NGD Wood Library DGT but kind of a let down

joefods

Hi guys, this is my first PRS in over a decade. I previously had a custom 24 artist package and an SC 250 artist package. Both were gorgeous but I just didn't mesh with them. At first I thought maybe it was the 10" radius but over the years I started thinking maybe it was the frets. So I went with a DGT this time to give it another try. My main guitars are custom shop ESPs with jumbos so the DGT made sense. I do have a les paul custom with small frets that I get along fine with so who knows why I didn't dig the other PRSi I had. This time I wanted something less metal than my emg loaded ESPs and with more of a vintage vibe.

Anyway, I bought this guitar brand new and was a little disappointed in the finish quality. Maybe I am just being picky but the headstock, neck and back look pretty beat up for a brand new guitar. Is this typical of PRS quality now? I haven't had a chance to play it really so I can't comment on that. The top is gorgeous but everything else is a little lack luster, especially for the price. Not trying to be negative but I remember these guitars as being immaculate when brand new.
EDIT: Found another issue around the neck joint yesterday. There is a line in the finish all around the body where the neck meets. It looks indented into the wood.

Last edited:
Nope, that does NOT look new - I'd call that "shopworn" at best, but those headstock marks make it look like it's seen more than a few restrings, so I'm thinking used. I'd definitely be discussing that with the seller. I think Sergio probably has it right - customer return. I have no problems with returns being sold as new if they're still in as-new condition, but that isn't.

I this day and age where people order guitars online, play them (and do god knows what with them) for 30 days, and then return them for the next person to buy…. I dunno.

At that point I would hope that the guitar going back up for sale would be listed as "used" or "demo" not new. Of course, that is going to depend upon the scruples of the seller.

Hi guys, this is my first PRS in over a decade. I previously had a custom 24 artist package and an SC 250 artist package. Both were gorgeous but I just didn't mesh with them. At first I thought maybe it was the 10" radius but over the years I started thinking maybe it was the frets. So I went with a DGT this time to give it another try. My main guitars are custom shop ESPs with jumbos so the DGT made sense. I do have a les paul custom with small frets that I get along fine with so who knows why I didn't dig the other PRSi I had. This time I wanted something less metal than my emg loaded ESPs and with more of a vintage vibe.

Anyway, I bought this guitar brand new and was a little disappointed in the finish quality. Maybe I am just being picky but the headstock, neck and back look pretty beat up for a brand new guitar. Is this typical of PRS quality now? I haven't had a chance to play it really so I can't comment on that. The top is gorgeous but everything else is a little lack luster, especially for the price. Not trying to be negative but I remember these guitars as being immaculate when brand new.

Sure, it is technically Brand New... but it's not fresh at all.
What's the build date ? That tells you how long it's been 'traumatized' in the shop.

I woulnd't be happy with that either and ask for a full return/refund.
It could be buffed, with proper equipment and technique, but not without risk

That being said: as with all dark gloss finishes it may not take that long for a guitar to look that way anyways if you play it regularly and polish/clean it regularly.

The back and headstock finish swirls appear to be done from whomever you bought it from. The neck probably as well unless PRS had a rare mistake in their QC Dept (I doubt). Call PRS, I would think they would fix that for free and very easily.

This has nothing to do with PRS and everything to do with where you purchased the guitar from. Send it back to them.
It was from a very reputable signature dealer. I believe I will have to eat shipping costs both ways sending it back. I figured they would know how to take care of a guitar. But if this is not normal, I will send them a message and see what they want to do.

If they try to force you to pay shipping both ways, I would dispute the purchase through credit card company! That is completely unacceptable condition for a "new" guitar that costs thousands of dollars!! I must say, I am sick and tired of getting nice guitars with flaws ;~(( In 2020 and 2021, I spent well into 5 figures on 4 guitars and EVERY ONE arrived with flaws!! Each dealer has worked with me to my satisfaction, but when I spend $4k, $6k, $11k on a guitar, I want it to arrive absolutely perfect (and I have let that be known to the dealers)!!!! "Oh, you can buff that out" should not even be in the conversation nor should I be spending my time trying to get the perfection I paid for!!!!! Even if this were a problem with PRC QC (which I do NOT believe it is), a reputable dealer should be spotting these issues and "buffing that out" on their own or returning to PRS before they send it to the final buyer! I don't think that is asking a lot!!!!!! Sorry to hear you have to go through this, not a great rebirth into the PRS world but hopefully all will be adjusted to your satisfaction!!!!!!!

I mean, if you send it back… it’s just gonna get restocked and re-listed as a “new” guitar, and the cycle will repeat endlessly.

