What's the scoop on the PRS Two Channel Custom 20?

guitarjeff

I'm liking the Two Channel Custom 20 but I don't see any conversation about it so wanted to ask a couple questions...

1) Is it loud enough? -- I play at a lot of clubs and the occasional outdoor gig. While 20W doesn't seem like a lot, I used a backup 30W once and was surprised how loud it was.... so hoping the 20W would suffice? I always mic the amp anyway so seems like it should be? The plus side seems to be that I could turn it up a bit more and work those tubes... but I've never owned a 20W so wanted to be sure.
2) Is it new? I see a lot of talk about the custom 25 but little about the 20. I don't see Amazon reviews or any youtube vids on it.
3) Is there a 2-Channel Custom 50 combo coming out? I see a custom 50 head but not a combo. Is one coming?

Thanks all. Loving what I see/hear about the PRS amps and looking forward to getting one soon.

That is a great question and I am in the same boat but riddle me this. I am a big home audio person and in this world, there is virtually no difference in volume from a 20 watt amp to a 30 watt amp, the only difference is head room to absorb spikes during loud passages. To double your volume, you need like 10 times the amount of power. Is it the same for guitar amps? My initial thought is that a lower wattage amp will reach saturation and a creamier overdrive faster but will not play much louder?

That is why I think there is a switch on many amps to switch a lower setting to get that "woman tone". Rumors of EVH using a variac to have the Marshall break up sooner I think are wives tales. That much amperage would have fried it in a second. I could be wrong.

Yes, there is a Custom 50 combo. Mine should be here next week.

That is a great question and I am in the same boat but riddle me this. I am a big home audio person and in this world, there is virtually no difference in volume from a 20 watt amp to a 30 watt amp, the only difference is head room to absorb spikes during loud passages. To double your volume, you need like 10 times the amount of power. Is it the same for guitar amps? My initial thought is that a lower wattage amp will reach saturation and a creamier overdrive faster but will not play much louder?

That is why I think there is a switch on many amps to switch a lower setting to get that "woman tone". Rumors of EVH using a variac to have the Marshall break up sooner I think are wives tales. That much amperage would have fried it in a second. I could be wrong.

I'm glad you took the time to post this, G-Man. It was an interesting read and got me looking into how this works. I found some great articles such as this one and I feel pretty good about the 20W now. In fact, I think it's optimal for me because I like to go small as possible when I play out. I typically always mic the amp anyway. Headroom, as the article discusses, isn't going to be an issue with the clean channel on this baby.

I'm still surprised I don't see any vids on the Custom 20 so maybe it's just that new? Guess that will be my job. :)

Anyway... going to sell some gear off this week and then place the order. Can't wait!

Thanks Jeff. I'm kind of in the same boat where I had Fender Blues Junior which is a great little amp when I was playing my strat and gibson with p 90's. They are gone and a PRS 24 and 22 are in the picture and they completely melt the preamp. Sad because it was such a great little amp for clubbing and home practice. Ballsy little sucker when miked up with single coils. The HFS was ok with the amp but the vintage bass killed it. Way too hot.

My current thought is either the Custom 20 or a Fender Deluxe and drive the blues junior via chorus petal for a funky stereo sound.

Thanks Jeff. I'm kind of in the same boat where I had Fender Blues Junior which is a great little amp when I was playing my strat and gibson with p 90's. They are gone and a PRS 24 and 22 are in the picture and they completely melt the preamp. Sad because it was such a great little amp for clubbing and home practice. Ballsy little sucker when miked up with single coils. The HFS was ok with the amp but the vintage bass killed it. Way too hot.

My current thought is either the Custom 20 or a Fender Deluxe and drive the blues junior via chorus petal for a funky stereo sound.

Well let me know if you get one and how you like it. I think I'm going to make the leap here in the next couple weeks. I'll holler back and fill you in!

Back