Why moon inlays?

Jamesred

Hi, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I've just taken the leap and bought McCarty.

Loving the guitar and finding out what an amazing guy Ted McCarty was.

I just wanted to know why moon inlays were added? Does the moon have any significance to Paul or Ted McCarty?

Thanks
James.

Fan theory: no doubt that moons are cheaper than birds, but they are a step above plain dots which still sets PRS guitars apart from their contemporaries.

My complaint about moons is that they are all the same "moon phase." I think it would have been cool to have a complete 'cycle of phases' going down the fretboard.

Fan theory: no doubt that moons are cheaper than birds, but they are a step above plain dots which still sets PRS guitars apart from their contemporaries.

My complaint about moons is that they are all the same "moon phase." I think it would have been cool to have a complete 'cycle of phases' going down the fretboard.
I agree that would have been cool, but probably would have taken away from the cost efficiency significantly.

The swoosh of the moon inlay repeats the swoosh from the top of the headstock

moons.jpg
headstock.jpg

I looked for a Dirty 100 (2009) for a long time because they had moons and finally found one. In addition to being a great guitar, three features that I really like is that the moon inlays are larger than standard, it introduced the Black Gold Color and the 59/09 pickups. I must like the Black Gold Color because I had three PRS Guitars in that color before I bought the Dirty 100.

I'll just add that I prefer the moons. I tend to prefer understatement, so the birds are a bit much for me, but the moons are one of things that at first glance may not look all that unique, but take a closer look and you'll see they are.

I'll just add that I prefer the moons. I tend to prefer understatement, so the birds are a bit much for me, but the moons are one of things that at first glance may not look all that unique, but take a closer look and you'll see they are.

What he said.

I'll add that my CE24 doesn't have either moons or birds, it has slightly oversized regular dots, but they are exceptionally colorful MOP, really nice.

I always thought the headstock shape was inspired by the body shape. That swoosh from left to right, up to down seems to mimick the asymmetrical horns of the body.

I just learned about the moons. I guess it’s cool for people who want that understated look. I am a guy who is not ostentatious at all, but when I think of PRS some of the first images that come to mind are gorgeous maple tops and the beautiful birds. I can’t imagine buying a PRS without birds. I’m taking delivery of my first PRS in July. A SE Hollowbody ii piezo. I can’t wait. I hope mine is a fantastic example. I saw a few on Reverb today that were a little underwhelming and it made me nervous. Although I’m sure I’ll love mine either way.

I just learned about the moons. I guess it’s cool for people who want that understated look. I am a guy who is not ostentatious at all, but when I think of PRS some of the first images that come to mind are gorgeous maple tops and the beautiful birds. I can’t imagine buying a PRS without birds. I’m taking delivery of my first PRS in July. A SE Hollowbody ii piezo. I can’t wait. I hope mine is a fantastic example. I saw a few on Reverb today that were a little underwhelming and it made me nervous. Although I’m sure I’ll love mine either way.

Congratulations, hope it lives up to your expectations.

Nice!

Interesting. Birds are cool, but all my current PRS's have moons and I'm fine with that. None are 10 tops currently either. My wife told me the next one I get has to have birds and a 10 top. Well, whatever it takes to keep the little lady happy. :)

Back