What's the shortest & longest time you've owned a guitar?

crgtr

Zombie Eight - DFZ
My shortest would be Gretsch Dou Jet in Caddy Green. One week.
Longest would be my Hamer Steve Stevens. Owned, played & broken (headstock 3 times) since 1984.

My shortest would propaply be an ESP LTD Eclipse 1000 at about 2 or 3 months .
My longest would be this
Possiblesales012.jpg

1994 McCarty. I bought off of ebay in 1996 or so . The one I like to call " the one that started it all "

I have flipped guitars within a couple of weeks if I decided that they weren't right for me. Ususally, this happens when I obtain a few guitars as part of a multi-guitar trade. I think my personal record for expeditious departures are my Wilcutt Ted McCarty and my Les Paul Lifesun Axis which I owned for less than 3 weeks each, along with my Thorn Artisan which left all within the same time period. To be fair, at least 50% of the reason for the rapid sale was to pay for those incoming that accompanied these acquisitions.

At present, the two guitars I have that I've owned the longest are probably going to stay with me for the forseeable future. My '93 Dragon-2 which I've had for 2.5 years, and my '95 Rosewood Limited which just recently hit it's 4th anniversary in my possession. Additionally, my PS #3340 is my heirloom piece which will never be sold and will be passed down to my kids or grandchildren.

Shortest would be back in the 80's, a Charvel, two weeks max.

Longest is my Strat. Bought in the summer of 1980. It was modified beyond recognition and now almost restored to original.

Shortest was a Schecter C1 Custom. Massive mistake with that guitar. Sorry Schecter!

Longest has probably been my Squier Standard Strat. Doesn't get played much but it was a birthday present from my girlfriend a few years back so there's sentimental value to it.

Don't think I own any guitars now that i'd consider selling for a minute. Couple of real cheapos but I keep them as knockabout guitars or guitars to experiment with in some way.

Shortest...tough one because I'm not a 'turner'. Probably the SE245 that I ended up 'splitting' with my son. Bought it with the intention of it being his, but soon thought that I'd own it since he came up short with his half of the money. So it was mine for about a week. Now I can't get close to it. :rolleyes:

Longest is easy...my first electric guitar, which I bought brand new in 1979 for $479...my Les Paul Deluxe. Still have it and gig it periodically.

Longest?

My Martin D-35, purchased the Summer of 1976. Never to be sold...

Shortest?

A Nash Relic Strat. Kept it maybe 2 months...

Jamie

Shortest - PRS SE II Soapbar. Had it under a week as I bought it to mess about with, but then immediately needed the funds for something else that came up for sale that I wanted more.

Longest - Squier JV Strat, my first elecric guitar. It's an '83 model bought in 1990, so I've had it over 22 years. It sits in its case, unfortunately, as I'm not a Strat man.

Shortest - PRS SE II Soapbar. Had it under a week as I bought it to mess about with, but then immediately needed the funds for something else that came up for sale that I wanted more.

Longest - Squier JV Strat, my first elecric guitar. It's an '83 model bought in 1990, so I've had it over 22 years. It sits in its case, unfortunately, as I'm not a Strat man.

JV Strats are great....I love the earliest ones that precede the decal "Squier" with a real Fender decal...made briefly circa Spring of 1982 and fantastic replicas of the '57 and '62 Maple and Rosewood necked Strats. If you're lucky enough to get one with the letter "A" in the neck-pocket....either keep it or sell it to me!
If you're really lucky, sometimes you can find one with the "red bottom" pickups that were both rare and very hot sounding. Comparable guitars to the "Fullerton Reissues" of 1982 that usually cost twice as much.

Longest: '65 SG Special given to me by my brother in 1966, so...46 years.

Shortest: Taylor 110 bought to have something to play while my Tonare was being built. 6 months or so. I didn't care for it.

Longest would be my Ibanez Talman, bought new in 1994. Shortest was probably the guitar the Ibanez replaced, a Peavy Predator owned about 7 months.

