Where do YOU measure string action?

kirellah

Doing some set up work on my SE Custom 24, and I'm seeing that the PRS action should be measured at the 17th fret? Is that advised? I'm so used to checking action at the 12th, which I've been doing during this set up, but just wanted to check here to see what everyone is doing for their set ups.

I'm fairly confident in setting up my relief to PRS/personal specs, as I am with setting up the string radius and the intonation, just curious where you are all checking your action height? AND, do you use a capo on the first fret for action measurements or not.

*EDIT - I see there's a string action height thread from a few years ago, sorry for another post about it, but I'm not really concerned about the actual numbers per se, mostly what fret I should measuring it and where you are all checking.

Thanks!

I always use the 12th fret.
I always thought that was the standard, good to know it works in this case as well. Not sure why I was seeing the 17th, I mean, I would think if it plays how you want, you could check it anywhere, but that's always the most common spot as far as I knew. Does PRS call out the preferred fret anywhere? I've seen 17th fret referenced for PRS setups in multiple places but nothing from PRS officially.

I always thought that was the standard, good to know it works in this case as well. Not sure why I was seeing the 17th, I mean, I would think if it plays how you want, you could check it anywhere, but that's always the most common spot as far as I knew. Does PRS call out the preferred fret anywhere? I've seen 17th fret referenced for PRS setups in multiple places but nothing from PRS officially.
I don't recall hearing PRS state the 17th, but I've not spent a lot of time watching their videos - other than for their trem setup.

I don't recall hearing PRS state the 17th, but I've not spent a lot of time watching their videos - other than for their trem setup.
I dont think they've said it, threw me for a loop when I saw other sites online talking about "How to set up a PRS" mention the 17th fret. I might just be looking for 12th fret confirmation from all ya'll haha

PRS states 1st and 12th fret:

The capo is needed for neck relief adjustment, not for action adjustment.
Ok, I actually hadn't seen them call out the 12th, and I've looked at that spec chart haha. Facepalm! Thank you though, and as for action, I was always capoing at the first for action, but I am going to start going with out it per what I have seen, and what I'm seeing here.

I used to measure at the 12th and take 2 measurements with the string as it is and another fretted from the 1st fret.

Then I just set them up to where I liked them and found I'd be within a 64th consistently across guitars so I quit measuring and do it all by feel.

Some guitars play well in "factory spec." Some don't.

At the end of the day it has to feel and sound good to you.

Back