Tube Rolling With An HXDA

hey, once we are on the subject of a given amp, the two things there are to discuss, with regards to changes, is tubes and speakers. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. Starsky and Hutch. Farrah and Jaclyn...

Well...see, the thread topic is "tube rolling." It's possible, even highly likely, that most folks can separate the idea of output tubes from speakers, and put each into a different thought bucket.

I know, it's a challenge, but I think you guys are up to it.

Kind of like how you can keep Kojack and Farrah separate in your mind, right?

Last edited:
Sorry, just trying to have a little fun. I don't even have an HX/DA so I supposed I shouldn't even be talking in this thread.

Me neither. I'd probably spend big $$$ on NOS preamp tubes because I'd chase Kerry Livgren's tone. Always thought that was a cocked-wah but it was Mullards and the right Les Paul...I'm pretty sure.

Yup, I have NOS Mullards. The difference in the HXDA is subtle but definitely a nice frosting on an already great cake.

...Scotch and chocolate. Beer and hot chocolate chip cookies. o_O Yes, I'll share my combinations but you may not like it.

Shrimp and The Almighty Cocktail Sauce from Heaven. I bow at thy alter!

If, by "the almighty cocktail sauce from heaven" you mean some concoction of NOS tubes...

If, by "the almighty cocktail sauce from heaven" you mean some concoction of NOS tubes...

No, no, I'm talking about actual cocktail sauce. So much horse radish in it that it'll take your breath away (literally) and make your eyeballs explode (figuratively). Best stuff....EVER!!!

Horseradish?!?!? That doesn't sound like any cocktail sauce I've ever tried. I will have to investigate.

Horseradish?!?!? That doesn't sound like any cocktail sauce I've ever tried. I will have to investigate.

Classic shrimp cocktail sauce is that chili ketchup, horseradish, and a dash of red hot sauce, mixed.

I've given up on the tube part of this thread.

Dude...Cocktail sauce is 4 ingredients...ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish , and lemon juice. Adjust the horseradish quantity to suit your taste buds:)

No, no, I'm talking about actual cocktail sauce. So much horse radish in it that it'll take your breath away (literally) and make your eyeballs explode (figuratively). Best stuff....EVER!!!
Sounds good, I like it hot! But I'm not allowed to talk about that in this thread... unless it's tubes. Tubes get hot. Are you talking about tubes? :D

Sounds good, I like it hot! But I'm not allowed to talk about that in this thread... unless it's tubes. Tubes get hot. Are you talking about tubes? :D

I most certainly am. I even got a blister pulling one out (a tube, that is!) the other day. Note to self....let them cool first, or put on the "Ov-Glove"!

Ov Glove indeed. A must for tube rollers. Do they make one for your tongue?

I like a Mullard (a 12ax7, not the duck) horseradish, lemon juice and a lowly Sovtek LPS in the PI.

Chill, dip the shrimp in, eat!

Oh man Les my winged C tubes just went out in my Friedman.. I knew for some weird reason that after I read your thread mine would go out too. Well I have three options:
I could buy a set of NOS winged C again, buy Siemens and see what's all the rage ;), all expensive by the way.. Or I could go with my personal favorite, EH 6CA7. but man the winged c we're something :rolleyes: really a great tube. My only problem is that I've only had the EH 6CA7 in my Splawn amp and have no idea what they would sound like in my Friedman. The only way I'll know is to try them out. I do like the idea of liking them and having the EH my choice of tubes, especially the price range.
I do say after reading your post on the Siemens I'm very tempted to give them a try. I personally think are amps sound similar in nature or at least I hear traits in your amp that I hear in mine and all desirable.

I'd ask Friedman support. They've probably done the most research and even they can't get more =C=s.

I do say after reading your post on the Siemens I'm very tempted to give them a try. I personally think are amps sound similar in nature or at least I hear traits in your amp that I hear in mine and all desirable.

Honestly, they sound great...In fact, after a couple of days playing, they seem to sound even better than they did when I installed them.

The tonal balance is similar to the Winged Cs, but I'm hearing a little more openness on the top end with the amp's controls set the same way. But not harsh.

Back