Who has the HX/DA head and what speaker cab are you running?

Davey

Just Jammin'
Incoming new amp. Super stoked!
30w hx/da head.
Just looking for any recommendations as far as speaker cabs from anyone who has or had an hxda.
Partial open back vs closed back?
1x12 vs 2x12?
Speakers?
Are the new stealth cabs made in China worth it?
Hold out for an older cab?
Thanks all!

It’s a versatile amp, more so than people think of when “Plexi” is heard. I’ve run mine (both 50 watters) through the larger pine closed back PRS 2x12, which sounds powerful with more low end, and a smaller open back Carvin cabinet with UK-made Greenbacks in it that has been my favorite. So far, I haven’t found anything it didn’t sound good with, really. I even gave it a brief run through a Morgan 2x12 with Alnico Blues in it and it sounded awesome, but I didn’t want to blow up $500 in speakers so I didn’t take it too far!

I’m going to put one into a 1x12 combo cab and load that with a Mesa version Vintage 30 I have (the UK made T4335 one) and see how it sounds there. I’m betting it’ll be another winner. :)

I’m not entirely sold on the current line of PRS cabs, mostly due to the speaker choices, other than the DG 2x12 and stealth 4x12 having V30’s - and I’m not always a big fan of those either, but I know some people are. Just depends on how you feel about them, I suppose. @RickP is on the right track with a Mesa version, they sound less buzzy to me.

Personally, I’d be looking at a cab with one or two G12M65 or H75 Creambacks. Don’t have an HXDA, but do have a 1x12 open with a 65, and really dig it.

It’s a versatile amp, more so than people think of when “Plexi” is heard. I’ve run mine (both 50 watters) through the larger pine closed back PRS 2x12, which sounds powerful with more low end, and a smaller open back Carvin cabinet with UK-made Greenbacks in it that has been my favorite. So far, I haven’t found anything it didn’t sound good with, really. I even gave it a brief run through a Morgan 2x12 with Alnico Blues in it and it sounded awesome, but I didn’t want to blow up $500 in speakers so I didn’t take it too far!

I’m going to put one into a 1x12 combo cab and load that with a Mesa version Vintage 30 I have (the UK made T4335 one) and see how it sounds there. I’m betting it’ll be another winner. :)

Rick, thanks for the reply.
I am looking at a couple cabs on reverb and trying to determine which one to go with.

This closed back 1x12
https://reverb.com/item/34419975-prs-1x12-closed-back-guitar-cab

This partial open back 1x12 which is black and tan similar in color to my new hxda
https://reverb.com/item/38040633-prs-stealth-70-watt-1x12-cabinet-black-tan

Maybe this 2x12
https://reverb.com/item/38896291-paul-reed-smith-stealth-2x12-speaker-cabinet

Or maybe hold out for something else that may come along.
I have a couple cabs I can run this new one thru so I can afford to selective.

Appreciate the input. :)

I’m not entirely sold on the current line of PRS cabs, mostly due to the speaker choices, other than the DG 2x12 and stealth 4x12 having V30’s - and I’m not always a big fan of those either, but I know some people are. Just depends on how you feel about them, I suppose. @RickP is on the right track with a Mesa version, they sound less buzzy to me.

Personally, I’d be looking at a cab with one or two G12M65 or H75 Creambacks. Don’t have an HXDA, but do have a 1x12 open with a 65, and really dig it.

Thanks Andy.
I have a 2x12 with 1 creamback and 1 V30. I am certainly going to try that cab and see how it sounds.
Thanks for the input on the other choices.

When we did the 594 Shootout at MAPete’s in Feb 2020 through a Bonner 1x12 partial open back and a Bogner 2x12. I seem to recall the consensus was the 1x12 sounded better. It sounded best through a Marshall 1960 slant 4x12

Thanks Jim
I am looking at a partial open back (in the link above) but not sure how the newer prs cabs sound.
I have my 2x12 that I can run open or closed and I also plan on running both speakers together and also wire just the V30 and just the creamback to try each one separately.
I also have a older Peavey 412 that I will try it through.
Thanks for the input.
Going to be a fun ride!

Personally, I'd stay away from V30s. I'm with Andy in not loving them (and having a TON of them, so obviously everyone else must love them). I love my Warehouse ET65 and would suggest that, a creamback or best of all probably, a Scumback.

I’m betting this cab will sound really good with the HXDA.

Thanks Rick. Cant wait!

I have about a dozen cabs, but my favorite with the HX/DA is an open back Tone Tubby 2x12 w/ red H1E Alnico Hempcones. They're darker sounding speakers, which I like to use with Marshall-inspired amp designs.

https://www.tonetubby.com/all-products/alnico-red/

Thanks. Love that back decal on those!

Personally, I'd stay away from V30s. I'm with Andy in not loving them (and having a TON of them, so obviously everyone else must love them). I love my Warehouse ET65 and would suggest that, a creamback or best of all probably, a Scumback.

In my 212, I have a 65 creamback, so I am going to isolate that and see how that sounds. A scumback might be worth a shot too.
Thanks for the input.

I've got a 412 loaded with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Heritage Greenbacks. My favorite to date. I was told by PRS that the amp was designed around Vintage 30s. Got a 212 with a Alnico cream and a G12-H75 . Very good as well but I like the V30/Heritage Greenback combo so well I'm getting ready to get another 212 and load it that way. Congrats to you, Love the HX/DA . It needs to breath

Last edited:
I've run my HXDAs with these cabs:

1 x 12 older pine PRS closed-back with PRS V-30 (PRS uses them without the edge gasket I believe).

2 x 12 PRS birch Big Mouth, as with the pine, no longer in production, this is what I currently use. Two PRS V-30s.

