My thoughts on the new [to me] cu22

I don't necessarily agree with his take on it. Or the naming process. I was just looking for verification to post that PRS has stopped producing Custom 22s. (Much to my chagrin).

Now, the numbered pickup names.....well......that is a different story. 🤣
Yeah, I think the real reason they stopped making it is the vast number of models that are 22 fret and cover basically what this does. I suspect all them eat into the market the OG 22 falls into, and it's about the most effective use of resources.

I can't agree with Phillip here, I'm glad PRS doesn't go with the Ibanez naming scheme where every feature is spelled out in the model name.

That "Special" shown would turn into "CU22HNFHSHDCT5WST" (Custom 22 Humbucker NarrowField Humbucker Semi Hollow Dual Coil Tap 5 Way Switch Tremolo")

I mean, at that point the model name is just the MODCAT. 😆

So the DGR/QT is a no go then?;)

Good to see you getting along well with the new 22. I love mine too. It was my first PRS and it will not go anywhere. The pickup change for me was the key to making it a guitar that I just love.

The pickup change for me was the key to making it a guitar that I just love.
I am well known for my love of the dragon 2 pickups (particularly that neck). And just about ALL of the custom 22s from that early 2000s era were stock with them so they work out great for me. I do prefer the toggle over the rotary switching system. But, this one has had that taken care of, so she will be left as is. 😁

I am well known for my love of the dragon 2 pickups (particularly that neck). And just about ALL of the custom 22s from that early 2000s era were stock with them so they work out great for me. I do prefer the toggle over the rotary switching system. But, this one has had that taken care of, so she will be left as is. 😁
The D2 neck pickup wasn't too bad. I was not a fan of the bridge pickups. A PTC swap over to 57/08 pickups made this guitar perfect.

Agree, did the same thing, however with a set I had in a drawer. Big improvement to me.
The reason the PTC did mine is it was when they did the pickup promotion when they first opened and I bought a new guitar that year during the period of time it was going on. This was in 2009, when you could only get the pickups in a PRS guitar. Mine are an early set when they first started etching them with 57/08 but before they added the TM to the end of that. I would have bought them an put them in myself if they would have been available for purchase.

Back