Wiring and output level question

InTooDeep

Out Lobstering...
I recently modified my guitar that as the McCarty 3 way switching to only split the neck pickup. That works fine, but I'm not getting exactly the result I expected in the middle position with the neck split.

Currently I also have the resistor mod to keep some more output from the neck when split also. Pickups in question are a Duncan JB and Alnico II Pro.

I always liked to turn the neck down a bit when using the middle position on guitars with separate volume controls and I had hoped that the middle position would provide a higher output bridge humbucker sound with a hint of roundness from the neck. But what I find is that switching from Bridge only to both (with the neck split) causes a drop in overall output. So I lose a bit of that cut that the JB usually has.

I guess it makes sense since the bridge and neck are wired in parallel, so the overall resistance would be lower. Any simple way to bias the middle position to have a stronger bridge tone without sacrificing neck volume when it is selected alone? Sounds like I would probably need another switch which... which is not my preference.

Back