Why is the Custom 24 is the most popular?

For me 24 fret guitars are easier to play. Looking at two sections of 12 makes the guitar make more sense. The 25 inch scale coupled with 24 frets makes it lay into me perfect, Mechanically i can do so much more than with my SC245. The good thing about PRS though, is they can do a lot of things good, but most models only do specific things GREAT, thats why you need to get a bunch of em.

I love all three of my PRS, but my CU24 suits my style the best, is most comfortable, most versatile (if I don't count the piezo in my P-22), and rocks the hardest. I adore the 85/15 pickups!
Paul got it right first model out of the gate, all the other models are just (really yummy) icing on the cake.

I have several PRS guitars (P22, McCarty, SE Custom 24/7, Soapbar SE), Gibsons, Suhrs and Fenders. While I get a lot of use out of my P22, my go-to are my CU24s. They are super versatile, comfortable to play, stay in tune, and cut well. In my mind, the CU24 is great workhorse. The yellow one is my backup with a Tremol-no in drop d and the 30th is my primary. While I still love my other guitars for what they do specifically (hard to beat a tele through an old champ for noodling at home), these are grab and go.

IMG_1676_zpssll2zjyw.jpg

To Joe Average Guitar player, the CU24 is THE PRS - it's the flagship, and the model most people associate with PRS. When young guitarists out there aspire to own a PRS, that's the model they're dreaming about. They see 10 top, and birds, and incredible playability all wrapped up in one cool package. It's only once the gateway drug has been swallowed that people start looking at the other PRS models, in my experience - then they're ready to try other things.

That being said, for me, the guitar that started me with PRS (for the above listed reasons) was a CU24, and it was indeed a gateway drug to my favorite - the CE24.

This was my experience to a T. Guitar World ads in the 90s were drooled over. I played two CEs before I really knew how to play, and didn't bond much. But kept coming back to the look of them. Played acoustic almost exclusively for 6 years then found myself wandering back to electrics. Ended up in a band with a friend/mentor who rocked a CE24 and I started searching.

Then I found the CU24 I'm currently debating selling in a small shop while I went in for strings.

My wife bought me a DGT STD in seafoam for a wedding gift.

I received a carte blanche from my parents to pick up any guitar I wanted, as I've been at this for 25 years now. HBii is my latest obsession.

So I ended up elsewhere than the CE24. But it was still a CU24 that first got my attention during those alt-rock days of my early teens.

I also spent a lot of time thinking I was looking at a CU24 when hero's were actually using CEs/other models. At that time it was Daniel Johns, Mark Tremonti, Alex Lifeson, and Rob Baker.

I still really love the latter two guitarists.

This was my experience to a T. Guitar World ads in the 90s were drooled over. I played two CEs before I really knew how to play, and didn't bond much. But kept coming back to the look of them. Played acoustic almost exclusively for 6 years then found myself wandering back to electrics. Ended up in a band with a friend/mentor who rocked a CE24 and I started searching.

Then I found the CU24 I'm currently debating selling in a small shop while I went in for strings.

My wife bought me a DGT STD in seafoam for a wedding gift.

I received a carte blanche from my parents to pick up any guitar I wanted, as I've been at this for 25 years now. HBii is my latest obsession.

So I ended up elsewhere than the CE24. But it was still a CU24 that first got my attention during those alt-rock days of my early teens.

I also spent a lot of time thinking I was looking at a CU24 when hero's were actually using CEs/other models. At that time it was Daniel Johns, Mark Tremonti, Alex Lifeson, and Rob Baker.

I still really love the latter two guitarists.
So, you're Canadian then? Almost no one else would know who Rob Baker is in such an off-hand way.

Saw them back in 1986, before the first EP...

So, you're Canadian then? Almost no one else would know who Rob Baker is in such an off-hand way.

Saw them back in 1986, before the first EP...
Oh ya, sure am, eh.

:)

I grew up 45 mins from Kingston, and the Hip were one of my first concerts in '89. I was 5, but still. I've seen them 12 times now. Even shared a stage with Paul Langois once.

I think Rob Baker was the first pro I saw live using a PRS... 1997 Phantom Power.

/derail

Back