Ordered a McCarty 594 SE - Opinions welcome!

psassaman

bqmnrcerqpi76vcbu3od.jpg

What's up guys - I ordered a McCarty 594 SE yesterday based off of reviews, my experience with the quality of the DGT SE, and also my love for my Core McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow.

This top is one of the main reasons I ordered THIS specific one. Sheesh - it's hard to believe that's a veneer top.

My reason for posting is... How close to the picture do you think the actual guitar will look? I'll be honest, my 10 top Core McCarty is in the same ballpark flame-wise. This thing is truly impressive looking for a sub-1k guitar. But I know how pictures can be enhanced, proper lighting, etc.

Really looking forward to getting it and digging in on it. I love my Core 594, but really dislike the idea of gigging it/beating it up/it getting lifted- I've been grabbing my other guitars to take to the gig instead of my Core 594. This will hopefully serve that purpose.

Anyone played an SE MC594? Feedback appreciated on how close it is to the Core model/any notable differences that aren't already listed on the spec sheet. I've heard pickups are very close to the Core. How is the coil split? I love running neck split/bridge hum - has an airy top to the note (that may be part of it being a semi-hollow too). Just curious!

Appreciate any feedback.
Payton

jnmvwyefgkpfbmnjabph.webp

I asked them to take a photo of it in natural light - this is what they sent me. Pretty crazy how the flame somewhat disappears and more red is apparent. I know lighting is a huge thing for photos and for flame tops, but I was kind of blown away that these are the same guitars.

Maple light refraction is a fickle thing in my opinion. Some tops are stellar looking in the right light angle.

That axe looks great! I like your reasoning in why you purchased it. Post pics when you receive the guitar. Its going to look different again (not bad!) when its been in your hands!

With flame tops so much depends on the angle you're looking at it from, and how it catches the light. Here's my 10-top HBII. Shot straight-on, the flame from the bridge and below on the left half largely disappears, compared to how it looks shot from an angle looking up toward the headstock.
Sure, the pic they posted to help sell the guitar really emphasizes the flame, but it's definitely in there, just depends on the light and angle. You'll see it in person, no doubt!
Core-HB-Front-Back.jpg

Core-HB-Flame.jpg

I like mine. There is some good and some not so good. It’s not a core but it’s a cool guitar, maybe even great with some work.

As has been said, anGle is going to make it vary, a lot. My 594 Joe Walsh looks kinda bland when you look at it straight on. But, sitting on the couch, and looking at it from that angle, where I am viewing upwards, and it is spectacular.
Angles and lighting matter alot on flame tops. On my 35th lookin at it straight on, the flame disappears. It comes back looking up towards the neck. It also helps to have a light source pointed at the guitar, slightly offset to prevent reflection of the source. That'll make em pop for sure..

I've been noticing more and more dealers heavily editing their photos to make tops and finishes visually pop. Pumping up the contrast, saturation, highlights, etc. It's a hard thing for me to describe, but if you've ever spent time playing with the photo editing tools on your phone or computer, it becomes pretty easy to see when it's been done.

This top is one of the main reasons I ordered THIS specific one. Sheesh - it's hard to believe that's a veneer top.

First of all, congrats on a cool guitar.

You shouldn’t be surprised by the veneer. I would expect better figure (and tops) from a veneer. Since it’s a paper thin cut, many tops can come from a single billet as opposed to a single carved one. I would anticipate the veneer manufacturer picking a really good billet since many tops can be produced from it.

First of all, congrats on a cool guitar.

You shouldn’t be surprised by the veneer. I would expect better figure (and tops) from a veneer. Since it’s a paper thin cut, many tops can come from a single billet as opposed to a single carved one. I would anticipate the veneer manufacturer picking a really good billet since many tops can be produced from it.
How do they slice that so thin with no tear out? With a saw or a knife or a plane?

And then what? How do they get it to bend and conform to the shape carved into the plain maple top underneath? Do they need to heat it or even wet it? What kind of glue would hold it down a lifetime and I wonder how long it needs to dry?

I'd like to see it done.

I'd imagine PRS purchases the flame maple veneers already thin sliced in book matched sheets, and ready to cut to size from a wood supplier overseas.

How do they slice that so thin with no tear out? With a saw or a knife or a plane?

And then what? How do they get it to bend and conform to the shape carved into the plain maple top underneath? Do they need to heat it or even wet it? What kind of glue would hold it down a lifetime and I wonder how long it needs to dry?

I'd like to see it done.

I'd imagine PRS purchases the flame maple veneers already thin sliced in book matched sheets, and ready to cut to size from a wood supplier overseas.
Some of your questions are answered here at about 8 min (btw, the whole video is pretty cool and worth checking out!)

As others have said, the angle plays a huge part in that. My Tremonti has flame that disappears from certain angles. When I first saw it at Experience, I was thrilled to find a Tremonti (I'd been looking for several years), but the figuring was underwhelming. I picked it up and looked at it again, and the figuring popped out more.

This is pretty close to how it appeared on the table. The angle is from a little higher, but you can see there are sections w/little or no flame, like around the knobs.

Tremonti02.jpg

http://tignanelli.com/images/instruments/prs/tremonti/Tremonti02.jpg (if the link doesn't work).

But change the angle and...

Tremonti06.jpg

My 594 MC SE and Epiphone 59 Les Paul reissue are the first guitars I have owned with a maple veneer over the maple cap. I have a 2007 McCarty sunburst, and while not a ten top, has a stunning amount of flame. Not really fair to compare them, but the veneer and finish on the SE is very nice.
I can’t compare it to a 594 core, and I must admit I am very curious to try one. My “old” McCarty is a tremendous piece of work and it is a joy to play since I bought it new over fifteen years ago. However the scale length and size of the neck on the SE is almost perfect. I don’t mind 25” necks, but they feel just a little bit off for my tastes. That, and the lack of independent volume and tone controls for each pickup are my only criticism of the older McCarty. It plays great and it has a very refined feel and sound.
So what about the MC594 SE? Where the old model is smooth sounding, the SE is a little more raucous. It loves to party. Like a good Les Paul, it has a personality all of its own. But it isn’t a Les Paul and anyone expecting that should buy a Les Paul. It has a lot of similarities but it weighs a lot less, and this gives it a sound that sits between an SG and a Les Paul, not a bad thing at all. In short, this guitar is a lot of fun. It needed a little more tweaking and a setup as opposed to a core model, but it isn’t as precious either. I have a Silver Sky SE and I think it has that sense of fun as well. For the money both of them have a lot to offer.

I have three SE's with nice flame maple tops, but I'm currently waiting on my first core McCarty to arrive. Partly because of the full maple cap with a natural scraped edge binding, which I adore, and because I just wanted a core for the other small details that make a core what it is.

I have three SE's with nice flame maple tops, but I'm currently waiting on my first core McCarty to arrive. Partly because of the full maple cap with a natural scraped edge binding, which I adore, and because I just wanted a core for the other small details that make a core what it is.
Color me jealous in sunburst!

jnmvwyefgkpfbmnjabph.webp

I asked them to take a photo of it in natural light - this is what they sent me. Pretty crazy how the flame somewhat disappears and more red is apparent. I know lighting is a huge thing for photos and for flame tops, but I was kind of blown away that these are the same guitars.
Looks exactly like mine. The size of the flames are quite a bit smaller than the flames on the maple cap of my core McCarty, which isn’t bad, just different.

Back