Would PRS Standard Treble/Bass pickups work in a 2008 SAS?

bobbyk

I have a 2008 swamp Ash Special. Do you all think PRS Standard Treble & Bass or 1985 Treble/Bass pickups would sound good in this guitar? I’ve liked them in Standard 24 guitars.

I went through tons of pickups in my SAS..They all sounded different than they did in other guitars. My favorites were 5708 and 5815LT. Right now I have a 5815LT in the neck and 5708 in the bridge. That combo is never going anywhere.

Last edited:
Don’t see why they wouldn’t. I did a lot of pickup combos in my old SAS.

P22’s, 53/10 neck 85/15 treble, \m/ set, uncovered \m/ neck 85/15 treble, covered 59/09’s, 58/15LTs, Dragon1’s, and finally Squabbin 57/08’s. The overall winner was the 57/08’s they were perfect.

I have a 2008 swamp Ash Special. Do you all think PRS Standard Treble & Bass or 1985 Treble/Bass pickups would sound good in this guitar? I’ve liked them in Standard 24 guitars.

I have certain replacement pickups that always sound good to me that I tend to use in most of my guitars.

If those PRS pickups are pickups that tend to always sound good to you, they'll most likely sound good to you in your Swamp Ash Special too.

Was able to pick up a 57/08 for a good price to try in the bridge position, thanks To you all for your comments.
I think you made a good choice. I have never tried many other pickups in my old '99 SAS. I have a set of 57/08's in there, which were my first and only pickup change in that guitar; no need to try anything else as they sound so good!

I have a set of 57/08 pickups in my 2006 SAS with a Fralin Blues Special reverse wound in the middle. They sound really good in this guitar. I have honestly been thinking of putting the SAS pickups back in it. I don't remember what they sounded like. I don't remember disliking them. I changed them quite a while ago. I remember the reason I changed them was to get stronger in between tones so I went with a set of Fralin Unbuckers, which have been on the shelf since I put the 57/08s in it.

I have a set of 57/08 pickups in my 2006 SAS with a Fralin Blues Special reverse wound in the middle. They sound really good in this guitar. I have honestly been thinking of putting the SAS pickups back in it. I don't remember what they sounded like. I don't remember disliking them. I changed them quite a while ago. I remember the reason I changed them was to get stronger in between tones so I went with a set of Fralin Unbuckers, which have been on the shelf since I put the 57/08s in it.
I didn't like the Unbuckers. I like the sound of old pafs. Duncan Antiquitys are nice. So are Lollar Imperials.

I'm looking at P90's right now. Been watching those Doug and Pat P90 shootouts on Youtube.

Thinking about Lollars. Maybe Sanford magnetics out of Canada. Tysons sound great too.

I love Duncan Antiquity strat and humbuckers but the P90's didn't do it for me.

Got a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut I want to put them in.

I didn't like the Unbuckers. I like the sound of old pafs. Duncan Antiquitys are nice. So are Lollar Imperials.

I'm looking at P90's right now. Been watching those Doug and Pat P90 shootouts on Youtube.

Thinking about Lollars. Maybe Sanford magnetics out of Canada. Tysons sound great too.

I love Duncan Antiquity strat and humbuckers but the P90's didn't do it for me.

Got a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut I want to put them in.

If I remember correctly, I had the Unbuckers overwound. I had a conversation with Lindy on the phone about the guitar and what I was trying to achieve. I followed his recommendations. I thought they sounded pretty good in the guitar. I just fell in love with the 57/08 pickups and had the opportunity to pick up a set that were pulled out of a special run PRS so I went with them. They have shiny covers with gold screws. I can't remember what the model of guitar was they came out of but it was a higher level like a modern eagle, that much I remember.

If I remember correctly, I had the Unbuckers overwound. I had a conversation with Lindy on the phone about the guitar and what I was trying to achieve. I followed his recommendations. I thought they sounded pretty good in the guitar. I just fell in love with the 57/08 pickups and had the opportunity to pick up a set that were pulled out of a special run PRS so I went with them. They have shiny covers with gold screws. I can't remember what the model of guitar was they came out of but it was a higher level like a modern eagle, that much I remember.

I like Lindy and his pickups.

If I remember right, the Unbuckers were designed with unbalanced coils to sound brighter and more single coil like and I thought that was something I might like but just didn't.

I've used his Vintage Hots in a Strat and his Blues Specials in a Tele and liked that sound very much!

I also have a Vintage Hot Strat pickup as the neck pickup in a Tele and like that a lot too.

Last edited:
Back