Tube Rolling With An HXDA

László

Too Many Notes
Recently an output tube went bad on my HXDA 30, and I had the opportunity to try some different tubes out. It was pretty interesting, so I thought I'd post a few thoughts and descriptions of how the sound changed.

I run this amp into a PRS Big Mouth birch ply 2x12, loaded with PRS-modded Vintage 30s. It's a very sweet combination with the HXDA. I had previously installed NOS Mullard preamp tubes in the amp.

The amp came loaded with Winged C EL34 output tubes, and I stuck with them until a couple of weeks ago when one of the tubes went bad. I like the Winged C tubes, but they're not made any more. Suddenly these very recent tubes are "NOS" and fetch prices that are comparable to vintage NOS tubes from the 70s. Feh. They're nice tubes, but not all that. If I'm paying NOS prices, I'm going with 70s tubes, at the latest.

I had bought a couple of matched sets of 70s NOS Siemens EL34s, made in Germany (probably by RFT in what was formerly East Germany, but I lack sufficient info to know for sure) and was saving them for just such an occasion. These tubes have an excellent reputation for vintage tone.

First, however, I tested the amp with a pair of the JJs that I'm told come stock on recent HXDAs (again, this is just what I've heard). Then I installed, and of course biased, the NOS Siemens after about a week with the JJs.

Here's what I found; this is admittedly subjective, I made no measurements:

In this particular amp, with this cab and my PRS guitars ('15 McCarty, '16 PS 20th Ltd, '14 McCarty Singlecut, '15 30th Anniversary CU24), the Winged Cs had a rich bottom end and lower midrange, and a sparkly top end. I would call the Winged Cs a "warm sounding" tube because of this balance. The tube has good midrange and upper midrange clarity, and is easy to drive into distortion. There is a very controllable "bloom" as the volume increases, and the amp loaded with this set sounded great.

The JJs are a little cloudier in the midrange and upper midrange, and a little less controlled in the low end, but they're still rich sounding tubes. I had to increase the presence and treble, as well as the balance between the treble gain and the bass gain blend, to get things closer to the Winged Cs. Once I did that, I liked playing the amp with them, and admittedly, we are talking about small differences between these two tube brands. I was actually surprised that I liked the JJs, because other JJ EL34 tubes in different amps I've tried didn't thrill me. These were pretty good. Goes to show ya, every amp and tube combination is a little different. They overdrive pretty easily, maybe even a little more quickly than the =c= set.

The NOS Siemens are tighter in the bass and low mids, with more midrange clarity, and definitely more sparkle than the JJs and Winged Cs. I'd say they have excellent definition, and after I got the amp set up the way I like it, I found that I really like these tubes. I found that with the other tubes I liked to set up the amp with the first two HX/DA switches set to the DA position, and the third switch set to HX. With the Siemens, I have so far preferred the amp in all HX mode on all 3 switches. It sounds fine the other way, but I missed some of the really nice detail that I get with this set of tubes set all HX when I tried other positions, especially with the guitar volume rolled back and the amp set pretty clean. They have a bit more headroom than the = C = set, and even more than the JJs. I liked that, because I can get the amp to do more things from clean to mean with this set of tubes. And while I prefer the HX settings, I do like these tubes with the other settings, so there's a lot of versatility.

The caveat here is that yes, we're talking about subtle differences. At first, it's hard to figure out what's different when swapping these EL34 output tubes, but as one plays, the ear becomes acclimated to what to listen for, and it's not difficult to reach conclusions about which tubes do what, and which tubes one prefers.

Anyway, it's been a fun thing to run the amp with these NOS Siemens, and they're staying in the amp. I have a spare set of the Siemens, and will probably buy more, because...of course I need a lifetime supply (given my age, a lifetime supply would be...um...not that many sets. ;)

The JJs will be emergency tubes.

Last edited:
It's really tough to give a descriptive analysis when the sonic character changes from guitar to guitar, cab to cab. But, as you said, there's a noticeable nuance that bestows each power tube brand. Personally speaking, once I fall in love with an amp, I want it to deliver the same character that I fell in love with, forever. That's something I've come to reason with because it's not realistic. After the =C=s conked out, I didn't have time to mess with experiments due to our busy gig schedule, so I grabbed some plain 'ol JJs EL. They worked. They sounded ok, but they were different. Not bad different, just...different: not the stuff that made me fall in love. So I went back to my research desk and asked lots of knowledgeable people a lot of questions.

One particularly smart individual guided me toward the new production Mullards. It seems that PRS is also wrestling with this issue, as are just about every other amp maker on the planet, so hearing their trials and tribulations made me feel a little better. Compared to the JJs, in my amp, the Mullards felt and sounded warmer, darker, more round. The JJs were crisp, articulate (to use a positive term), and less like the =C=. I can't say the Mullard was more like the =C= without big tests, but it was closer to the character of my amp that I came to love. They've been in for a couple months and have 50-100 hours on them. I like them. Too soon to know if it's love. I'd be open to other options.

I totally support Les' statement of uniqueness to the application. One tube may yield excellent results in one rig, total shite in another. Sharing experiences seems to be the best knowledge transfer on this topic.