JV Strats are great....I love the earliest ones that precede the decal "Squier" with a real Fender decal...made briefly circa Spring of 1982 and fantastic replicas of the '57 and '62 Maple and Rosewood necked Strats. If you're lucky enough to get one with the letter "A" in the neck-pocket....either keep it or sell it to me!
If you're really lucky, sometimes you can find one with the "red bottom" pickups that were both rare and very hot sounding. Comparable guitars to the "Fullerton Reissues" of 1982 that usually cost twice as much.

A is the fat neck version isn't it?

Mine doesn't have the original pickups any more, I traded them for some new fangled 'handwound' ones in the early nineties - David White Old Glories. They're as rare as hen's teeth now, and stay with the guitar as parts of its history :)

I've pulled guitars out of the case, set them up, played them, took pictures of them, put them back in the case, and listed them for sale.

I can tell whether or not it's a guitar I'll keep and play pretty quickly. It has to feel right in my hands, be well balanced (neck heavy guitars drive me bonkers), and play well acoustically. Some guitars I've owned never even made it to the amp. All that said, I never make a final judgement until after I do a thorough set-up.

The longest? My Guild D55 (Thanks, Russ!)

Wow! My G.A.S. maybe the worst. The McCarty I just had I picked up Thursday and traded on Sunday this week. I once traded for a Les Paul at a store, drove a mile and traded it for a PRS SC..but just because I knew what I traded for the Les Paul, the other store wouldn't take for the PRS. I've done dozens of deals where all I did was buy a guitar of Craigslist, bring it home, clean it, restring it, set it up, take GOOD pictures of it and repost it. I guess that kinda defeats the whole purpose of this thread though..

I honestly trade and swap guitars WAY too much..really sucks. I figured out about a month ago that this year, I have averaged a new guitar every 15 days..what's sad is I've never had more that 3 guitars at any one time. I don't tell you this brag, because to me it's really sad..I hate it. One of my best friends bought a new Custom 22 in 97 and has played it to death. He gets jealous of me always swapping guitars, but truth be told, I'm jealous of him. I would KILL to be able to hold onto a guitar for as long as he has. The joy of knowing every scratch on that guitar was yours, or knowing exactly what to expect out of it in every situation. I would imagine its like a perfect pair of jeans..that guitar just fits him. It's more than a guitar to him - that's what I'm jealous of.

Part of the problem with me is my taste is extremely picky and expensive, my patience is extremely low , and my funds limited. I have 2 guitars now that I really love, but then again the guitar I traded last week for the McCarty was the best deluxe strat I have ever played! And it's gone! But in hindsight, I am glad I swapped it because I ended up with the CE22 that I love.

One of the worst parts about severe super G.A.S. like mine is the depression that comes with it. Sometimes I'll swap just to swap and trade something I really like and get something I hate. You know, trade for something you should like and it turns out to have no mojo at all. A few years back I traded a deluxe ash tele for a deluxe tele because I liked the color. Figured the sound and playability would be about the same. The deluxe tele I got was the Satan of all guitars. Played ok, but had the tonal qualities of a First Act guitar that didn't pass First Act's stringent quality control! Lol. I was seriously depressed because of the loss of such a special guitar, that I should NEVER have traded, for such a piece of crap. It was really bad. I ended up trading it, and a few trades later ended up with a PRS..sort of ended ok...

Worst part of this G.A.S. is my wife! Lol...when we first got together we were guitar buying fools. She was like a PRS savant. Knew everything there was to know about PRS, we would travel 100's of miles to find the best ones. Ran up our credit cards..really was a lot of fun until the credit cards got maxed...then the trading started..and she got a little upset. Well, years have passed and she's numb to it now. I use to be able to get really good opinions from her on trading, now her opinions sound like a rookie pitcher trying to remember the best cliche's to use in an interview! Don't get me wrong, my wife is an amazing person and just like anybody's wife who's husband has a PRS guitar, she gets it. She understands my desire for the nice top or the bird inlays, she just doesn't share the enthusiasm like she once did.

