What to Know, What to Look for When Buying a Brand New Custom 24

cfire

So i’m interested in buying a custom 24. When i first got the idea i ran out to my music store and played 4 PRS’s and they sounded amazing. I’m not new at playing guitar but mentally i find i make a lot of mistakes (i hear voices) so i was wondering if there are some things to consider like 10 top vs. non, custom colours etc. i don’t want to put money down and have me worry because i never covered an angle. maybe it’s a lot to ask but maybe from an experienced player they can tell me what to look for, what to consider.

Thank you so much

You've gotta find that ONE that does it for you...I'm on the other side..I've owned many custom 24s...BUT one of them is hands down the best. For me it was an Artist package CU24 with a satin maple neck.

Satin necks, Rosewood necks, Crazy Wood library runs...it's crazy how many different faces the CU24 has! I definitely encourage you not to buy your guitar off a pic from online but from playing it in a store. Your best result will be from that strategy of shopping/hunting. I drove to many guitar shops as far as 300 miles away and found all my best guitars in this manner. All that said, your playing style does determine the majority of what you want to get out of a guitar, so online reviews and pics only go so far. Get in a store and have fun.

The good thing is when fishing through the core line of PRS guitars...Paul already has the guitar build foundation there in his line up...It's like being at marble slab and picking a flavor...All the ice cream is the great...now it's time to personalize!

based on my current search, you will find that it comes down to your playing style and preferences a bit as you can find many many flavors with the Cu24. One thing I might recommend (this may either be helpful or drive you crazy!) is to go on Reverb and search for Custom 24 and get a sense for what look you prefer. For me, I looked and lurked over a long period of time and realized I would be most happy with a Wood Library or Artist Pack for that extra bling factor - this is the best flame or quilt tops and extra touches. Of course, these are going to be more $$ or too flashy for some, so a "normal" model may be more up your alley. Also, after then playing a few I realized that a satin maple or rosewood neck really put me at that "the one" level as opposed to a glossy neck. Finally, you will note that once you find one you love to look at, you need to look at the neck shape (do you like pattern thin, or something thicker like Pattern Regular?) and play some to see if that matters to you. And FINALLY you will see they come spec'd with different pickups - I happen to LOVE the 85/15 which is standard now and good for modern rock and even heavier stuff, but you see shops put in 59/09, 57/08, and even the "LT" versions that are milder and more vintag-y low gain. So really depends on what style you play and if you nail all these factors you will achieve what you are looking for.

10 top or not is cosmetic, so don’t worry about it. Same with colour. If you pick one up and you like it in your hands, that’s the one to buy.

If it doesn’t call your name when you pick it up, leave it behind, otherwise you’ll be selling it at a loss, or trading it.

Pickups are personal. It’s best to plug it into an amp similar to what you normally play and see if you like what comes out.

Mostly, be patient. Play a few every chance you get until one begs you to take it home.

Basically it comes down to personal preference. There are several different Cu24's so you can pick which specs you want and as for 10tops (cosmetic) or Wood Library (different wood(s) from the 'regular'), that is just preference. Even the choice of neck (Pattern Thin or Pattern Regular) is preference. Colour choice to is just personal preference...

The main choice comes down to Regular, Piezo, Floyd, 24-08 or 35th Anniversary - which is again down to what you want/prefer. I own a regular Custom 24 and Custom 24 Floyd myself.

If you have the option to try personally, go for the one that speaks to you the most - if not, pick the one that meets the specs and/or aesthetics you want!

I stumbled across an S2 Custom 24 with a katalox fingerboard that struck my main nerve. Just find the one that speaks to you, and the voice will get even louder. Play, and make sure that it thrills you. And, buddy, it’s like being the only man at a beauty pageant of Mensa women. Every time you pick it up will be a new thrill ride. Bag the price, bag the features, play as many as possible.

Back