Would you consider the SE McCarty to be a dark or muddy sounding guitar?

cmich722

I'm deciding between the SE McCarty and an SE Custom 24, but I can't try them beforehand.

My main amp is kind of dark (PRS MT15), so I'm worried the McCarty will be too dark. My main guitar with that amp is an Epi Les Paul with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, and it's still kind of dark. The SE Custom looks like it will be brighter, but I really want the McCarty based on it's aesthetics and hardtail bridge.

The sound I'm after is just your generic high gain rock sounds (hence the amp).

Thanks

Get The McCarty. Each Guitar (No Matter The Guitar) Is Unique In And Of Itself But I Wouldn't Call Any McCarty Dark Nor Would I Call The 24 Dark Either. For What You Said You Are Lookin For, The McCarty Would Be My Hands Down Choice Without Hesitation.

It is darker sounding than any other guitar I own, including a 2007 core McCarty. Having said that, it can be brightened up with a treble booster or eq pedal. Thinking of making it my slide rig with open tunings.

It is darker sounding than any other guitar I own, including a 2007 core McCarty. Having said that, it can be brightened up with a treble booster or eq pedal. Thinking of making it my slide rig with open tunings.
Would changing the bridge pickup to something like the PRS \m/ help, or is it more about the guitar being dark?

Would changing the bridge pickup to something like the PRS \m/ help, or is it more about the guitar being dark?
Good question. Some of the other folks could weigh in on this as I like to change settings or use pedals before swapping out pickups. Amp choice can really make a difference. A Marshall or Vox probably would sound better than the Fender type amps I run. I recommend testing one out with your amp first.

The Key Is To Really See What The Guitar You Get Does As Is. It May Need Nothing And Be Perfect As Is. Once You Know For Certain What Your Guitars Natural Attributes Are Then You Can Adjust From There In Various Directions If That Is Necessary. As I Said Earlier...No Two Guitars Are Identical So Any Advice OR Direction On What To Do Before You Have The Guitar In Hand Is A Crap Shoot.

Regarding The Pickups...Same Thing. See What The Guitar Needs (If Anything). The \m/ Is A Great Pickup...Well Balanced, Nice Attack And Response, Etc.

It All Depends On What You Are Going After And What Works For You.

Last edited:
You can always raise the pickups if they're too dark, for you. My guitar has the same pickups and raising them brightened them up, substantially. However, I now also have to lower the volume to play clean, as raising the pickups made the output hotter.

You can always raise the pickups if they're too dark, for you. My guitar has the same pickups and raising them brightened them up, substantially. However, I now also have to lower the volume to play clean, as raising the pickups made the output hotter.
I raised mine just a touch recently and it really helped. It has that twangy Neil Young sound now.

with PRS pickups I’ve found that raising or lowering the pickups even 1/2 a turn can make a big difference in the tone. Bright/Dark
Agreed. Small changes can make big differences. Typically I find a sweet spot to my ear that can be thrown out of whack byn
just a half turn, even sometimes it seems like a quarter turn.

If it’s too dark, you can also change the string brand. That has a tremendous effect on the tone. That’s aside from raising/lowering and actually finding the sweet spot on your amp which will be different for each guitar. Unlike most guitars, lowering the volume slightly may give you what you want.

Back