Favorite TWO PRS Models ???

I did a post quite a while back and called it the Holy Trinity - try and pick 3 PRS guitars that would make up your holy trinity, 3 guitars that you could use for all the music you play etc. Ultimately, it was a post about picking your 3 favourite models that would give you, if not everything, the closest you could get - essentially your 'holy grail' that if you had to limit yourself to just 3 models, the 3 you would take as 1 is just impossible. It seemed that people were unable to narrow it down to 3, so good luck to get people picking 2.

My Holy Grail back then was my 594 (the Les Paul double humbucker type with the added option to independently split the HB's), my 509 (the Super Strat with Tele and stratty type options) and my Custom 24 (a modern double HB guitar that offers something different to the other two). I have since added my Hollowbody ii (hollow type guitar with a Piezo to give some acoustic type sounds) and now my Special Semi-Hollow (which gives a different take on the double HB but with many more options and tonal variety than any of my other guitars).

Picking 2 from those is impossible - mostly because every single one is different and offer something I cannot get from the others. I cannot narrow it down to two, every guitar can make a case to be considered, something about them, not just the tones either as you have the feel and everyone is in my collection on merit and how they made me feel...

I knew picking two would be tough. I must’ve missed your holy Trinity post. With that being said I kind of screwed myself because my third model would be my Tonare Grand acoustic that I perform with all summer..... daaaaaaaaa how could I forget that? lol

Lol. I want to choose more also. First thread was one, this one is two, Wait a while and make a thread for three or more. I’ll be able to reply to that one also! :D Come on Les give me two models you can’t live without.

This is a difficult thing!

One has to be my 20th PS Anniversary model. I love the thicker mahogany body with 594 scale length, a trem with locking saddles, narrow 408s and middle NF pickup. The thing just sounds amazing in every way, is easy to play, stays in tune for days, and has a gorgeous tone that I’ve lately become addicted to; in fact, I think it’s sounding better now than when it was new (or maybe I just have more experience with it and know how to get tones I want from it?). But whatever the reason, I can’t live without it. The tone is so good the looks don’t even factor in.

The others are very, very close. I’d have to go with The Hammer Of The Gods, my McCarty Singlecut. It has enough “PRS-ness” that it isn’t an LP clone (this to me is a good thing), but just enough “Vintage LP-ness” that it has a familiar ring to it. It has a “wallop” and deep tone that simply require a singlecut body and a thick ‘hog back. It’s the only electric I have as a singlecut, so really that’s why it’s needed. I like singlecut guitars.

The difficult thing is that I love the other models. I probably get more use out of my 594s and CU24 PS, but when I need to pack a punch, THOTG delivers big time. I can’t be without that when I need it. And I really love its specially wound 57/08 pickups.

Both of these guitars have Madagascar rosewood fretboards. I can’t quantify the role that plays, but I do like the way these sound. One of my 594s has BRW, and it’s also great, but the SC edges it out.

Note: I assume this is about electric guitars, or the Tonare Grand might replace the McCarty SC because I can’t do business without an acoustic. It’s necessary to have one in my line of work.

Obligatory pixies:

ptKq9zh.jpg

9jbLbz1.jpg

I knew picking two would be tough. I must’ve missed your holy Trinity post. With that being said I kind of screwed myself because my third model would be my Tonare Grand acoustic that I perform with all summer..... daaaaaaaaa how could I forget that? lol

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-holy-trinity.32441/ If you want to read through and/or comment....

Towards the end, my Holy Trinity became the Fantastic 4 - now its 5 but I don't think they have achieved the status of 'famous'....

Last edited:
This is a difficult thing!

One has to be my 20th PS Anniversary model. I love the thicker mahogany body with 594 scale length, a trem with locking saddles, narrow 408s and middle NF pickup. The thing just sounds amazing in every way, is easy to play, stays in tune for days, and has a gorgeous tone that I’ve lately become addicted to; in fact, I think it’s sounding better now than when it was new (or maybe I just have more experience with it and know how to get tones I want from it?). But whatever the reason, I can’t live without it. The tone is so good the looks don’t even factor in.