Anyway, this was therapeuti lol..thanks for reading. I feel like I should've started is thread with "Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a G.A.S.aholic"

Wow! My G.A.S. maybe the worst. The McCarty I just had I picked up Thursday and traded on Sunday this week. I once traded for a Les Paul at a store, drove a mile and traded it for a PRS SC..but just because I knew what I traded for the Les Paul, the other store wouldn't take for the PRS. I've done dozens of deals where all I did was buy a guitar of Craigslist, bring it home, clean it, restring it, set it up, take GOOD pictures of it and repost it. I guess that kinda defeats the whole purpose of this thread though..

I honestly trade and swap guitars WAY too much..really sucks. I figured out about a month ago that this year, I have averaged a new guitar every 15 days..what's sad is I've never had more that 3 guitars at any one time. I don't tell you this brag, because to me it's really sad..I hate it. One of my best friends bought a new Custom 22 in 97 and has played it to death. He gets jealous of me always swapping guitars, but truth be told, I'm jealous of him. I would KILL to be able to hold onto a guitar for as long as he has. The joy of knowing every scratch on that guitar was yours, or knowing exactly what to expect out of it in every situation. I would imagine its like a perfect pair of jeans..that guitar just fits him. It's more than a guitar to him - that's what I'm jealous of.

Part of the problem with me is my taste is extremely picky and expensive, my patience is extremely low , and my funds limited. I have 2 guitars now that I really love, but then again the guitar I traded last week for the McCarty was the best deluxe strat I have ever played! And it's gone! But in hindsight, I am glad I swapped it because I ended up with the CE22 that I love.

One of the worst parts about severe super G.A.S. like mine is the depression that comes with it. Sometimes I'll swap just to swap and trade something I really like and get something I hate. You know, trade for something you should like and it turns out to have no mojo at all. A few years back I traded a deluxe ash tele for a deluxe tele because I liked the color. Figured the sound and playability would be about the same. The deluxe tele I got was the Satan of all guitars. Played ok, but had the tonal qualities of a First Act guitar that didn't pass First Act's stringent quality control! Lol. I was seriously depressed because of the loss of such a special guitar, that I should NEVER have traded, for such a piece of crap. It was really bad. I ended up trading it, and a few trades later ended up with a PRS..sort of ended ok...

Worst part of this G.A.S. is my wife! Lol...when we first got together we were guitar buying fools. She was like a PRS savant. Knew everything there was to know about PRS, we would travel 100's of miles to find the best ones. Ran up our credit cards..really was a lot of fun until the credit cards got maxed...then the trading started..and she got a little upset. Well, years have passed and she's numb to it now. I use to be able to get really good opinions from her on trading, now her opinions sound like a rookie pitcher trying to remember the best cliche's to use in an interview! Don't get me wrong, my wife is an amazing person and just like anybody's wife who's husband has a PRS guitar, she gets it. She understands my desire for the nice top or the bird inlays, she just doesn't share the enthusiasm like she once did.

Anyway, this was therapeuti lol..thanks for reading. I feel like I should've started is thread with "Hi, my name is Eric and I'm a G.A.S.aholic"

I've said this before in regard to posts like this, but what you're after isn't a guitar, but simply the thrill of the new. That thrill only lasts for a short time, so then you're in need of another thrill, and what was exciting only days before becomes expendable.

The thrill of playing a great instrument should be the real object of the exercise of owning it of course. Not the thrill of buying. But for some reason, it's easy to forget that amongst all the NGDs, and "ooh, pretty top" and all the stuff that really, truly, is secondary and far less relevant to the purpose of the instrument.

So I don't know what to call it, other than "thrill spending" but since you're pretty clear on it making zero sense for you, financially and personally, you know that you have the solution in your own hands: keep one or two and play them, instead of going shopping for them.

