Favorite TWO PRS Models ???

As you said, I started off with what I considered to be the Holy Trinity - partly because I only had 3 PRS guitars and partly because I thought I had a lot of areas covered amongst them. The 509 being very versatile covered the Stratty/Tele options as well as some great Humbucking options that are hotter than my 594. The 594 has the vintage feel and tone with a lot of clarity, as well as the split coil sounds too. The Custom 24 is also different and has its own unique tones that only a PRS custom 24 offers. As such, I thought that with those 3, I thought that I couldn't find models that offer something that I don't really have... Then it dawned on me that I don't have a hollowbody and having a Piezo too - although I do have an Electro-Acoustic. As such, the HBii was needed (although a 335 or Gretsch were considered, it was the Piezo that really helped). Then the Special Semi Hollow made sense as I didn't have a Semi-hollow and, as this was built on the Custom 22, which is a more modern Les Paul (for want of a comparable guitar) but different enough with all the extra options like a trem and the two extra switch positions - even more with a Special.

That's the 6 I have, if you also include the Acoustic, and you can look at that and think that there are very few gaps in my armoury. However, I don't have any P90's and don't have filtertrons either. You can argue that I don't really have a strat or tele because the 509 isn't close enough or offer everything they do. I don't have any guitars with a locking trem system like a Floyd - quite a omission for someone who loves 80's metal, Vai/Satch, Crue and quite a few others that used a Floyd to get some of the sounds of the 80's. I guess I could swap out my Custom24 for a Cu24 Floyd I guess to get that covered.

Even with 5 (6) guitars I have, there are still gaps and some of those could be covered by PRS so even 5 electrics can't cover everything. It depends though on what you consider 'essential' and which may well be situational - like owning a Floyd for a specific song but a standard PRS floating trem is all that's necessary for everything else. Maybe a Floyd for someone is essential. All I know now is that I could not sell any of my PRS without losing something that I could do without - so that makes them essential...
Agreed. You mention P 90s, I would definitely love a 594 with those.

Hahaha....I wouldn't call this thread pointless at all! Any opportunity to talk about our love of PRS guitars is a win in my book!!!

In a way, threadS about how much we love PRS guitars are much like PRS guitars themselves....there really can't be too many.

Haha...when people ask me how many PRS guitars I have, my usual reply is "who's counting?" It always draws a little side-eye from the wife, though. :rolleyes:
AMEN

Agreed. You mention P 90s, I would definitely love a 594 with those.

Only in the context of what could be missing from my collection but I don't feel the need personally and happily make do with what I have. Again it comes down to 'essentials' or owning 'just in case' and for me P90's falls into the just in case category. As I said, my 509 is my Super Strat and the guitar I use for SC stratty type sounds but if I really wanted/needed Stratty sounds as an essential, I would own a Silver Sky (or equivalent) - just like I would use a Humbucker or even a tapped humbucker instead of a P90. The one thing I can't really do is those effects that a Floyd offers which for a person who likes 80's rock, its almost an essential.

I have seen numerous discussions about which 3-5 guitars would (or should according to some) be essential and it was these that ultimately influenced my Holy Trinity post and to a degree, the first 3 PRS guitars I bought. In no particular order, the 3-5 guitars tend to be a Tele, Strat, Les Paul, hollowbody (335, Gretsch etc) and an Ibanez/SG/PRS depending on personal taste and/or need. Most people seem to think you need at least a strat and Les Paul for example and I see a lot of posts here asking what PRS they should buy based on pre 85 artists and genres and when you suggest Silver Sky, 594 or Hollowbody they often then say they have a Strat, a Les Paul and a 335 and looking for something different...

Based on what PRS models that are currently offered, there are a few I would want but all have a bit of crossover with what I have. A 594 Hollowbody offers split coil options over my HBii but the HBii has the Piezo so doesn't make it replaceable by the HB594 compared to a P24, 24-08 or 24 Floyd which offer some things my Custom 24 doesn't but my Custom 24 could be replaced to get those extra things - not that I want to trade it in for these variations. As such, I think the HB594 will be 'next' but whether the Single Coil tones are 'essential' or 'just in case', time will tell.

I am sure that many here who have more guitars than I do may well say that their collection is essential to them. I bet Tim Pierce will have a much larger number of guitars that he considers essential too to be as versatile as he is and do session work for countless musicians. Some may only need a couple for what they do, what they need etc and some of those are a 1 in, 1 out person...

