What speakers are you using for your HXDA?

CatStrangler

PRS Enthusiast
I hav e a 30W 2X12 combo, and have never bonded with the vintage 30's. I have a Weber loaded external cab (2X10) 've been using from time to time, but would rather put something else in the combo (closed back). What say you? Thanks! Phil

I use either the PRS 1x12 with a V30, or the PRS Grissom 2x12 semi-open back with 2 V30s, and in the past used a Mesa 2x12 Recto cab with 2 V-30s. All sounded good, and different from one another despite having the same speakers. I realize the PRS and Mesa each have the speakers treated with some kind of special sauce so they're different anyway).

I'm sure a 4x12 with classic Greenbacks would be a very good fit...since that's the "old standby" Marshall formula.

However, I've been thinking about getting a PRS pine cab (either a 2x12 pine closed back, or another 2x12 Grissom cab) loaded with one of the new Celestion Alnico Creams, and Doug Sewell said that the Grissom cab combination might be a good one when I spoke with him at the 30th Anni event at PRS.

Not sure if he meant for the HXDA or the DG 30, but of course I'd use it for both amps anyway.

I prefer closed back cabs with the HXDA. The PRS 1x12 and 2x12 Pine cabs are fantastic, despite being loaded with V30s...they defy the stereotype. As an alternative, consider the WGS ET65+Vet30 combination. I have that in one of my Boogie cabs in an open/ported config and really like them.

CAB%20Best_zpsmbtrvsmf.jpg
</a>"]http://[/URL][/img]

Big Mouth Cabinet previously owned by a PRS Signature Artist here in Austin that I got second hand from another PRS Artist based in San Antonio. Paired with the previously owned HXDA 50 Watt head by the same Austin guitar player. How do I know this?...his name is taped to the inside of the amp chassis. Mucho Mojo~!

Big Mouth Cabinet previously owned by a PRS Signature Artist here in Austin that I got second hand from another PRS Artist based in San Antonio. Paired with the previously owned HXDA 50 Watt head by the same Austin guitar player. How do I know this?...his name is taped to the inside of the amp chassis. Mucho Mojo~!

So do their spirits come out at night and play the amp, or are you stuck doing that like the rest of us?

Last edited:
So do their spirits come out at night and play the amp, or are you stuck doing that like the rest of us?

Ha Ha~!...Yeah, it's really 'tough' for me to power this rig up and play through it...It's just the best amp/cabinet rig I have owned. It's incredible. (folks that haven't had the pleasure to play thru a HXDA are really missing something, in my opinion.) It's the best Dual Marshall Head ever made and with the V30's it just, well you know... (Tip: Dime the Master First~!)

But I do burn incense, just in case~! lol..

A pair of Greenbacks or Creambacks will remove the ugly mid spike you get from V30's.

I use a 65-watt Scumback M75 in my 30 watt combo. Basically a Greenback that can handle 65 watts. Probably similar to the Creambacks.

The efficiency is lower on these (vs V30), which means they are a bit less loud as well. Very vintage classic rock sounds.

A pair of Greenbacks or Creambacks will remove the ugly mid spike you get from V30's.

On the other hand, that same speaker has a good amount of cut in a dense mix, and records well. Everything's a trade-off.

Celestion actually was aiming to copy the sound of their old Blue G12 with the V-30, using one of the earliest laser/doppler things back in the 80s. While the overall tone shape is similar, obviously it doesn't sound the same. But the lower mid boxy thing was what they were going for. That edgy quality is really where the speaker is acting almost as a resonant filter at the point where the high frequencies start to roll off IMHO.

The Creambacks definitely have a more open sound.and what I perceive as a brighter high end. I am not sure I'd want that sound in, say, a closed back cab as much as an open back cab where it can diffuse the tone a little more; a lot would depend on the design of the cab.

Here's Celestion's own comparison of the V-30 and Creamback. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImfwNLCC5Uk

In this comparison, and with this kind of overdriven tone, I kind of miss the boxier, more filtered tone of the V-30; when the Creamback comes in, it is clearly more open, but also has a "screaming high end" kind of thing happening. I might prefer the Creambacks in this particular rig on clean tones, though. It depends so much on the amp and what kind of music you play with all this stuff, doesn't it?

Of course, a lot has to do with how you set up the amp and guitar. Seems there are never easy choices, it's always a matter of "pick your poison" because the permutations are so incredibly varied and tastes are so personal.

I've always found greenbacks a fairly dull sounding speaker except in a Marshall style 4x12, where I pretty much love a good, broken in set.

Last edited:
So the upshot of this thread is that in the other thread, it seems the V-30s Cat Strangler felt he wasn't bonding with in his amp turned out to be the Celestion Heritage (Made In England) Greenbacks that you guys are suggesting, and that I myself like in a 4x12 cab.

I say try some Vintage 30s! It's the obvious solution.

Back