Wireless thoughts

G10 is now a paper weight as it won't hold a charge even after updating. Been using the Boss WL-20, it's been great.

And just got my money refunded on Reverb because it wasn't ACTUALLY in stock. Poop.

I have played around with many wireless systems.

The most reliable recently have been 5.8 GHz units from Lekato or Ammoon via Amazon - I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory, just a different "brand" slapped on. There may be a bunch of brands you will find that all offer up the same product, repackaged.

They last 5 or 6 hours on a charge (i.e. enough for a typical gig with warm up), don't interfere with wifis (yet?), and work with piezos.

The Xvive U2 units do have issues with piezos, including PRS piezos, especially at high gain - you can hear a whine. They were the first reasonably reliable wireless solution out there, but they have not kept up, and better and far cheaper solutions exist. The Donner wireless bugs I bought were supposed to be digital, but they seem to be analog in performance, very noise-prone, so boo to that false advertising.

The Line 6 G30 was my go-to wireless solution for years - I have two - but the smaller solution (that also does not involve a belt clip) of the "bugs" have been a much better implementation, IMHO.

The best solution of course varies by personal requirements, so as always, YMMV.

The most reliable recently have been 5.8 GHz units from Lekato or Ammoon via Amazon - I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory, just a different "brand" slapped on. There may be a bunch of brands you will find that all offer up the same product, repackaged.

They last 5 or 6 hours on a charge (i.e. enough for a typical gig with warm up), don't interfere with wifis (yet?), and work with piezos.

The Xvive U2 units do have issues with piezos, including PRS piezos, especially at high gain - you can hear a whine. They were the first reasonably reliable wireless solution out there, but they have not kept up, and better and far cheaper solutions exist. The Donner wireless bugs I bought were supposed to be digital, but they seem to be analog in performance, very noise-prone, so boo to that false advertising.

The Line 6 G30 was my go-to wireless solution for years - I have two - but the smaller solution (that also does not involve a belt clip) of the "bugs" have been a much better implementation, IMHO.

The best solution of course varies by personal requirements, so as always, YMMV.

Same here Steve. And no worries if they get damaged, because they’re cheap to replace.

I liked using a wireless transmitter when my amps were in a recording room and I had a control room. I pretty much used the volume control on the transmitter as a boost pedal!

At some point I went back to cables because something got funky with my system with the wireless rig. I guess I'm happy enough with cables, and even like the tone that comes through the cables I use, but I do hate tripping over them. A cable tidy on the guitar strap seems to help with that, but wireless eliminates the problem entirely.

There are times in the studio I'm operating the equipment while sitting on a roll-around desk chair, with headphone and its cable on, and it's tangled up with guitar cable, and I get pretty frustrated.

On the other hand, there were times my wireless picked up noise for whatever reason. I guess there's no perfect solution.

The Amazon one (Getaria) has worked great for 30 bucks, as Les said.

Found another G30 on Ebay, it has supposedly actually shipped this time...and was the full system for the price of a transmitter. If it actually arrives in the advertised condition, I can sell one of the receivers and get a wee bit of my cash back :).

I used to go wireless, and while I loved the freedom to roam, I never had confidence that the tone was the same. I switched back to cables. And having used PRS Signature cables, I won’t compromise for anything less. They are more expensive, but well worth it. Very flexible and no tangles, plus they wind easily.

4 or 5 years ago, I bought a G10 wireless at Sweetwater GearFest (with Boogie as my enabler). I haven’t taken it out of the box. If you haven’t tried PRS Signature Cables, you owe it to yourselves to try one.

I used to go wireless, and while I loved the freedom to roam, I never had confidence that the tone was the same. I switched back to cables. And having used PRS Signature cables, I won’t compromise for anything less. They are more expensive, but well worth it. Very flexible and no tangles, plus they wind easily.

4 or 5 years ago, I bought a G10 wireless at Sweetwater GearFest (with Boogie as my enabler). I haven’t taken it out of the box. If you haven’t tried PRS Signature Cables, you owe it to yourselves to try one.

Do the PRS cables prevent stepping on them when they're connected to your pedalboard, and you go up to the mic to sing? :D Auto-dodging cables, there's an invention we need - they sense a foot coming towards them and move out of the way...

I haven't tried one of the PRS cables, but I will. I do believe in using a quality cable when recording at the very least. I don't step on them in that situation since I'm normally sitting anyway.

Well.................I don't have the best ears. Maybe it's more of a confidence, in my head kind of thing. Maybe I want to be tethered to my amp (from my workers compensation loss control days o_O). .
If the audience can hear the diff, then go for it. Kinda think that in a mix it's lost, but recording? Yeah... I can see that.
Hell... whatever makes you happy and play, that's what matters.

When I'm home, I still do use cables. If I was in a studio, I'd use cables.

On stage with the rest of the band? Nobody out there hears any difference in tone! LOL

But, that doesn't mean there isn't one, nor will I ever put anyone down for sticking with cables, for any reason!

My biggest thing is its easier to recover from a cable failure during a show than a wireless failure.

Enjoy the wireless, they can be fun for walking out of the band circle and seeing how it really sounds. Try sitting in another room during rehearsal, it's a fun challenge.

I'm looking at cables to tell "Mrs. Clause" I want...thanks for the heads up on the PRS signatures. I was just about to create a post asking about them.

Sorry to jack your post... @Aahzz

Yeah but you're getting old, so trips and falls can break stuff (hips, arms, etc.) You're welcome.:p:D

Bwahaha (cue the post about you and me eating crayons!;))

I'm looking at cables to tell "Mrs. Clause" I want...thanks for the heads up on the PRS signatures. I was just about to create a post asking about them.

Sorry to jack your post... @Aahzz

Anything that has Mogami or Van Damme (not Jean Claude) wire with Neutrik/Rean connectors, you can’t go far wrong with. I’m sure other have suggestions.

Back