass players were LOVING it. Kind of like a mini Little Feat groove.

It was pure MAGIC , the energy in the room was crazy .

A few guest vocalists to sing Happy Birthday to the Boss lady , and a keyboardist sat in for a few as well . While I play short sets every week , this was a WAY different thing . To be a part of a band on a Packed house night in a small venue is something you will NEVER forget ..

ROCK ON MY BROTHERS!

Last edited:
They are one of out favorites , the chap on bass is their drummer , the singer is his Lady they always pack the house.

Tonights show was EPIC ! Despite the storm , we had a standing room only crowd that stayed until closing . Niles alternated on Acoustic and Bass, we had a great Electric player and Drummer.

I played Cajon for the full 2 1/2 hour show .. man o man that is a work out . The drummer and I locked in right away and had a mutual admiration society going on . He told me after the show " Man ,thank you for making MY job easier ! " Having spent the first 22 years of my Musical life as a drummer it was SO natural , weaving in an out of the Beat we stretch out the canvas and the Guitar/ Bass players were LOVING it. Kind of like a mini Little Feat groove.

It was pure MAGIC , the energy in the room was crazy .

A few guest vocalists to sing Happy Birthday to the Boss lady , and a keyboardist sat in for a few as well . While I play short sets every week , this was a WAY different thing . To be a part of a band on a Packed house night in a small venue is something you will NEVER forget ..

ROCK ON MY BROTHERS!
Sounds like a blessed evening! So happy for you and your happiness, could not have happened to a nicer guy best I can tell ;~))

PS ... The Mesa Rosette thru the Bergantino was AWESOME. It handled Bass duties with NO problem and the Acoustic was just Huge sounding without having to be loud .. although we did go there.... I've heard they discontinued the Rosette , it's a shame it's an amazing little package.

Ironic funny moment of the night ... One of the chaps from last weeks band ( who pulled in a whopping 4 people!!) asked me " Is this a typical crowd for a Saturday Night show ? " As politely as I could I replied .. Yes .. all the regular bands we have pack it .. He took it all in stayed the whole night and learned a valuable lesson .. .. their bands normal venues are rest homes.. not exactly the rockin the house type...

Last edited:
Back