A Little Holiday Jam With PS20 Ltd.

Doh! I forgot to mention that in my earlier post!

The solo is played through a Suhr Alexa chorus pedal, set to a slow speed and low intensity. The rest of the bridge pickup track has a Suhr Jackrabbit tremolo pedal.

There’s also bass, a drum track I programmed and effected, and a Rhodes.
Can you command the Alexa pedal with your voice? “Alexa, please increase rate by 100ms.” Great sounding track Les. Loved the tone right from the first note.

Can you command the Alexa pedal with your voice? “Alexa, please increase rate by 100ms.” Great sounding track Les. Loved the tone right from the first note.

Thanks, Vaughn!

The bad news is that I can’t command the Alexa pedal with my voice; the good news is that I can control it with an expression pedal... :)

I have stealthily connected a TRS jack on the patchbay to the Alexa’s expression pedal input. So I just plug in a second expression pedal when I need to (which isn’t often).

What I’d like to be able to command with my voice is my hands!

“Hands, play like Clapton now.”

Hey, why don’t they obey??

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing. Love the picture of the studio really nice set up. Well done

Thanks, Andrew! Here’s a shot of the workstation area; it’s very spare. There’s some gear in the rack under the larger keyboard facing away from the camera, but 99% of my work is “in the box” using software these days. I do wish I’d kept more of my analog gear...but so often clients want me to edit a new version to changes in their picture, it became impossible to do that quickly enough in the analog world - client expectations became high-speed. So I went over to the digital dark side.

Ju9RJ0U.jpg

Wow! Really nice! So organized. Know what you mean about going digital, miss some of my anolog equiptment also. But digital is also amazing in its own right. Hell I even use fractal AX8 My tube amps are collecting dust LOL you got some awesome amps there, how old is that Mesa Boogie?

Wow! Really nice! So organized. Know what you mean about going digital, miss some of my anolog equiptment also. But digital is also amazing in its own right. Hell I even use fractal AX8 My tube amps are collecting dust LOL you got some awesome amps there, how old is that Mesa Boogie?

You’re right that digital is awesome, but it’s a little different, too. Some of the nonlinearities are missing; even in an amp, these nonlinearities vary a little over even a short period of time, a few millieconds; whereas with a digital emulation, it’s very consistent over the course of that same few milliseconds.

For me, how audio responds to those nonlinearities is one of the things that makes analog interesting. I think our ears pick up on this somehow. Then again, there are things I can do easily in the digital domain that can’t happen without a crap-ton of work in analog-land.

There’s a certain “weight” to the sound of analog gear that I like. Again, I think that’s the tiny amount of distortion and nonlinearity.

However, I’ll agree that digital doesn’t sound bad, just different. On my old console, if ad clients wanted a recall to accomodate changes to picture, it took me a half hour just to set things up in exactly the same way. With digital, I can recall settings instantly. That’s why I made the switch.

Now that I’m concentrating more on my own projects than client projects, though, I wish I could reverse time and keep my analog gear. But who knew? One always has to do the best one can under the circumstances, right?

One of the things in my track that gives the drums away as samples is their very consistency. Real drums sound a little different each time you strike them, and they do it far more than the 127 velocity switches possible with MIDI. Also, the rooms don’t quite match between drums and guitars.

It’s impossible for me to know whether this matters; I’m used to what I created. But I can hear it.

Last edited:
You’re right that digital is awesome, but it’s a little different, too. Some of the nonlinearities are missing; even in an amp, these nonlinearities vary a little over even a short period of time, a few millieconds; whereas with a digital emulation, it’s very consistent over the course of that same few milliseconds.

For me, how audio responds to those nonlinearities is one of the things that makes analog interesting. I think our ears pick up on this somehow. Then again, there are things I can do easily in the digital domain that can’t happen without a crap-ton of work in analog-land.

There’s a certain “weight” to the sound of analog gear that I like. Again, I think that’s the tiny amount of distortion and nonlinearity.

However, I’ll agree that digital doesn’t sound bad, just different. On my old console, if ad clients wanted a recall to accomodate changes to picture, it took me a half hour just to set things up in exactly the same way. With digital, I can recall settings instantly. That’s why I made the switch.

Now that I’m concentrating more on my own projects than client projects, though, I wish I could reverse time and keep my analog gear. But who knew? One always has to do the best one can under the circumstances, right?

One of the things in my track that gives the drums away as digittal samples is their very consistency. Real drums sound a little different each time you strike them, and they do it far more than the 127 velocity switches possible with MIDI. Also, the rooms don’t quite match between drums and guitars.

It’s impossible for me to know whether this matters; I’m used to what I created. But I can hear it.

Well said, for me ultimately I find the digital trade-off is one of convenience.

The color made me think it was older I guess. Bet it sounds sweet along with those to your PRS amps!

It’s a Lone Star 100. I ordered it in one of their leather options, so it looks a little different. I’m a sucker for leather amp trim! My son also tours with one, so that probably inspired me to get it.

At first I liked it, but didn’t go gaga over it. But recently I put NOS GE tubes in the 12AX7 sockets; that definitely elevated its tone to the point where it’s become a solid recording option.

The single-channel PRS amps have a vintage-style touch sensitivity, and immediacy of tone and feel that most modern amps can’t touch - they’re my go-to, main recording amps. They’re indispensable.

But the Lone Star is a very nice amp to have, and you’re right, it’s pretty sweet!

Excuse the dissertation. Long run for a short slide...;)

Thanks, Andrew! Here’s a shot of the workstation area; it’s very spare. There’s some gear in the rack under the larger keyboard facing away from the camera, but 99% of my work is “in the box” using software these days. I do wish I’d kept more of my analog gear...but so often clients want me to edit a new version to changes in their picture, it became impossible to do that quickly enough in the analog world - client expectations became high-speed. So I went over to the digital dark side.

Ju9RJ0U.jpg
Very clean and organized. Ohhh, where's that envy emoticon?

Back