Which MAPLE top?

Which maple top if you could only choose one?

• Total voters
What is it called when it's a flame/quilt swirl? It's kind of flame along the bottom (and less so, on the top), but it's definitely quilty in the middle. I wonder how hard it is to predict that a wood carve will come out like this. Maybe that MRI-type technology can be put to use here?
4imywQJ.jpg

.....My PS CU24 30th has a quilt top, and it's pretty, but I wouldn't have special ordered it that way. Damn thing sounds amazing, though. So there's that.

Your CU24 is WAY beyond pretty. You might not have ordered it that way, but you sure CAN pick 'em. There are a lot of wonderful guitars that grace the posts here but that one always stands out for me.

Your CU24 is WAY beyond pretty. You might not have ordered it that way, but you sure CAN pick 'em. There are a lot of wonderful guitars that grace the posts here but that one always stands out for me.

On behalf of the guitar, I thank you!

Actually, what happened was that I was ready to buy a flame top Artist Package CU24 30th, same color, gorgeous! But I was curious to see if the PS version that my dealer had sounded any different. He offered to record some clips of both guitars for me. The Core model sounded great, but the PS' tone was something I couldn't get out of my head, it really was that special. It has sort of a singing quality that I really love.

So I went with the PS version. It's the first quilt top PRS I've ever owned, despite having quite a number of PRSes over the past 25 years!

When the guitar arrived, I thought it was great looking, too, so that was kind of a bonus.

Anyway, it's a sweet guitar. ;)

In a flame I like a wide, thick, not too incredible figure. Same with quilt. And I don't necessarily want perfect symmetry in the bookmatching. Burls and spalts, anything is good with me I guess. (I've never had either one.) Painted opaque? I can't do black or dark colored guitars because the fingerprints and smudges drive me nuts. I like Goldtops (obviously), naturals, slight tints such as Cherry or orangish sunbursts, ambers, etc.. I can even do some white guitars.

I have to stop now. I'm just torturing myself with the possibilities. :(

Lloyd/Goldtop

Seeing as Mr. Smith picked 2 of the 3 tops himself (both amber tops) I can say my taste parallels his. I love looking at the V shaped flames but when it comes time to write the check, what you see is what I got ;-)

Well, I kind of like Les' reference to Stradivari, just because I have 3 with mahogany tops, one with a quilt top, and one with a flame (kind of subdued, though). I'll take my flame on the neck as long as the board is ebony and the top can be the same as my Paul's, color and all (see avatar). But 11top's pick has a strong appeal also, so I would say unfigured. The way I figure (backatacha, 11top), I look at the back of the neck while playing anyway, so I'd put my money where my eyes and fingers go.

I figure (pun intended) it's time to respond to my own pole. While I have and love them all, if I had to pick just one......

Extreme chevron fiddleback

Dig that mirror image.
Chevrons rule. I have a mild chevron on my P245SH.

Back