Amp Chronicles: aka "I want an ARCHON!"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Allowed? It's encouraged!

I hear that the 25 does not sound like a "small" amp due to it not being small glass/small iron. I WISH it came in head form, then I'd get a 25. That said, one reason I don't have one yet is that I want a 50, not a 100 and a couple deals came along that I could have snagged but they were 100 watters, and I just hate to get one because I'd NEVER need all that. I was actually thinking the other day, how I get a little less than ecstatic with my Mark V and all I have to do to fall in love again is turn it up a bit louder... but "that" loud is volume I can rarely get away with at home. My wife is cool, but not completely on board with cranking up a 90 watt amp at home.

One of the awesome things about these amps is half power mode. I got the 100 when it first came out and it's great on stage but even at 50w it was too loud for practice. I mean, I could turn it down but it just wasn't breathing. So I snagged the 25 for open mic nights, jamming at friends, etc., and even at 12.5w it is plenty powerful at practice. I gagged it at 25w a couple of weeks ago at a decent-sized hall and it was filling the room.

:cool:

One of the awesome things about these amps is half power mode. I got the 100 when it first came out and it's great on stage but even at 50w it was too loud for practice. I mean, I could turn it down but it just wasn't breathing. So I snagged the 25 for open mic nights, jamming at friends, etc., and even at 12.5w it is plenty powerful at practice. I gagged it at 25w a couple of weeks ago at a decent-sized hall and it was filling the room.

:cool:

At 12.5w can I play it without waking up the kids tho? Or would I need to get like a Rivera MiniRockRec to powersoak it?

So, I played my Mini Rec today. I really like that amp a lot. Not as well as an Archon though. I read all the posts above.... man I wish they made a 25 watt head. I'm afraid that I may not be able to open up even the 50 watter enough to hit it's stride.

.... man I wish they made a 25 watt head. I'm afraid that I may not be able to open up even the 50 watter enough to hit it's stride.
For a bar gigger, it's such a tough deal keeping your amp in the sweet spot for every venue. Almost impossible. I had several discussions with DG about this very issue and he was full of great ideas, but ultimately it depends upon what you can get away with. David Grissom can walk into a new venue and be loud as #%^* and still finish the gig and get paid...I can't. When I was mostly playing with the 2x12 cab, I put guitar cases in front of it, used a plexiglass baffle, turned the cab backwards, etc., and I still had to turn it down. Now, I just bounce between the master at 2:00 and 4:00. The gain goes up with the lower master settings, but there's nothing I can do, so I just go with the flow and enjoy the gig. Honestly, I'm the only one that notices the difference. And people still dig my tone. I play a 50w amp every week.

So, I played my Mini Rec today. I really like that amp a lot. Not as well as an Archon though. I read all the posts above.... man I wish they made a 25 watt head. I'm afraid that I may not be able to open up even the 50 watter enough to hit it's stride.

Maybe the new Sonzera in the new fir Namm thread will have 20 watt head and Archon lead channel
That's what I hope as well

The current 25 watt amp is just what I'd want, if it were a head. It's not small glass/small iron and I've read some comments about it sounding bigger than the EL84 competitors. The more I think about it, the closer I get to trying a combo again. There are plenty of them out there. Just don't like it that I'd immediately have to buy a speaker for it...

The current 25 watt amp is just what I'd want, if it were a head. It's not small glass/small iron and I've read some comments about it sounding bigger than the EL84 competitors. The more I think about it, the closer I get to trying a combo again. There are plenty of them out there. Just don't like it that I'd immediately have to buy a speaker for it...

Well, you could always do the combo and run it through a cabinet.....

Yeah, I don't really want a combo anyway...

So, last night I played the Mark V. That amp sounds all kinds of great. With the NF3, the clean channel Fat sounds great. Crunch channel sounds really good for 80s stuff. I'm mainly using Extreme lately for high gain stuff, as it's more open and punchy than IIC+ or IV. I was just jamming away. When it came time to quit, I turned it off, put down the guitar, and as I was walking out of the room, I thought...

"Man, I need an ARCHON!"

At this point I'd consider making a headshell for a 25. It sounds amazing through a recto 2x12. Not so much through its own cab.

I wonder if it would fit in the 50W headshell.

I try ( and fail ) to be responsible in my guitar buying, I do not have any PS guitars and all of my PRS are used ( I've had a few new one also ) just when I go " finally paid off " I'll be good for awhile something like
THIS Happens

I try and thin the herd but they keep breading all calling to me in my thoughts and now AMPs are starting to call to me ( HXDA sounds like a killer Idea )

I've got it bad, Luckily my wife just rolls her eyes and goes Oh thats pretty

At this point I'd consider making a headshell for a 25. It sounds amazing through a recto 2x12. Not so much through its own cab.

I wonder if it would fit in the 50W headshell.

You've played one through a 2x12 Recto? How much different was it from your 100?

Back