I don’t know what the right thing to say is, but as long as dealers offer 30 day (or however long) guarantees, and we as customers expect them, then we will never get back to the days of buying an untouched “brand new” guitar again.

It used to be if you had buyers remorse over a guitar then it was: F-you, go sell it yourself. I blame us as consumers as much as I do the retailers.

I mean, if you send it back… it’s just gonna get restocked and re-listed as a “new” guitar, and the cycle will repeat endlessly.

I don’t know what the right thing to say is, but as long as dealers offer 30 day (or however long) guarantees, and we as customers expect them, then we will never get back to the days of buying an untouched “brand new” guitar again.

It used to be if you had buyers remorse over a guitar then it was: F-you, go sell it yourself. I blame us as consumers as much as I do the retailers.
I agree that we are SPOILED as Americans with the return policies, but it is not like we demanded such policies with protests (dollars or other) and legislation! This is what the capitalist market evolved to offer in our part of the world!! These return policies are in some part, a factor of wanting to sell your product to anyone, anywhere!!! Therefore, in order to do so, the vendors have had to make adjustments to how they will handle things when someone thousands of miles away want a product from them!!! Now that is all good and well, but when a guitar (especially one of this caliber) goes out to someone and it is returned to the dealer, I think it MUST be given the 1,000,000 point inspection when received back at the dealer, and anything that is not perfect must be made perfect once again, otherwise dealer looses the right to sell it as an unblemished brand new guitar! I know products from other vendors I have encountered (outside of guitar world) are listed as refurbished or returned or open box when stuff like this happens, and are offered at a discount.

I think one of the solutions is, look at how high end (and some low end) cars are shipped! They are covered in sticky film that protects the paint job from being blemished in shipping and at dealer. So that stuff should not come off until the final consumer has received and approved the product. I would argue that PRS should start doing something similar. All finished surfaces are covered with some clear contact paper (static applied, no glues) that peels off. When a dealer gets it, that stuff stays on. They do set up, etc with that contact paper still intact. And I would say it should even be shipped to the customer with that contact paper still intact. Then if the consumer removes it, they have accepted the guitar as being new and without blemishes. If consumer returns it with contact paper removed, the customer takes the hit. Now if they receive the guitar and the contact paper already has scratches, dents and marks on it (and have done an unboxing video) OR after removing the contact paper they find flaws or can even see flaws through the contact paper (once again, video would be paramount here to verify the removal of that paper exposing flaws), then it is all on the dealer INCLUDING SHIPPING IMO! If a dealer receives one with similar contact paper flaws (or flaws visible beneath clear paper), they can contact PRS and tell them something is not right and work it out amongst themselves.

However it is handled, someone does need to get a handle on this and it is not rocket science!

I think one of the solutions is, look at how high end (and some low end) cars are shipped! They are covered in sticky film that protects the paint job from being blemished in shipping and at dealer. So that stuff should not come off until the final consumer has received and approved the product. I would argue that PRS should start doing something similar. All finished surfaces are covered with some clear contact paper (static applied, no glues) that peels off. When a dealer gets it, that stuff stays on. They do set up, etc with that contact paper still intact. And I would say it should even be shipped to the customer with that contact paper still intact. Then if the consumer removes it, they have accepted the guitar as being new and without blemishes. If consumer returns it with contact paper removed, the customer takes the hit. Now if they receive the guitar and the contact paper already has scratches, dents and marks on it (and have done an unboxing video) OR after removing the contact paper they find flaws or can even see flaws through the contact paper (once again, video would be paramount here to verify the removal of that paper exposing flaws), then it is all on the dealer INCLUDING SHIPPING IMO! If a dealer receives one with similar contact paper flaws (or flaws visible beneath clear paper), they can contact PRS and tell them something is not right and work it out amongst themselves.
I like this idea. It addresses a myriad of issues along the supply chain from builder to PRS to retailer to customer. If it's true that SEs all go to Stevensville first for inspection and setup as needed, I would argue that a film should be applied at the manufacturer for PRS to remove and inspect. If there's a problem under the film, it's a demerit for Cort or [insert other contractor name]. Accountability. (Though surely there's an accountability protocol now.) PRS fixes it and puts on the final film, which protects it from there down to the end user.

It's bound to be tedious, though - fitting top, back, round of neck, two sides of the headstock (with strings). That sounds like several films, no doubt die-cut around knobs, etc for each model. Then the rim of the guitar is another issue...I suppose a long thin wrap goes from heel around to heel - with holes for strap pins and jack.

Adds some expense too - but if implemented, it's the Safe Spex Protocol, the accountability prophylactic.

Back