Wide Thick to Wide Thin SE

SamIV

Has anyone ever re sized a wide thick neck to a wide thin neck? I recently purchased a new SE Tremonti Custom and really like the neck profile. I have been playing for years and have always liked a thinner neck profile. I also am not so much into the blingy tops that most of the PRS guitars come with. For years I was not interested in PRS due to the thick necks and the tops, but tried one of these recently and really like it. Did not know they had different neck profiles. Was interested in another Tremonti with the plain top, non tremelo model, but they come with a thicker neck. Just curious if anyone has attempted this? I have done this a coupe times on bolt on Fender style necks with great success.

I recently bought a PRS Tremonti non tremolo- first year. The neck is only sllightly thicker than my Tremonti SE Custom. I`d suggest looking for one of those. If you don`t like the neck thickness, then it could be shaved down.

There is a used old style Tremonti for sale at a bargain locally. I am aware these are a bit different than the specs on the model I have. I played a few new models locally and those necks were larger. I am considering new as well though. Thanks for the response and looking forward to more.

Last edited:
106 views and no one else has tried this. I am not too worried about the finish on the back of the neck, so I might just give this a try when I get the new or used one if I am not happy with the thickness. Just hope the truss rod route does not go too deep. By chance does anyone know if there is someone at PRS I can email and ask about this?

I don't have much trouble playing the W/T or the W/F so it hasn't been an issue for me, but I have heard of someone who did have a luthier shave the neck on a PRS. He like the change but the resale value plummeted. If you know you are never going to sell then go for it.

I did just find a customer support phone number, and someone actually answered and helped me out. Does not sound like they recommend it. Told me I could remove a little, but if I go to far it will not be playable. So guess this is a no, no. Hope this helps someone else out in the future.

The PTC could do it for you I'm sure. If you do it yourself, just be aware that the finish is thicker than the usual Fender neck finish. Probably if you just got all the finish off and did a thin satin finish on the neck, it would be about right.

Personally, I don't find the Wide/fat and Wide/thin to be that different. I can tell, but I'm comfortable on either. Totally a preference issue though.

I am going to play the used first run Tremonti early next week and will bring my new one to compare. He is only asking $250 for it as well. And maybe just a finish removal will make it ok. Will see.

I have to say how much I Iike the way the Tremonti Custom plays. I was not a fan of PRS until I played a SE Custom 24 due to the thickness of necks of all the others I have played. I played it and the Tremonti side by side and preferred the Tremonti. And once I receive my new guitar, it was so nice to get a guitar and all I had to do was lower the action a little. No fret leveling, intonation to set, fret beveling or truss rod adjustment. And it is so comfortable to play sitting or standing. A bit on the heavy side, but I play mainly sitting these days, so that's ok. Maybe I should do a new guitar day post.

I am new here. Can you let me in on what the PTC is?

Back