Last edited:
It's really tough to give a descriptive analysis when the sonic character changes from guitar to guitar, cab to cab. But, as you said, there's a noticeable nuance that bestows each power tube brand. Personally speaking, once I fall in love with an amp, I want it to deliver the same character that I fell in love with, forever. That's something I've come to reason with because it's not realistic. After the =C=s conked out, I didn't have time to mess with experiments due to our busy gig schedule, so I grabbed some plain 'ol JJs EL. They worked. They sounded ok, but they were different. Not bad different, just...different: not the stuff that made me fall in love. So I went back to my research desk and asked lots of knowledgeable people a lot of questions.

One particularly smart individual guided me toward the new production Mullards. It seems that PRS is also wrestling with this issue, as are just about every other amp maker on the planet, so hearing their trials and tribulations made me feel a little better. Compared to the JJs, in my amp, the Mullards felt and sounded warmer, darker, more round. The JJs were crisp, articulate (to use a positive term), and less like the =C=. I can't say the Mullard was more like the =C= without big tests, but it was closer to the character of my amp that I came to love. They've been in for a couple months and have 50-100 hours on them. I like them. Too soon to know if it's love. I'd be open to other options.

I totally support Les' statement of uniqueness to the application. One tube may yield excellent results in one rig, total shite in another. Sharing experiences seems to be the best knowledge transfer on this topic.

I've got a set of =C='s laying around. Perhaps a trade????? ;)

I've been using the Mullards for the last year, and have settled on a WGS ET65 speaker. With my Custom 24 (57/08's) I can play an entire show, from clean to mean, by riding the volume knob, and occasionally switching pickups. They cut through a bass-heavy, keyboard laden band mix.

I've got a set of =C='s laying around. Perhaps a trade????? ;)
You are an evil - albeit awesome - man. "Go on, it's just a little heroine..." :)

I've been using the Mullards for the last year, and have settled on a WGS ET65 speaker. With my Custom 24 (57/08's) I can play an entire show, from clean to mean, by riding the volume knob, and occasionally switching pickups. They cut through a bass-heavy, keyboard laden band mix.
By myself, I vastly prefer the ET65. With my bands, I'd have to change a lot to get the same cut as the V30s. My next experiments will be with my 2x12 that has an ET65 and Vet30. Wish I was closer to the coast so I could check out one of your shows in person.

they sell it in bottles now? o_O Geez, I'm behind the times.

By myself, I vastly prefer the ET65. With my bands, I'd have to change a lot to get the same cut as the V30s. My next experiments will be with my 2x12 that has an ET65 and Vet30. Wish I was closer to the coast so I could check out one of your shows in person.

I doubt you'd be impressed!!! I was just thinking about getting a 2x12 for this amp, and trying the 65/30 pairing!

they sell it in bottles now? o_O Geez, I'm behind the times.
We in the Midwest sometimes barter in commodities common to our locale...sometimes furs/pelts, other times bionic cocktail sauce. He's referring to the latter.

And before you ask, no, we don't put heroine in our cocktail sauce.:p

I doubt you'd be impressed!!! I was just thinking about getting a 2x12 for this amp, and trying the 65/30 pairing!
I support my guitar bros when possible. :cool:

The Warehouse Guitar Speakers' entire product line is amazing, especially for the money. Mounted in my old vertical Mesa 2x12 half back cab, those speakers sound great. I'd like to swap them out for 8 ohm versions so I could get a 16 ohm final impedance, which my amp really likes.

I support my guitar bros when possible. :cool:

The Warehouse Guitar Speakers' entire product line is amazing, especially for the money. Mounted in my old vertical Mesa 2x12 half back cab, those speakers sound great. I'd like to swap them out for 8 ohm versions so I could get a 16 ohm final impedance, which my amp really likes.

I have to say that I REALLY liked the Scumback M-65 in my amp too!!! It sounded better with the amp turned up. The ET65 sounds better on the cleaner stuff.

What was the topic again? :D

(I really want to try a Scumback or two with my Custom 50 but have sworn to buying NOTHING else until I get an Archon).

I'm really interested in this tube talk though, because according to many, several of the brands have improved over the last couple years and some of the new stuff is really pretty good.

I have to say that I REALLY liked the Scumback M-65 in my amp too!!! It sounded better with the amp turned up. The ET65 sounds better on the cleaner stuff.
Do you have the M55 or M75s?

The Scumback options are SO compelling! I've really really wanted to grab a couple and see if I could do the "greenback thing" with one of my 2x12s...and do it justice. That can be extremely cab-dependent, too, and my vert 2x12s are unique animals: very un-1960a/b.

several of the brands have improved over the last couple years and some of the new stuff is really pretty good.
That is so true. These new production Mullards are making me happy.

Last edited:
Reading a couple year old thread at TGP where guys 2 years ago were saying they weren't that great, had some reliability issues, etc. Seems in the last year or so, most who have tried them say they are both better built, and sound better. I keep wanting to try some Mullard EL34's in my Custom 50.

Do you have the M55 or M75s?

The Scumback options are SO compelling! I've really really wanted to grab a couple and see if I could do the "greenback thing" with one of my 2x12s...and do it justice. That can be extremely cab-dependent, too, and my vert 2x12s are unique animals: very un-1960a/b.

That is so true. These new production Mullards are making me happy.

Sorry, M75, 65 watts.

Not that you guys hijacked the thread, turning it into a speaker thread or anything...:rolleyes:

hey, once we are on the subject of a given amp, the two things there are to discuss, with regards to changes, is tubes and speakers. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. Starsky and Hutch. Farrah and Jaclyn...

Back