Why no case for the NF 53?

I've been ranting about this elsewhere - a $3K guitar should come with a hardshell case. If Epiphone can do it for $1K, PRS should do it for $2K (S2 & Silver Sky) and should definitely do it for $3K+ (NF 53 & Myles Kennedy). Like I said elsewhere, the optics of marketing a guitar for this kind of money in a gig bag is just straight cheap.
SS is $2749 and NF53/MK are $2899

Personally the bag doesn’t bother me. The hard cases are heavy and bulky.

So PRS SE Hollowbodies, about $1.3K ship in a hard case. Obviously due to the added fragility of the model, but this shows that it's not impossible to provide a lesser-than-Core model with a hardshell case. Instead of adding to my history of whinging, I'll suggest a solution. Core and up is sorted with hard, plywood core cases. SEs (other than the hollowbody) - gig bags are grand. On the models running between and inclusive of S2 and up to but excluding Core, provide an ABS hard case instead of the gig bag adding whatever diff if any between cost of gig bag manufacture and ABS case manufacture to the base MSRP of the guitar in question. For an example of what I'm talking about, look at the Fender ranges from American Professional II up to but not including Custom Shop models (which have a hard case similar to Core). Lol - that's me done on this topic, I will shut up now and just look forward to playing and potentially buying a PRS guitar... :cool:

But what percentage of buyers do that? I would say a good proportion of this forum hang their instruments on the wall (not Les!). Touring musicians have multi-instrument carts with wheels to ship as cargo.
True, I don't hang 'em on walls. I'm a guitar care curmudgeon!

But I also don't love the 'welcome to Guitar Center' look of guitars hanging on walls, I hang a lot of acoustical treatment, and where there's space, paintings.

As a side-note, lots of touring musicians won't stick their instruments into multi-instrument carts and ship them. My son tours with two guitars in a Mono double gig bag. They fly with him as personal luggage. In the last few weeks, he's done three festival gigs in the UK, and stadium gigs at Wrigley Field in Chicago, and BMO stadium in LA. The amps were shipped in road cases. Not the guitars.

Though he'll drag 'em around on tour, he's been known to hang guitars on studio walls. He must have gotten that gene from some unknown ancestor...

Anyway, these are not 'four guys in a van' tours, this is some serious sh!t!

JdwNeAb.jpg

7pA43H7.jpg

Last edited:
True, I don't hang 'em on walls. I'm a guitar care curmudgeon!

But I also don't love the 'welcome to Guitar Center' look of guitars hanging on walls, I hang a lot of acoustical treatment, and where there's space, paintings.

As a side-note, lots of touring musicians won't stick their instruments into multi-instrument carts and ship them. My son tours with two guitars in a Mono double gig bag. They fly with him as personal luggage. In the last few weeks, he's done three festival gigs in the UK, and stadium gigs at Wrigley Field in Chicago, and BMO stadium in LA. The amps were shipped in road cases. Not the guitars.

Though he'll drag 'em around on tour, he's been known to hang guitars on studio walls. He must have gotten that gene from some unknown ancestor...

Anyway, these are not 'four guys in a van' tours, this is some serious sh!t!

JdwNeAb.jpg

7pA43H7.jpg
Les, that's pretty impressive for your son. I know I've never gotten anywhere near playing a stage like that before - Congrats to him and his band!

Les, that's pretty impressive for your son. I know I've never gotten anywhere near playing a stage like that before - Congrats to him and his band!
I will definitely pass the kind words along!

I've never done a gig like that, either.

I've had a lot of folks hear my music on national TV ads over the years, but I figure most folks use commercial breaks as bathroom breaks. ;)

This is really neither here nor there for this thread, but the Mira X I got a couple of months ago weighs less than 5 lbs. There's just something about it that makes me laugh when I put it into it's original hard case. It would literally take 5 of this guitar to equal the weight of the case LOL!
:D

This is really neither here nor there for this thread, but the Mira X I got a couple of months ago weighs less than 5 lbs. There's just something about it that makes me laugh when I put it into it's original hard case. It would literally take 5 of this guitar to equal the weight of the case LOL!
:D
That's a heckuva light weight guitar!

I weighed one of my hard cases recently: 18.8 pounds! The guitar weighs maybe 7. Might be nice to have a gig bag on hand...

This is getting to be a habit with PRS with these inexpensive gig bags. For a guitar at this cost, they should have a hardshell case.
I think hard-shell cases are becoming a thing of the past. The PRS gig bags are very well made. If I sell a PRS I appreciate the lower weight and shipping costs for a gig bag.

I've been ranting about this elsewhere - a $3K guitar should come with a hardshell case. If Epiphone can do it for $1K, PRS should do it for $2K (S2 & Silver Sky) and should definitely do it for $3K+ (NF 53 & Myles Kennedy). Like I said elsewhere, the optics of marketing a guitar for this kind of money in a gig bag is just straight cheap.
I bought a $1200 Ibanez electric. It came in a cardboard box wrapped in a plastic envelope, brand new.

Back