Zebra Humbuckers: Cool or Cheesy?

• Cool

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Cheesy

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters
The dozen shades of white/off-white/cream/parchment/aged white/"mint" is a absolute minefield for putting together a Strat, at least we don't have to deal with that here.

I would never pick zebras for myself but they certainly look nice on the right guitar.

I can't stand zebra pickups. Actually, any plastic on a guitar must be black or I'll be swapping it out fast. And black plastic would be better if it was ebony (or a different colored wood) instead, but that's another conversation.
I like the plastic pickup rings, switch tips, bindings, etc. They're traditional electric guitar trim. Generally that'd be ivory for me, but black looks great on certain finishes.

I usually feel the wood rings, knobs and switch tips are too frou-frou, and a guitar looks tarted up with that stuff, though ebony isn't bad because it's subtle. Sometimes the maple or rosewood rings miss the mark and clash with the finish.

OK some folks like to roll that way, I get it. ;)

I have wood bindings on a couple of PS models (came with those runs), but I left the plastic rings and tips alone. I'm fine with Zebra pickups, though they aren't my first choice. We're all different, can't please everyone!

Last edited:
Back