Consider this: Stop looking for the "perfect" guitar, and just learn the instrument you have, in depth. Figure out what it can do, and make it work for you. Don't let yourself think about "well maybe if I only had..." Pretend you're on a desert island. Stay out of guitar shops. Don't browse ebay or the for sale threads on forums. Stay off of Craig's list.

Eventually you may find it more satisfying and exciting to be bowled over by how great you sound, instead of what kind of top is on the guitar. And then, having achieved a great sound, you may not want to part with that instrument. Too picky to accept your tone? Work on what your hands are doing. Try different picks (you'd be surprised what a difference a pick makes). Use the guitar volume and tone controls to get as close as you can. Use what's on your amp. Just don't go shopping to solve the problem.

It won't. Shopping does not solve the problem of too much shopping.

You will have what your friend has, and what you say you want; namely, an instrument that you bond with. A keeper.

It's my sincere belief that you can't bond with an instrument unless you play it for a while. It doesn't happen instantly. I think a lot of the guitar flipping that goes on is relatively neurotic; people looking for perfection that can't be attained, or if it is attained, can't be appreciated because they're always needing the next hit, instead of simply playing and learning.

Or looking for flaws instead of appreciating positive attributes. It's like breaking up with an intelligent, kind and beautiful woman because she has a birthmark on her butt.

There is no perfect guitar. But there can be perfect player-guitar relationships based on getting to know the ins and outs of the instrument, and really using it to its potential. Do that, and you will be cured of being a junkie. Fortunately, there's no physical addiction to deal with! ;)

I know a woman who is notorious for buying expensive clothing every single day. She buys stuff, returns stuff, buys more stuff. She had to rent a warehouse space to store clothing, 99% of which she's never worn. She sells some of her clothing on ebay. The point is, it's the same disease, different symptoms. Thank goodness her husband is a big earner.

I also have a very good friend who's into music in a huge way. He's been successful enough in life to buy a bank. Good songwriter, excellent guitar player. Has various real estate holdings, into lots of fun things, too. He has one electric guitar, a nice late 90s PRS CU24 in black. He loves it. Doesn't feel the need to buy anything else, even though he is one of those guys who can do whatever he wants and never, ever has to worry about $. He took the view that he's happy with what he has. That's honestly not a bad way to be.

You can do this. It's just a little self-discipline. I predict you'll enjoy being a guitar player more, not less.

Last edited:
Shortest - PRS SE Semi Hollow Soapbar. I had it a total of four days. Great guitar! Just wasn't going to work with our band.

Longest - 1994 Fender Japan Jazzmaster reissue. Bought used summer of 1995, and it was my one and only during my broke-ass college years '96-02. Wore out the frets and found a replacement neck that was cheaper than a refret. Refinished the body, went though a dozen pickups in it including a set of mini-humbuckers from a Gibson LP Deluxe. Sold it to help pay for the McRosie I bought from BostonGuitar in 2008.

A few years back I turned guitars and amps to pay off a debt, so like others here I would get one, fix the things that were wrong that were the reason it was sold cheap, and then turn it for a few $xxx profit. I'd say the shortest was a week.

Longest is my 58 Martin. Been in the family since '58 and I was born in 62 so technically I've had it since the day I was born.

Longest is a 3/4 size nylon string I have since I was four so that is 44 years, and an Epihone Texan I have had since the late 80's.

Shortest was a couple weeks but it was a pawn shop buy that I intended to flip. Nice Charvel.....paid $125 and sold it weeks later for $500 on the fleabay. Wish I kept it......

I've said this before in regard to posts like this, but what you're after isn't a guitar, but simply the thrill of the new. That thrill only lasts for a short time, so then you're in need of another thrill, and what was exciting only days before becomes expendable.