The others are very, very close. I’d have to go with The Hammer Of The Gods, my McCarty Singlecut. It has enough “PRS-ness” that it isn’t an LP clone (this to me is a good thing), but just enough “Vintage LP-ness” that it has a familiar ring to it. It has a “wallop” and deep tone that simply require a singlecut body and a thick ‘hog back. It’s the only electric I have as a singlecut, so really that’s why it’s needed. I like singlecut guitars.

The difficult thing is that I love the other models. I probably get more use out of my 594s and CU24 PS, but when I need to pack a punch, THOTG delivers big time. I can’t be without that when I need it. And I really love its specially wound 57/08 pickups.

Both of these guitars have Madagascar rosewood fretboards. I can’t quantify the role that plays, but I do like the way these sound. One of my 594s has BRW, and it’s also great, but the SC edges it out.

Note: I assume this is about electric guitars, or the Tonare Grand might replace the McCarty SC because I can’t do business without an acoustic. It’s necessary to have one in my line of work.

Obligatory pixies:

ptKq9zh.jpg

9jbLbz1.jpg
Great write up! Those are two beauties. I originally wanted it to be about electric guitar models but some acoustic talk snuck in. :D

Probably these two...

CQfxr1p.jpg

Sorry....I'm not very good at counting, let alone picking favorites.
Two turned into five..... can’t blame you though. Just like Mozzi pointed out regarding his “Holy Trinity” thread that eventually turned into the fantastic 4 then 5. LOL I’m believe now my thread is pointless.

I should have started a thread “what PRS models and how many are essential to own and use for your individual music needs.” Hmmm
That would’ve made more sense.

Two turned into five..... can’t blame you though. Just like Mozzi pointed out regarding his “Holy Trinity” thread that eventually turned into the fantastic 4 then 5. LOL I’m believe now my thread is pointless.

I should have started a thread “what PRS models and how many are essential to own and use for your individual music needs.” Hmmm

As you said, I started off with what I considered to be the Holy Trinity - partly because I only had 3 PRS guitars and partly because I thought I had a lot of areas covered amongst them. The 509 being very versatile covered the Stratty/Tele options as well as some great Humbucking options that are hotter than my 594. The 594 has the vintage feel and tone with a lot of clarity, as well as the split coil sounds too. The Custom 24 is also different and has its own unique tones that only a PRS custom 24 offers. As such, I thought that with those 3, I thought that I couldn't find models that offer something that I don't really have... Then it dawned on me that I don't have a hollowbody and having a Piezo too - although I do have an Electro-Acoustic. As such, the HBii was needed (although a 335 or Gretsch were considered, it was the Piezo that really helped). Then the Special Semi Hollow made sense as I didn't have a Semi-hollow and, as this was built on the Custom 22, which is a more modern Les Paul (for want of a comparable guitar) but different enough with all the extra options like a trem and the two extra switch positions - even more with a Special.

That's the 6 I have, if you also include the Acoustic, and you can look at that and think that there are very few gaps in my armoury. However, I don't have any P90's and don't have filtertrons either. You can argue that I don't really have a strat or tele because the 509 isn't close enough or offer everything they do. I don't have any guitars with a locking trem system like a Floyd - quite a omission for someone who loves 80's metal, Vai/Satch, Crue and quite a few others that used a Floyd to get some of the sounds of the 80's. I guess I could swap out my Custom24 for a Cu24 Floyd I guess to get that covered.

Even with 5 (6) guitars I have, there are still gaps and some of those could be covered by PRS so even 5 electrics can't cover everything. It depends though on what you consider 'essential' and which may well be situational - like owning a Floyd for a specific song but a standard PRS floating trem is all that's necessary for everything else. Maybe a Floyd for someone is essential. All I know now is that I could not sell any of my PRS without losing something that I could do without - so that makes them essential...

Hahaha....I wouldn't call this thread pointless at all! Any opportunity to talk about our love of PRS guitars is a win in my book!!!

In a way, threadS about how much we love PRS guitars are much like PRS guitars themselves....there really can't be too many.

What ever you lack in counting skills, you made up for in taste skills.

Haha...when people ask me how many PRS guitars I have, my usual reply is "who's counting?" It always draws a little side-eye from the wife, though. :rolleyes:

Back