When are you playing next?

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
A few of my buddies have been gigging up a storm, but we are still on hiatus. The summer outdoor gigs just weren’t here for non-touring acts. I’m starting to rust!

What’s going on in your corner of the world? Are you playing? Are venues returning to normal schedule? Inside and outside? Got pics/vids? :D

Here’s another one of those terrible videos of our last gig, a year ago June. I may show two to convey the sense of a mid pandemic show. Man, I miss this stuff..

Definitely not back to normal in Vancouver yet.
Haven't gigged since the mess started, apart from some outside in the parking lot stints.
My 21 year lead player quit the other day, so here I go starting again.

It's going to be a while methinks...

My band of the last dozen years was a Covid fatality, with a couple of the guys electing to retire, move off, head out to greener pastures. I was jamming with some folks, top shelf people, but we had a different idea of what “ready for public consumption” was as it relates to quality of performance, so I politely bowed out with absolutely no other options on the horizon.

I might be going it alone for a while, but I think it’ll happen once band activities resume. There are very, very few places I know of booking live acts right now.

Dave, you aren’t alone. I know lots of people that have hung up their spurs for good, which is disheartening. And if I face the facts, it’s a good thing I treated that gig as my last gig. With life’s little complications, I’m not sure I could load-in, play 4 hours, load-out, and get home at 3am again. The Kemper makes it easier, but I don’t want to be a lifeless lump on stage…jumping around may not do well!

@RickP a lot of that is happening here, too. As for the “not ready for prime time” thing, omg, do I know what you mean. Helping a group get off the ground is one thing, but when they go out a book really good venues and the suckage factor is still too high, I draw the line. Their wives had them convinced they were fantastic. Mrs. B spoke the brutal truth! :D

Dave, you aren’t alone. I know lots of people that have hung up their spurs for good, which is disheartening. And if I face the facts, it’s a good thing I treated that gig as my last gig. With life’s little complications, I’m not sure I could load-in, play 4 hours, load-out, and get home at 3am again. The Kemper makes it easier, but I don’t want to be a lifeless lump on stage…jumping around may not do well!

@RickP a lot of that is happening here, too. As for the “not ready for prime time” thing, omg, do I know what you mean. Helping a group get off the ground is one thing, but when they go out a book really good venues and the suckage factor is still too high, I draw the line. Their wives had them convinced they were fantastic. Mrs. B spoke the brutal truth! :D
I hear you loud and clear Kerry! I'll be 65 in a couple of weeks and some things catch up a little more as time goes by.
That said I woke up the morning after I got "the call" from Steve and decided I didn't want to hear the words "I'm not in a band any more" leave my lips.
The drummer and bass player are younger than I am, so I feel a little more motivated.
Currently in talks with a new lead player and will try him out on Tuesday night.

I work with an artist called Clarence “the Bluesman” Turner here in the DMV. (WPFW.org- Wed. 12 to 1) Other than that, I do a minimum of 1 open mike a week, frequently with Clarence or another band member. I spent 20 years not playing, raising two sons with an unpleasant ex-wife. I’ll never get that time back, and I’m not young. This week, 1 open mike, and then Friday night at Clyde’s in Chevy Chase, Md with Clarence. I love to play, and treat every gig as though it’s the most important one of my life. And Clarence also plays a PRS.

I work with an artist called Clarence “the Bluesman” Turner here in the DMV. (WPFW.org- Wed. 12 to 1) Other than that, I do a minimum of 1 open mike a week, frequently with Clarence or another band member. I spent 20 years not playing, raising two sons with an unpleasant ex-wife. I’ll never get that time back, and I’m not young. This week, 1 open mike, and then Friday night at Clyde’s in Chevy Chase, Md with Clarence. I love to play, and treat every gig as though it’s the most important one of my life. And Clarence also plays a PRS.
Yup, I did the music hiatus thing and the unpleasant ex things as well. Oh well... gotta keep going.
Glad you are staying active!

Definitely not back to normal in Vancouver yet.
Haven't gigged since the mess started, apart from some outside in the parking lot stints.
My 21 year lead player quit the other day, so here I go starting again.

It's going to be a while methinks...

This photo should be titled -

Daves not here

Yup, I did the music hiatus thing and the unpleasant ex things as well. Oh well... gotta keep going.
Glad you are staying active!

Hoping that things work out with the new guitarist.

I’m lucky, Mrs AR is a singer, so we’ve worked together before the kids and now we’re all in the band together.

This was our last gig (Feb 29 last year).

Just kind of stumbled into a band situation at age 73! My son plays keyboards & sings and his best friend is the leader/lead guitarist/vocalist. They invited me to practice with them a couple months ago and then when they got their first gig in 5 months, invited me to play with them. Then 10 days later another gig playing for the students at Notre Dame. Don't have a PRS yet but expect to pull the trigger this week on an SE Mira or SE Custom 22 (can't make up my mind.) I got them to add this Stones classic to their setlist so they let me sing it. Recorded Saturday 8/28/21 and it was about 85 degrees with same humidity. Lots of fun for an old geezer.

My son recorded this since he doesn't play keyboard on this one. It starts about a minute in which is good because I missed a chord change early on and it wasn't captured in the recording! I'm playing my 1996 G&L ASAT Classic through a Boss Katana 50.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5aoy1qjgqcgine/Dead_Flowers.MOV?dl=0

Just kind of stumbled into a band situation at age 73! My son plays keyboards & sings and his best friend is the leader/lead guitarist/vocalist. They invited me to practice with them a couple months ago and then when they got their first gig in 5 months, invited me to play with them. Then 10 days later another gig playing for the students at Notre Dame. Don't have a PRS yet but expect to pull the trigger this week on an SE Mira or SE Custom 22 (can't make up my mind.) I got them to add this Stones classic to their setlist so they let me sing it. Recorded Saturday 8/28/21 and it was about 85 degrees with same humidity. Lots of fun for an old geezer.

My son recorded this since he doesn't play keyboard on this one. It starts about a minute in which is good because I missed a chord change early on and it wasn't captured in the recording! I'm playing my 1996 G&L ASAT Classic through a Boss Katana 50.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5aoy1qjgqcgine/Dead_Flowers.MOV?dl=0
Great job Lee! I heard the guy your son was talking to while filming say "Your dad is really good"!! I agree!!! Congrats and have a blast!

Happy flowers!
MW

EDIT:
There was a portion in this reply that I did NOT intend to put up here (stuff about possible new band) and have since removed, so if you "liked" this post based on that, feel free to unlike! Sorry for the ghost posting!

Last edited:
This photo should be titled -

Daves not here

Hoping that things work out with the new guitarist.

I’m lucky, Mrs AR is a singer, so we’ve worked together before the kids and now we’re all in the band together.

This was our last gig (Feb 29 last year).
That trumpet player reminds me of Al Hirt! I’ve always loved a band with horns.

Back