Which do you consider more versatile, the 408 or p22?

WorldProtagonist

Those of you with experience with both the 408 and p22, which would you describe as the most versatile?

How often do you mix in the piezo in your p22? When playing clean chords live, for example, how often if ever do you prefer the acoustic sound of the piezo over the variety of smooth electric tones of the 408 pickups?

(Also, how awesome would a p22 trem w/408 pickups be?)

I think this battle comes down to Piezo needs. I have owned a P408. Plenty of knobs to twist there, but I didn't find myself ever using the Piezo. I simply didn't need it.

P22 piezo thru a good PA sounds very pleasing. It doesn't beat an actual acoustic guitar tone, but I still get a very satisfying/useable sound. I'd get a P22 if you plan to use piezo alot, If not, go for a 408.

P22. However, if you don't ever need or want acoustic type tones, then get the 408. Personally, I like a little acoustic flavor from time to time.

I use the piezo on my HB for 80% of the gigs I play - but that is the nature of the beast for the music I happen to play "live". At home, I tend to play a lot more varied and of course play other guitars - so maybe the piezo would be exercised far less. Still, I wouldn't want to do without...

I have never played a 408. I need to fix that. Nonetheless, the piezo is almost a requirement for me and the sound I need to produce. I accentuate it with an acoustic-simulator stomp box to really bring out the acoustic sound, straight into a PA.

So: P22. IMHO, YMMV. Side effects may include head of a golden retriever...

Since the question is about versatility, it has to be the P22. No acoustic-like sounds coming out of those 408s without an acoustic simulator or something like it downrange.

I spend about half my time on my HBI Spruce Goldtop on the piezo into an acoustic amp. You can't beat the ease of switching back and forth.

As a 408 owner, enthusiast, and player, I'd have to say that it's fairly evident that any guitar that can do both acoustic and electric sounds is more versatile than one that can't.

If you need the piezo, get the piezo. The coil tapped sounds of the P22 are very good.

If you don't need the piezo (I don't) the 408 is an incredibly good sounding, versatile instrument.

As a guy who likes to keep his acoustics acoustic and his electrics electric I prefer the 408. But for covering the bases, the P22 is more versatile. That said if I wanted a PRS Piezo guitar I'd go for the HBII in a hearbeat.

So for me, the 408-equipped guitars are better. And I don't own one.....YET!

Back