Why so much trash talk on SE's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shall get Alice Cooper "To bite their faces off"

cooper-alice-ill-bite-your-face-off%28single%29-20140820105726.jpg

People trash talk ALL guitars! Really. You either spent too much or too little, you didn't get what I would have gotten, etc etc etc.

Personally if I'm getting a cheap guitar I'm not getting one that pretends it's expensive. So I would not get an SE; I would (and did) get a Squier and save $500 on a cheap guitar!! The fact is that you can get a perfectly serviceable, good-playing and good-sounding giggable guitar for $200. Everything above that price-wise is preference.

So don't concern yourself with what others think. Really. I know many humans seem to need validation by other humans.... but frankly, I find that irritating and immature. So if others are trashing the choice you made, grow up and stand in your own choice if that choice is working for you.

https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomics-how-much-does-it-actually-cost-to-build-a-guitar?

That should be mandatory reading for anyone posting on a guitar forum.

Great information right there, and yes - it's the level of finish work that drives up the cost. No way to have high quality detail work performed by humans done both quickly and cheaply. So that explains the move of the SE Standard line to Indonesia. I've also noticed that PRS appears to position their offshore operations many years later after the other big company names do. Let the other shops beat down the trail and sort out the headaches. If PRS are being made in Indonesia, you can bet that the factory there has a strong grasp on quality fretwork.

I also think there is a bit of a trust factor here. When guitars like Squire and Tokai were first imported from Japan, they were damn good guitars and were at par or better than their US counterparts at a significantly lower prices. In fact, the 59 and 62 reissue Strat's made in Japan were more accurate than the SU made counterparts. When guys like "S" flooded the market with guitars ranging from pretty decent to real crap, people remembered the crap and not the Japan made guitars which were really nice pieces, therefore, a bit of distrust on off-shore brands.

There are also plenty of other situations like this Vally Arts and Samik and "I've been had" to some extent.

I don't understand why the OP thinks there's a mystery here that warrants further discussion.

The answer is that anyone, regardless of intelligence, lack of expertise, sanity, or want of skill/ training is allowed to express an opinion on the internet.

It's not like you need to be a member of a race of super-intelligent beings to understand how the internet works.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the OP thinks there's a mystery here that warrants further discussion.

The answer is that anyone, regardless of intelligence, lack of expertise, sanity, or want of skill/ training is allowed to express an opinion on the internet.

It's not like you need to be a member of a race of super-intelligent beings to understand how the internet works.
They are permitted to express an opinion just as I am entitled to ask a question.

I'll simply repeat myself in saying that the Bernie Marsden I purchased in 2012 is, far-and-away, the most professionally useful electric guitar I've ever bought at that price point.

I am an avid PRS player and fan, and also own a recording studio in the Wilmington NC area. I have tracked multiple SEs (with after market pickups); but the results were spectacular. Don't buy into the hate. Same thing with the S2 line. New pickups and electronics are a must, but they are awesome instruments after installation.

Agree that people talk trash on anything and everything.

Have to say... nothing beats the core line. SEs don't come close.

Not really - read it again - I wasn't trashing the SEs - they're fantastic for the money!
I didn't say one bad thing about the SE... I just said that IMO they don't come close to beating the core line. I like SEs but I LOVE the core line.

I don't get this...

I rarely see trash talk on SE guitars. They are generally accepted to be high quality guitars that punch above their weight. Sure you will have some folks stick their noses in the air but I mostly see positive discussion. Heck... I also see a lot of begrudging acceptance... Some don't want to like SE's (Or PRS for that matter) but can't think of a solid reason to dislike them.

The Marsden (Which I own) has had virtually nothing but glowing reviews.

I know this... If I play in front of an audience then the last thing they will be judging will be the guitar. The playing on the other hand....

Reactions: HtW
Comparing SEs unfavorably to guitars at other price points, even core PRS guitars, after your first sentence is the irony.

SEs were never meant to compete with the core line. Yet, people use the core line to denigrate the SE line.

https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomics-how-much-does-it-actually-cost-to-build-a-guitar?

That should be mandatory reading for anyone posting on a guitar forum.
Yes, it should...whether or not it's completely accurate.

I've not experienced any negative comments, directly. Having gigged my SE One a bazillion times, I've only had positive feedback. There have been times where I'll tote my DGT or Cu24 in my PRS gig bag and someone will go, "whoa, that's no SE!". But I don't take a particular guitar to a gig because of what people might think, it's about me and my being part of the sound and enjoying playing. The guitar I take makes that happen and often, that's an SE.

Anything negative would come from someone lacking experience and knowledge...no different that anything else in life. No skin off my chin...

They are permitted to express an opinion just as I am entitled to ask a question.

Yes, and there's the answer to your question. People have opinions.

Anyone, with or without intelligence, with or without experience, with or without training, can express an opinion.

Judge for yourself whether the opinion expressed is valid.

It's absurd to ask us to speculate why other people, on other forums, post contrary opinions, isn't it?

So just as you are entitled to ask a question, I am entitled to comment on how unnecessary it is.

Last edited:

Anyone, with or without intelligence, with or without experience, with or without training, can express an opinion.

It's absurd to ask us to speculate why other people, on other forums, post contrary opinions, isn't it?

So just as you are entitled to ask a question, I am entitled to comment on how unnecessary it is.
I'll be sure to ask you for validity on posts in the future then. Thanks for your expertise on relevance of questions.

And secondly, I posted this to try and figure out the "why." I wanted to understand where the misconception may be. I understand you may rely on your own logic to make all assessments for yourself, but I like to hear others opinions to form my own understanding. So, in forming my own opinion, you have now attacked me. Gee. Thanks. Appreciate that.

I'm not sorry for wanting to understand where someone's opinion comes from. What I am sorry for is that you couldn't be adult enough to move on to another topic you find relevant instead of jumping on here and attacking my method of understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back