Wide Fat vs Pattern

Goodsal

I have a 1995 McCarty with a Wide Fat neck, a 2018 Hollowbody II Piezo with a Pattern neck and a 2020 Special Semi-Hollow with a Pattern neck. I’ve always read that the Pattern neck is just an updated version of the Wide Fat neck and that they are almost identical. My Pattern necks both measure 1.69” wide and 0.89” deep at the nut, but my McCarty Wide Fat measures 1.65” wide and 0.86” deep at the nut. The McCarty is noticeably smaller in the hand than the other 2 Pattern necks. I happen to love the McCarty’s neck. Is mine an outlier or were Wide Fat necks smaller back then?

To clarify, I meant within the pattern and pattern vintage examples I have handled. could not say about pattern regular and thin.

Thanks for the responses but my question is not about Pattern vs Pattern Regular, Pattern Vintage or Pattern Thin, it’s about today’s Pattern vs the old Wide Fat.

Last edited:
Here's some measurements of mine at the 12th fret

Wide Fat .94
Wide Fat .96
Santana Wide Fat .99
Pattern .95
Pattern Regular .95

I have a 1995 McCarty with a Wide Fat neck, a 2018 Hollowbody II Piezo with a Pattern neck and a 2020 Special Semi-Hollow with a Pattern neck. I’ve always read that the Pattern neck is just an updated version of the Wide Fat neck and that they are almost identical. My Pattern necks both measure 1.69” wide and 0.89” deep at the nut, but my McCarty Wide Fat measures 1.65” wide and 0.86” deep at the nut. The McCarty is noticeably smaller in the hand than the other 2 Pattern necks. I happen to love the McCarty’s neck. Is mine an outlier or were Wide Fat necks smaller back then?
The necks are all hand sanded and that will make them vary.
They are all close, +/- within parameters.

PRS used to hand carve their Wide Fat necks and use various jigs along the neck to try and keep them as similar as possible. Pattern necks are CNC carved - the CNC machine cuts the neck much more precisely to its digital 'Pattern'.

All their neck shapes were recreated in a Digital 'Pattern' so that everything is far more 'consistent'. However, as with both methods, once you have the neck to its basic shape, you then need to spend time hand sanding to remove any tooling marks, scratches etc so there is going to be some variation if you're measuring to thousandths, if not hundredths of an inch. An extra couple of passes with the courser grit sandpaper may take off a bit more or leave deeper scratches to be removed.

What CNC does is not make a 'finished' neck but make every neck much closer to each other. With Hand carving, you may end up with a similar neck but could vary more between guitars (say maybe +/- 0.5mm so could have 1mm difference) but with CNC, the difference could vary by 0.2mm (+/- 0.1mm) - unless you get the 'odd' neck that needs a bit more 'hand work' on for whatever reason.

The biggest difference to me is the width of 1.65 vs 1.69, which I don't think can be attributed to sanding. Those are standard widths for Fender and Gibson guitars, and are very noticeably different in the hand. I'm wondering if and when PRS changed from 1.65" to 1.69" if that was an intentional change.

The shoulders of the Pattern are rounder making them feel more narrow ( sometimes )
Yes there is a difference between the Wide fat and Pattern in feel and measurement depending on where you measure.
that difference is about 1/32" which does seem like a lot , I'll have to check mine.

The biggest difference to me is the width of 1.65 vs 1.69, which I don't think can be attributed to sanding. Those are standard widths for Fender and Gibson guitars, and are very noticeably different in the hand. I'm wondering if and when PRS changed from 1.65" to 1.69" if that was an intentional change.
I just measured my W/F and Pattern necks, they all measure 1.69. My Pattern Regular is 1.65

If memory serves, back in 1995, necks were still carved with a Duplicarver (an old-fashioned analog jig that traces a pattern, isn't as accurate as CNC, in use since at least the 1940s that I know of, and requiring a lot of hand finishing work).

For some time now, and certainly since the Pattern necks were introduced, they're carved by CNC. The carves are now more accurate, yet there are still variations based on hand-sanding. Go figure!

I did hear Paul Smith say that the Pattern is similar to, but a little different from, the old Wide/Fat necks. I had a bunch of Wide/Fat necks on PRSes along the way, and each one felt a little different to me. Same with Pattern necks, of which I've had about a dozen or so.

I actually like the small variations between individual guitars created by hand-finishing. It helps give each one its own personality. It makes choosing guitars a bit more fun, at least for me.

I'm going to guess that, measured with a micrometer, no two Stradivari or Amati were alike. That actually seems like a desirable thing to me. YMMV.

I have guitars with multiple next patterns. If you like the way it plays, then go for it. That and sound are the only things that matter

Back