Ground & Pound Soundman saga

I’m retiring as of January 2 next year. I’d love to find something to be involved in music production as a night or two per week or month or something hobby. I did lights and sound 40+ years ago for a few bands. I just picked up guitar, so probably not playing for others for a few years.

I’ve read this thread/story with a lot of interest and enjoyment. We’ve never met, it just makes me happy that you have found this.

It really has been a dream "job" despite volunteering . It's very much completing the circle of the music community from fan , to musican , luthier , sound guy and talent scout . Even after 60 years in it , there is still SO much to learn every day.

I'm reminded when watching a Movie when they role the credits how many people it takes to bring you that slice of entertainment .

The Music biz is no different , but most have no concept of how many are involved to make even a simple evening at a Cafe work ..and fewer still truely appreciate it . The folks that build the equipment , Those of us who put on the shows .. wading through the ego's and attitdudes , the folks who keep the venue happy and healthy and pay the ASCAP , BMI and Local Entertainment licenses so everyone can play through Pandemic's , Bad weather and Economy and find a little happiness.

We do it because we have a passion for the positive power of Music and Art to change peoples lives , if only a few hours at a time.

Open Mic #31 was a delightful success , although only 2 guitar players , we had some amazing vocalists, including one from India who had an AMAZING voice and sang 2 songs in her native language that were just stunning. A troup of musical actors from a theatre close by stopped in and graced us with songs from their latest show ... WOW .. . Some of the regulars as usual bugged me to play ... "We want a night of just you playing " as I typically only play during sound checks and slow evenings. The boss bugs me about it too on occasion .. it's amusing . I remind them that my performing days are past , I am there to further their journey , not mine.

Open Mic #31 was a delightful success , although only 2 guitar players , we had some amazing vocalists, including one from India who had an AMAZING voice and sang 2 songs in her native language that were just stunning. A troup of musical actors from a theatre close by stopped in and graced us with songs from their latest show ... WOW .. . Some of the regulars as usual bugged me to play ... "We want a night of just you playing " as I typically only play during sound checks and slow evenings. The boss bugs me about it too on occasion .. it's amusing . I remind them that my performing days are past , I am there to further their journey , not mine.
When I did it, playing just came along with the job. I did it to support other people. I would go up with someone that was nervous or a singer that needed more backing. I had a friend show up one night that I was in a band with. We didn't have many musicians there that night but we had a good sized audience. He and I played almost everything that night and people loved it.

Initially I did that as well , the ever present sideman . After 7 months I usually have a dozen artist to juggle with sound checks and all it doesn't leave much bandwidth to play . A lot of newcomers who barely know their material but try really hard, and improve weekely . We used to have Jams the last 20 each night , but the folks capable of improv , or interaction have waned. I'm encouraging more duets , and collaborations ..

On our songwriters in the round night , I always let them know they have to play at least one song TOGETHER .. always throws them for a moment .. and ALWAYS is the highpoint ..

For me the best times in Music are when you are playing with and off of others .. .. forever a deadhead

Of course if I WAS inclined to play , I can play as long as I choose as I am allowed free reign of the stage ..

Last edited:
Open mic 33 was AMAZING , 16 artist played .. a record! Word has gotten out and the caliber of artists has gone up. Next week is the Halloween special , costumes and scary songs ! I debuted the Knaggs Kenai with a 45 minute sound check set , man I LOVE this guitar.

We started our 9th month tonight , had a number of really good artist play and signed our 11th artist from the Open Mic's .
Looking forward to the holiday season.

Hard to believe it's mid November ! I'm hauling out Ms. Raven as it's a dark and stormy 57 F out ..
wfrmotd8b67wxjncriri.jpg

We had a delightful mix tonight , 3 out of town artists played , all pro in town for the holidays. My oldest grandson (12) made his stage debut with me, playing conga's . He ended up sitting in with 3 other artists! He's hooked now! HAPPY Thanksgiving to all !

Last edited:
One cool thing that happened last night, one of the veteran regulars , a great bluegrass player in his 70's invited Niko to play , he's strictly an acoustic guy . Being a fellow collector ,( he's having a custom Grit Laskin Brazilian OM being made) I've been trying to hook him into electrics for the past 6 months .. He always asks me "What did you buy this week? " I pulled out the Triple soapy and he loved it , played it and had a chesire cat smile ... ."This thing is effortless, plays like butter" when he heard it plugged in , he asked if he could buy it !! I showed him the amber one on the 'Verb ... I think we finally have a convert!

Excellent!

I remember my first actual gig. I was still in HS and we had used the house next door to where I lived for rehearsal. The guy that lived there was older and divorced. He also happened to be an alcoholic and for whatever reason talked the bar he lived at to hire us to play.

I was a nervous wreck until about 2 songs in, then I was hooked.

One nice thing , his enthusiasm completely negates his stage fright , he hasn't ever had it . Starting him in such a supportive environment hopefully will be a good foundation . He's actively playing 3 instruments and itching to play more ... Now that he's been in his first jams he can take all the music theory he's learning in school and apply it to improv . Bitchen Bob , Bitchen !

10 months in and it gets better every week , one of our Open Mic Artists is playing her 1st gig tommorow at the Cafe' . She's the 14th to be booked , so the boss is quite happy with the hard work I've done and gave me a big hug . I played a nice 30 minute opening set on my Pernambuco Tonare ... man o man is that an amazing guitar .. I keep it in Open G and it just sounds like a cello .
107155d1702559408-how-many-guitars-do-you-own-20231213-solo-jpg

Last edited:
Tonight marks my 10th month as Host so .... the boss decided to make it special.... .Experience the magic of the season at our Holiday Open Mic Night on December 20th from 7 PM to 10 PM! Join us for a heartwarming evening filled with beautiful melodies and festive cheer. Whether you're a seasoned performer or new to the stage, everyone is welcome to share their favorite holiday songs or original creations. The venue will be transformed into a cozy, festive haven, and hot cocoa and seasonal treats will be in abundance. Come together with friends and family for a night of joy, music, and celebration. Don't miss this special holiday event, where the spirit of the season comes to life through the power of music

I'm bringing lots of toys , hopefully we can rock the house with a good Jingle JAM

Last edited:
Tonight marks my 10th month as Host so .... the boss decided to make it special.... .Experience the magic of the season at our Holiday Open Mic Night on December 20th from 7 PM to 10 PM! Join us for a heartwarming evening filled with beautiful melodies and festive cheer. Whether you're a seasoned performer or new to the stage, everyone is welcome to share their favorite holiday songs or original creations. The venue will be transformed into a cozy, festive haven, and hot cocoa and seasonal treats will be in abundance. Come together with friends and family for a night of joy, music, and celebration. Don't miss this special holiday event, where the spirit of the season comes to life through the power of music

I'm bringing lots of toys , hopefully we can rock the house with a good Jingle JAM

Have a great one tonight. Yuletide greetings to you all.

Back