Amp Chronicles: aka "I want an ARCHON!"

• Thread starter Deleted member 5962
  • Start date
Not so different. Quieter and a bit softer (less headroom). The 5881 is a low-power 6L6, so it's essentially the same as the 50/25 Archon.

It sounds a LOT different between the combo speaker and an external cab.

Yeah, figured as much on the combo vs. 2x12 cab. Bet the combo would sound great with a nice Scumback. Just different obviously, being open back.

Thanks for the thoughts on the amp itself. Still leaning towards a 50 watt head.

I put a Creamback in my Archon 50 combo and it sounds great. A noticeable improvement over the stock speaker.

So, it's Friday, and I know everyone is waiting anxiously for an update. So here it is.

I played the Mark V again last night. I also played my Taylor 614CE and my GS Mini Fall Ltd. in preparation for a song I'm playing this weekend. It was an overall very enjoyable experience.

However, I walked away sobbing... I STILL NEED AN ARCHON! And, I want to thank you all for caring.

20160308_132353_zpss7kcyn3h.jpg

Do you use the Rivera RockCrusher with the Archon? Does it give a good tone at quiet volume?

TBH, I haven't even tried it with the Archon yet. I think the Archon sounds great at low volumes on its own. I really should try it out though. I will say, I like the HXDA through the Rivera. I can't turn it up very loud, very often. The RockCrusher helps out with that!

Do you use the Rivera RockCrusher with the Archon? Does it give a good tone at quiet volume?

At low master volume, the Archon sounds very good, but loses some aggression and dynamics. It sort of smooths out and get low-heavy. That is exactly the effect I have gotten with the Rock Crusher. I think at some point it becomes more about the speaker than the amp. Also, the Archon has so much headroom, It's all preamp anyway.

So, last night I played the Mark V25. That is one KILLER sounding little amp. I had Crunch dialed up to almost VH type tone and Xtreme even meaner. Played the NF3 and was just hap hap happily shredding away. Man, I can't say enough good things about that amp. It sounds GREAT!

I still want an ARCHON! No, I still NEED an ARCHON!!!

Another day....

Another day I STILL NEED AN ARCHON! :(

Sell a JP guitar, buy an Archon...problem solved. :p I sold a bunch of stuff to get my PS. Saved, scraped and clawed + tax time. I got rid of some stuff I REALLY liked a lot. It's all about what you really want and what you're willing to sacrifice to make it happen. I'm not rich, but I built up gear slowly over the years. I make a decent living, yes, but can't go make big purchases on a whim usually. Do I wish I could buy anything at anytime? Sure. I feel super fortunate to have what I have. So sell some of that non PRS crap and Archon up! :D
Ding ding ding!!! That's the phrase that pays.
I've been curious to try some lower watt/different speakers in my 2x12 at home...just not curious enough to spend the $. Speakers can be a pain to unload if you don't like 'em.

Back