Why do we love a conglomeration of wood and metal so much??

il_570xN.1023881563_5frg.jpg

Should this not be in the “Beer” thread?!;)

I dunno...the kids used to think so.
Drew_keytar.jpg

This is my oldest son, years ago, sporting his keytar as soon as he got back from a wrestling match. Complete with a Joe Satriani guitar strap. The adventure of finding and picking up that original model is a story all of its own.

Now THAT IS AWESOME! :D

Why? I have no choice.

Wood & metal? My Switch guitar (charity auction 2018 - John Robson) has no wood on it at all. So I never need to adjust it.

Great thread! This is like the question of questions, the subject of subjects!

I’ve come to pay attention for the inherent tone of the electric guitar, sans pickups. That gives a sense of wonder, a feeling of being a kid again in Disneyland or something. Too little as adults do we get to be in that place.

It’s just amazing how a few pieces of solid wood glued together can make a simple metal string sound so pleasant. And so different, depending on which guitar!

Every good guitar is like an Excalibur to me, a precious artfifact to be admired and treasured. Truly great guitars, those that possess a confluence of great tone and beauty, are like magical fables to me. A piece and window into Neverland in a mundane world.

Okay basically I take GAS to a nuts level.

I’ve come to pay attention for the inherent tone of the electric guitar, sans pickups. That gives a sense of wonder, a feeling of being a kid again in Disneyland or something. Too little as adults do we get to be in that place.

It’s just amazing how a few pieces of solid wood glued together can make a simple metal string sound so pleasant. And so different, depending on which guitar!

Every good guitar is like an Excalibur to me, a precious artfifact to be admired and treasured. Truly great guitars, those that possess a confluence of great tone and beauty, are like magical fables to me. A piece and window into Neverland in a mundane world.

It's the mojo bro. It has us and there is nothing we can do about it. I for one, am totally cool with that.

Throw in the visual art aspect of it, beautiful inlays, and the exotic rare collectible aspects like pernambuco and African Blackwood etc, and sh!t happens!

Best GAS post ever. Poetic!

He still does! Saw him open for Alice Cooper and Deep Purple last year. Broke it out!

And his brother rocked like crazy. Saw J a couple years before he passed. Not much strength, handlers set him in a chair on stage (very small venue, maybe 200) in front of the dance floor and he cranked perfectly for 2 hrs. So glad I got to see this. He arrived in a rental motor home and before the show he signed a guit I took to the show. Saw him once before and he was great then too. Such an influential guitarist of such talent that I hope gets more attention in history.

And his brother rocked like crazy. Saw J a couple years before he passed. Not much strength, handlers set him in a chair on stage (very small venue, maybe 200) in front of the dance floor and he cranked perfectly for 2 hrs. So glad I got to see this. He arrived in a rental motor home and before the show he signed a guit I took to the show. Saw him once before and he was great then too. Such an influential guitarist of such talent that I hope gets more attention in history.

He certainly deserves it. He was a monster player, for sure.

They are a crystalization of our desire to play and do it well. How many guitars are sold each year, even PRS's that are admired and loved only to end up under the bed or sold when the desire cools and the realization sets in that this is harder than it seemed? It's a confirmation that we learned, mastered, or at least became compentent.. and they are in beautiful shapes and colors to boot!!.

Back