Only in the context of what could be missing from my collection but I don't feel the need personally and happily make do with what I have. Again it comes down to 'essentials' or owning 'just in case' and for me P90's falls into the just in case category. As I said, my 509 is my Super Strat and the guitar I use for SC stratty type sounds but if I really wanted/needed Stratty sounds as an essential, I would own a Silver Sky (or equivalent) - just like I would use a Humbucker or even a tapped humbucker instead of a P90. The one thing I can't really do is those effects that a Floyd offers which for a person who likes 80's rock, its almost an essential.

I have seen numerous discussions about which 3-5 guitars would (or should according to some) be essential and it was these that ultimately influenced my Holy Trinity post and to a degree, the first 3 PRS guitars I bought. In no particular order, the 3-5 guitars tend to be a Tele, Strat, Les Paul, hollowbody (335, Gretsch etc) and an Ibanez/SG/PRS depending on personal taste and/or need. Most people seem to think you need at least a strat and Les Paul for example and I see a lot of posts here asking what PRS they should buy based on pre 85 artists and genres and when you suggest Silver Sky, 594 or Hollowbody they often then say they have a Strat, a Les Paul and a 335 and looking for something different...

Based on what PRS models that are currently offered, there are a few I would want but all have a bit of crossover with what I have. A 594 Hollowbody offers split coil options over my HBii but the HBii has the Piezo so doesn't make it replaceable by the HB594 compared to a P24, 24-08 or 24 Floyd which offer some things my Custom 24 doesn't but my Custom 24 could be replaced to get those extra things - not that I want to trade it in for these variations. As such, I think the HB594 will be 'next' but whether the Single Coil tones are 'essential' or 'just in case', time will tell.

I am sure that many here who have more guitars than I do may well say that their collection is essential to them. I bet Tim Pierce will have a much larger number of guitars that he considers essential too to be as versatile as he is and do session work for countless musicians. Some may only need a couple for what they do, what they need etc and some of those are a 1 in, 1 out person...
As I said I would love to own a 594 with P90’s I would agree that it is not really essential to have. First I think I would purchase a P24 stoptail or HB I or II. Years ago I had a custom 24s modified with a Ghost piezo system, it sounded really good but, I didn’t care for a piezo on a trem bridge. I’d prefer a stoptail. If I purchased another PRS one that had piezo I’d prefer 24frets but I’d settle for 22 since I’m less obsessed with the 24 fret thing.

I have to agree with you if you’re a big-time into the 80s rock sound a Floyd Rose would be necessary. I have to admit my days of playing Kramer’s with Floyd rose were over after I played a CU24 in 1989. The PRS trem in my opinion was and is so much better than FR, no hex keys and locking nut. Thank you Paul Reed Smith!

OMG? You have an Ocean Mist Glow??? :)
164-FE635-60-BD-41-FA-8134-C6-A0-BE6-EF3-C1.jpg
Do you have a pool boy that comes and cleans that thing? DAMN!!!

Even electrics ring out acoustically ;)
They do! As of now, I would only choose one PRS, for three reasons: an SE Custom 22 semi-hollow, because 1. It's a semi-hollow and light, not a cement block like the standard 24; 2. It's a wide thin neck, and I don't like wide fat; 3. It plays beautifully through my Vox AC30, seemingly they were made for each other. I love the chime and jangle.

The Santana and the Silver Sky.

The shorter scale and 24 frets on the Santana just make it a perfect guitar with so many possibilities. I love the headstock, the symmetrical body horns, and the way the trem feels on it. It also has what I consider a perfect neck. To me it’s the easiest dual humbucker mahogany guitar I’ve ever played. It also has a real voice. It sounds expressive and angry. Might be a little too midrangy for some but that’s understandable. It does what Santana wants it to do, which is also why it doesn’t have push pulls. My only thing is that only the MD and the 25th have the knobs closer to your hand. You can’t really do volume swells on most Santanas unless you have Jack Skellington fingers. However, that also means the knobs are never in the way.

The Silver Sky is the guitar that got me into PRS. I used to own several CS Strats and the SS outclassed them all and made me stand up and take a look at PRS finally. The neck is just perfect. It’s perfect. It’s the perfect Strat neck carve, more 60s than 50s but fuller than some of those incredibly thin 60s examples since John loves mid-60s Strats. The frets and radius, while small and vintage and divisive, were done perfectly and make the guitar very very easy to play. You can really dig in and feel the fretboard. Paul said that they made it feel like it’s been refretted, which is crazy. No bolt-on design intonates better.

The JM635s are the best Strat pickup ever. Ever. I’ve played many. They are clear and loud and touch sensitive and just perfect.

Small details like the rounded neck heel and the wide switch tip are the icing on the cake.

Back