A Little Holiday Jam With PS20 Ltd.

So in another thing I couldn't resist trying, I messed with the reverb on the drums to more closely match the room I cut the guitars in. Is it better? Worse?

Play A&R guy, and let me know!

First mix: https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-2

Second mix: https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/pedaland-3

I like pedaland-2 best so far. What I’m gonna do is listen again tomorrow with fresh ears. Let you know again. I did listen to 2 and 3 a few times or so each and kept pausing and comparing. Really cool

I like pedaland-2 best so far. What I’m gonna do is listen again tomorrow with fresh ears. Let you know again. I did listen to 2 and 3 a few times or so each and kept pausing and comparing. Really cool

I take it back, drums are a lot clearer in petalland 3. Like the mix and drums clearer on 3. NICE

I take it back, drums are a lot clearer in petalland 3. Like the mix and drums clearer on 3. NICE

I go back and forth myself. The difference is simply the amount of distant reverb on the drums; #2 simulates a larger room, #3 is a little closer to simulating my smaller room. I think it might match the guitar tone better (I used a room mic in addition to the close mics).

But honestly...I’m having a hard time deciding!

Did the A/B thing again without headphone on monitors then regular computer speakers. Pedal3 sounds all around best, hard to describe, more crisp with more depth. I dig the grove. hope this helps

Did the A/B thing again without headphone on monitors then regular computer speakers. Pedal3 sounds all around best, hard to describe, more crisp with more depth. I dig the grove. hope this helps

Thanks, Andrew! After going back and forth today I agree with you. There was too much “room” in mix 2, and it made the drums indistinct by just enough to matter sonically.

Then I decided the bass line needed some additional processing. It’s too “pointy”. I’m still working on that. I kind of have fun tweaking this stuff!

Thanks, Andrew! Here’s a shot of the workstation area; it’s very spare. There’s some gear in the rack under the larger keyboard facing away from the camera, but 99% of my work is “in the box” using software these days. I do wish I’d kept more of my analog gear...but so often clients want me to edit a new version to changes in their picture, it became impossible to do that quickly enough in the analog world - client expectations became high-speed. So I went over to the digital dark side.

Ju9RJ0U.jpg
You work station is akin to a "Tone genom lab" Les.

Well I like the idea, but for that he has to remodel the place and make it all white and that will include amps, guitars and possibly the White Westie too ;)
That’s some world class enabling!

I know where there’s a White Westie, but you would have to prise it out of the ladies’ cold, lifeless hand!

Actually wasn’t the flight deck kind of magnolia?

Last edited:
It’s akin to something from the flight desk of the S.S.Enterprise.

“Make it so Mr Schefman! Set tone to stun!!”

Oddly enough, I go back and forth between the idea of a very high-tech looking room, and a more eclectic look.

The main obstacle to getting the room meeting my taste is the flooring. I cheaped out before moving in, and had crappy looking office carpet and stuff put in, figuring I’d put the difference into important stuff, like gear.

Turns out that having a better vibe in the room would be nice. I plan to replace the flooring as soon as I feel able to take the physical punishment of disconnecting the cables, moving everything into the storage room so the work can be done, and then setting up and reconnecting the gear. My back isn’t in that kind of shape right now. So it’ll be a few months, at least. I really hate waiting.

Back