The thrill of playing a great instrument should be the real object of the exercise of owning it of course. Not the thrill of buying. But for some reason, it's easy to forget that amongst all the NGDs, and "ooh, pretty top" and all the stuff that really, truly, is secondary and far less relevant to the purpose of the instrument.

So I don't know what to call it, other than "thrill spending" but since you're pretty clear on it making zero sense for you, financially and personally, you know that you have the solution in your own hands: keep one or two and play them, instead of going shopping for them.

Consider this: Stop looking for the "perfect" guitar, and just learn the instrument you have, in depth. Figure out what it can do, and make it work for you. Don't let yourself think about "well maybe if I only had..." Pretend you're on a desert island. Stay out of guitar shops. Don't browse ebay or the for sale threads on forums. Stay off of Craig's list.

Eventually you may find it more satisfying and exciting to be bowled over by how great you sound, instead of what kind of top is on the guitar. And then, having achieved a great sound, you may not want to part with that instrument. Too picky to accept your tone? Work on what your hands are doing. Try different picks (you'd be surprised what a difference a pick makes). Use the guitar volume and tone controls to get as close as you can. Use what's on your amp. Just don't go shopping to solve the problem.

It won't. Shopping does not solve the problem of too much shopping.

You will have what your friend has, and what you say you want; namely, an instrument that you bond with. A keeper.

It's my sincere belief that you can't bond with an instrument unless you play it for a while. It doesn't happen instantly. I think a lot of the guitar flipping that goes on is relatively neurotic; people looking for perfection that can't be attained, or if it is attained, can't be appreciated because they're always needing the next hit, instead of simply playing and learning.

Or looking for flaws instead of appreciating positive attributes. It's like breaking up with an intelligent, kind and beautiful woman because she has a birthmark on her butt.

There is no perfect guitar. But there can be perfect player-guitar relationships based on getting to know the ins and outs of the instrument, and really using it to its potential. Do that, and you will be cured of being a junkie. Fortunately, there's no physical addiction to deal with! ;)

I know a woman who is notorious for buying expensive clothing every single day. She buys stuff, returns stuff, buys more stuff. She had to rent a warehouse space to store clothing, 99% of which she's never worn. She sells some of her clothing on ebay. The point is, it's the same disease, different symptoms. Thank goodness her husband is a big earner.

I also have a very good friend who's into music in a huge way. He's been successful enough in life to buy a bank. Good songwriter, excellent guitar player. Has various real estate holdings, into lots of fun things, too. He has one electric guitar, a nice late 90s PRS CU24 in black. He loves it. Doesn't feel the need to buy anything else, even though he is one of those guys who can do whatever he wants and never, ever has to worry about $. He took the view that he's happy with what he has. That's honestly not a bad way to be.

You can do this. It's just a little self-discipline. I predict you'll enjoy being a guitar player more, not less.

You're like yoda! lol. You are absolutely correct. It is the thrill of a new instrument. That rush you get when you get it home and open the case..I do really love that first few weeks with a guitar, and then I get a negative thought on something stupid about it, and then fixate on it, and then that justifys me trading. And even though I feel I am a competent guitar player (i play in a a band, recorded a few cds, been signed etc) I wonder if my lack of attachment to 1 guitar for a period of time has hurt my growth as a guitar player.

Anyway, it's something I am working on, I know some people would laugh at a "guitar addiction" but it actually can cause some negative vibes. In my earlier post I mentioned a Deluxe Ash Tele that I loved that I traded, well I picked up another on about 3 months ago and still have it.. Thats a long time for me!lol. And this CE I just picked up is the 2nd time I owned it. I regretted trading it the first time and was able to get it back.. So, maybe I can stop. I certainly appreciate the positive, honest feedback. you nailed it on the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shortest amount of time at this point is 42 days (and counting). I bought a DGT on 10/30 of this year.

Longest is almost 40 years. My first guitar was a Fender F55-12 - an acoustic 12 string. I was in college (1973). I still have it.

Back