Design On A Dimebag V. The Horror Episode

Ugh... How does one get a video taken down from youtube? I hate looking at myself like that

I should delete it. Some doofus is going on about not buying a Santana. Well, I wasn't going to! Things happen! There was peer pressure! I'm weak. I have no willpower. I'm a sucker for an awesome guitar.

I should delete it. Some doofus is going on about not buying a Santana. Well, I wasn't going to! Things happen! There was peer pressure! I'm weak. I have no willpower. I'm a sucker for an awesome guitar.

Willpower is overrated. Why do you want to delete a cool video like that? With all the other junk on social media, that one is actually worth watching, IMO.

Willpower is overrated. Why do you want to delete a cool video like that? With all the other junk on social media, that one is actually worth watching, IMO.

Good point! And, good call on willpower!

Willpower is for quitters...no...wait, that's rehab.
Willpower is for...nope, I got nada...not familiar with this type of power...

Meh, I left the cocktail sauce in the car for 30 min (had to pee) and it didn’t even frost over. Ain’t no thang.

You talking about the St. Elmo's mega hot cocktail sauce? I still don't understand why no one calls it St. Elmo's fire... waste of a good pun or wordplay or whatever it is.

That's a long pee! Did you have stage fright?
No, driving-4-hours-through-2-major-cities’-rush-hour-on-a-Friday-without-a-break kind of pee. I was in camel mode. :D

You talking about the St. Elmo's mega hot cocktail sauce? I still don't understand why no one calls it St. Elmo's fire... waste of a good pun or wordplay or whatever it is.
Yep, the same stuff. You need to put on your big boy pants before you eat this stuff, but totally worth it. And eating it at the restaurant is quite the experience. They’re known for steaks and shrimp cocktail, not marketing. ;)

No, driving-4-hours-through-2-major-cities’-rush-hour-on-a-Friday-without-a-break kind of pee. I was in camel mode. :D

Yep, the same stuff. You need to put on your big boy pants before you eat this stuff, but totally worth it. And eating it at the restaurant is quite the experience. They’re known for steaks and shrimp cocktail, not marketing. ;)

DANG! Boogie! Ya killin me bro! My mouth is sooo watering right now!!! So you're the hot sauce hook-up huuuh:cool:? Tell me more about this, it sounds like something I need in my life...come on..bring the heat.:eek:

Alright how about some forward motion?

Hardware:

You can't have a f@cked up-trashed looking relic guitar with shiny @ss hardware on it. These are like a project unto their own so..

Screws, tuners, and metal bits:

If you look on the internet enough you'll find dude who recommend muriatic acid and vinegar.. Pfft.. I'm not going to a pool store, and I'm not dipping Easter eggs so..

This sh!t was easy. I just stuck it in a can, shook it around, banged some stuff up, and left the stuff out side for a couple weeks. I sprinkled some fancy @ss salt on it to, for taste.

BVkEfCI.jpg

IruAKHw.jpg

DLrQZnm.jpg

I wiped 'em down, gave 'em a shine, and made sure the tuners are still working. Spoiler: They are. Next...

Rings and Just The Tip:

I cheated a bit. I dug around in my pile of parts for some older rings. I found an OG PRS ring and some other rando, but they were slightly different colors from each other so I set about dyeing them with some brown shoe polish. That's how they do that sh!t... all the plastic is just rubbed down with some 4$ shoe polish, it simulates years of nicotine. Normally I woulda just hot-boxed the whole guitar but, I quit smoking indoors and have cut down dramatically.

Since this is the PRS Forum, and we're not heathens, I dyed all the stuff in some legit Rosenthal crystal. I bet those dirtbag Fender and Gibson guys use tupperware or mason jars.

9j0vUt4.jpg

Pickups:

Again, I'm cheating a bit. Years ago, I met a guy off of the forums who sold me a beat set of Dragon II's. I installed them in a guitar, but now the plan is to take the covers off and install them over the pickups I'm gonna throw in here. I figure it's a safe bet the covers will fit, and then I'll swap the shiny new covers on the other guitar, which is sparkly and pretty.

Donors:
bSBeTNF.jpg

Hosts:
9SeEGDM.jpg

Santana Bass and a 245 treble. So far, in my mind, and without hearing them in the guitar, I think these make the most sense for what I'm after sound-wise.

Hardware Part Two:

(sigh) Okay, to tell you the truth, this was the most nerve wracking part.

Lampshades/Knobs

I love these lil' f@ckers. There's nothing cooler than lampshades, especially the clear ones. They're expensive as all hell (comparatively speaking) and the thought of wrecking two sets of these was more terrifying than the guitar.. to me.

At $60... I may as well dump a bag of weed or a bottle of Verve Clicquot down the toilet. So let's start.

You know what's so rad about clear lampshades? You can make 'em whatever color you want. Have a blue (gross) guitar? Want matching knobs? Just tape those bastards up and paint the underside. I don't think I'm betraying any trade secrets around here but... You think Private Stock tools up for a few red knobs or some sh!t? Doubtful. Lampshades are hella expensive for a reason, they're nice @ss knobs. Some dude tried to make knock offs once.. Wound up saving $5 a set, and no numbers on them.

Anyhow, I wanted gold aged knobs. The "real" relic ones have little green spots where the gold has flaked off and has started to oxidize. I decided to make some with that pile of gold spray paint (See? That lie is always coming in handy) and a little bit of green.

XnsF2vN.jpg

HUVICbx.jpg

tXMJFFD.jpg

Spraying in the rain... cause that's a solid idea.

pqwcFXn.jpg

Scarping some gold off

3SkJvrY.jpg

tape up again and hit with green

K5YMiVI.jpg

scrape the green bits back a bit

8Rp4boW.jpg

And then rough 'em up and start to remove some of the green

Aq8HmDW.jpg

Dude!!! This is gonna be KILLER! I also like the red sparkly one in the pickup pics...As a kid, one of my motorcycle helmets had that FAT sparkly metal flake in the finish, it matched the finish on my dad's boat, so I insisted on wearing it every time we went to the lake...yep...lots of paint chips were consumed, lots! Bro! I am as excited about the this as I have been about watching Shawns 15 year guitar build! Thanks bro!

Well if you are not able to do that think about what I said earlier about waiting until the weather is better. Don't feel obliged to keep us entertained in this thread. It can wait.

No, no, no, it can’t wait. The mini-series will get cancelled! If we’re going to get “Sergios Extreme Guitar Makeover” signed for another two seasons, we need to have a new exciting episode ready to air every week. As long as they keep airing right after Wayne’s World it will have a good audience lead-in from the target market.

Like I said earlier "this is going to be good", and it will be. You have just reached a fork in the road that's all. Imagine wanting a goldtop Bernie and the shop has one in stock hanging on the wall with a black one next to it on the right. Many people would take the one on the left and that's it. End of story.

You have class.
Remember, when you reach a fork in the road..............take it.

Back