What's your common cold remedy?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
As I lay here feeling like crap, wondering what works best for everyone?

For me it's Aleve cold & sinus every 12 hours, at night I add a good slug of NyQuil. I feel way better when I'm standing up. As soon as I sit or lay down, the coughing starts. I'm tired, just want to sleep a solid 6-8 hours. I'm usually mostly out of the worst of it after 2-3 days. Hoping by Thursday I feel 1/2 normal.

Try to drink as much water as possible.

What works for you?

Wine and cheese, I know neither are "good" for you when you have a cold... but you'll be happier.

Tylenol Cold and Flu. Available in liquid or tablet. I rock the tablets cause they are easier to pocket.
Airborne Effervescent Tablets. Available in a few flavors. I stick with Zesty Orange.
I follow the directions on back for maximum dosage.

For me: oil of oregano coupled with sound nutrition/hydration and lots of sleep!!
Get better soon bro!
How well does the oil of oregano work? Liquid or tablet form?

Zinc, lots of coffee, mucinex and plenty of the sudafed they make you sign for at the pharmacy!
I hit the coffee pretty hard in the morning, along with a hot shower it opens up the lungs pretty good. I have to sign for the Aleve as well, can't have the meth labs get too busy:)

Stay away from sleezy people and things and wash your hands frequently.....that's how to avoid colds. Once you have one, your one of the sleezy people, so stay away from the rest of us.

I pretty much don't get sick, once every couple of years maybe but even then it's because I've done something silly like run myself into the ground. Be fit, healthy, sleep well (it's been shown in tests that getting 8+ hours reduces your chance of getting a cold by up to 3x), eat properly (eat organic veg, grass fed/free range meats, avoid sugars, grains, especially refined ones), drink enough water, have some play time and also, and this is the weird part, have a positive outlook on your immune system. Probably related to the placebo effect but I hear from my friends "Oh I can't get sick now, I haven't got time" and inevitably they get sick. I had a friend experiment with good vibes and he didn't get sick for 3 years... No this isn't some extract from "The Secret", it's just one of my techniques I use to keep myself healthy and illness free, it works for me...

Ok if I do get sick, I don't take any drugs or anything, I think masking something with drugs and then taking your infectious body to work probably isn't the best idea. Get plenty of rest, eat well (as above), drink lots and lots of water (since you're losing fluid via snot, phlegm, sweat etc), make lemon and honey drinks if you've got a sore throat, and sleep as much as possible.

A good old fashioned "real" chicken soup is very good for you! Something about boiling a whole chicken until the meat falls off the bone puts something good into the broth...

I saw Oil of Oregano mentioned, I've used that before, But also, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Raw Honey, Bee Propolis, Vitamin C with rose hips, Last time I felt a cold coming on, about 10,000mgs of Vitamin C kicked it back down. All of these can be found in a health food store.

If possible, I choose a day when I have nothing to do the following day. Bottle of regular NyQuil during the course of the day. Go to bed with extra blankets. Sleep as much as possible and sweat it out.

Goldtop

I saw Oil of Oregano mentioned, I've used that before, But also, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Raw Honey, Bee Propolis, Vitamin C with rose hips, Last time I felt a cold coming on, about 10,000mgs of Vitamin C kicked it back down. All of these can be found in a health food store.

Yup! These are also good substitutes....GSE, raw honey/manuka honey and propolis all have anti-microbial properties.
vchizzle, I swear by liquid oil of oregano....taste is terrible, but it works great, especially at the outset of a cold. I would try the liquid first because it will obviously coat the back of your throat when you swallow.

Has anyone ever heard of the phrase....There's No Cure for the Common Cold?

Back