2 x 12 PRS David Grissom pine with ported back. Two PRS V-30s.

2 x 12 Mesa Recto closed back. Two Mesa V-30s (made in England, if that matters).

Both the PRS birch Big Mouth closed back, and the Mesa Recto closed back (both are about the same depth and of similar size) sounded by far the best to me. However, that's in in my room, with my gear, and my playing. YMMV, since every room reflects sound differently, room size matters, and of course playing style matters.

The 1 x 12 was nice, but I think the HXDA (and most amps) benefit from the 'swirl' of a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12, which is caused by tiny phase anomalies as you hear from differences between speakers, placement, and within the cab itself. A personal thing, perhaps. If I was unable to find a PRS Big Mouth or pine 2 x 12, I'd get the Mesa Recto for mine.

Last edited:
I've got a 412 loaded with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 Heritage Greenbacks. My favorite to date. I was told by PRS that the amp was designed around Vintage 30s. Got a 212 with a Alnico cream and a G12-H75 . Very good as well but I like the V30/Heritage Greenback combo so well I'm getting ready to get another 212 and load it that way. Congrats to you, Love the HX/DA . It needs to breath

Nice! I'm thinking of maybe pulling the stockers out of my 412 and going greenbacks. Thanks for the input Steve.

I've run my HXDAs with these cabs:

1 x 12 older pine PRS closed-back with PRS V-30 (PRS uses them without the edge gasket I believe).

2 x 12 PRS birch Big Mouth, as with the pine, no longer in production, this is what I currently use. Two PRS V-30s.

2 x 12 PRS David Grissom pine with ported back. Two PRS V-30s.

2 x 12 Mesa Recto closed back. Two Mesa V-30s (made in England, if that matters).

Both the PRS birch Big Mouth closed back, and the Mesa Recto closed back (both are about the same depth and of similar size) sounded by far the best to me. However, that's in in my room, with my gear, and my playing. YMMV, since every room reflects sound differently, room size matters, and of course playing style matters.

The 1 x 12 was nice, but I think the HXDA (and most amps) benefit from the 'swirl' of a 2 x 12 or 4 x 12, which is caused by tiny phase anomalies as you hear from differences between speakers, placement, and within the cab itself. A personal thing, perhaps. If I was unable to find a PRS Big Mouth or pine 2 x 12, I'd get the Mesa Recto for mine.

Thanks Les,
I did a little searching and found an older PRS stealth 2x12 in pine with the stock V30's (Incoming NCD!). That combined with my other convertible 2x12 and 4x12 should give me enough options to experiment a little.

I totally get the room size, acoustics, playing style, etc and how that factors in there. Just need to sit and see what works best for me.

It is nice to ask others and get a bit of a head start though. ;)

Now while I wait for them to arrive, I need to get going on another amp stand.

Nice! I'm thinking of maybe pulling the stockers out of my 412 and going greenbacks. Thanks for the input Steve.

Thanks Les,
I did a little searching and found an older PRS stealth 2x12 in pine with the stock V30's (Incoming NCD!). That combined with my other convertible 2x12 and 4x12 should give me enough options to experiment a little.

I totally get the room size, acoustics, playing style, etc and how that factors in there. Just need to sit and see what works best for me.

It is nice to ask others and get a bit of a head start though. ;)

Now while I wait for them to arrive, I need to get going on another amp stand.

I'm thinking you'll get superb tone with that setup!

One nice thing about the pine PRS cabs is that they warm the V-30s up noticeably, and another is that they're very light weight.

Did I mention that they're very light weight? :)

One nice thing about the pine PRS cabs is that they warm the V-30s up noticeably, and another is that they're very light weight.

Yes, I bought my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab and it has wheels. The store where I bought it has a blacktop parking lot up front, but I parked farther out and it's gravel. I picked it up by the handles on each side to carry to the truck and my buddy said "hey, don't kill yourself. That thing has wheels." I told him I didn't want gravel in the wheels and scratching them up before I ever got it home so I carried it. It's not a light cab though!

A few months later, when I bought my PRS 2x12 pine cab, I thought it was going to be a pain since it only had one handle on the top/middle. but when I went to lift it I was shocked at how light it was. Even with one hand I easily carried it right out to the truck. I have a 1x12 cab that would be heavier than the PRS if it only had 1 speaker in it. Only the weight of the second speaker makes the PRS heavier. Lightest 2x12 I've ever seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, I bought my Mesa 2x12 vertical recto cab and it has wheels. The store where I bought it has a blacktop parking lot up front, but I parked farther out and it's gravel. I picked it up by the handles on each side to carry to the truck and my buddy said "hey, don't kill yourself. That thing has wheels." I told him I didn't want gravel in the wheels and scratching them up before I ever got it home so I carried it. It's not a light cab though!

A few months later, when I bought my PRS 2x12 pine cab, I thought it was going to be a pain since it only had one handle on the top/middle. but when I went to lift it I was shocked at how light it was. Even with one hand I easily carried it right out to the truck. I have a 1x12 cab that would be heavier than the PRS if it only had 1 speaker in it. Only the weight of the second speaker makes the PRS heavier. Lightest 2x12 I've ever seen.

I'm excited to try out the options!

My existing 212 has 1 creamback and 1 v30. Since Im adding this PRS cab with 2 v30s, I'm thinking of putting another creamback in my existing cab so I have a 212 with v30s, a 212 with creambacks and a 412 with greenbacks (in the near future).

That should give me some good all around differences. Plus my existing 212 is convertible so I can try out endless combos in that switching out speakers and open vs closed back.

I think sampling the various cabs is going to be the fun part. :cool:

Thanks for everyones input. Always learning something in the forum.

Ok, I can add my name to the “Fans of Mesa V30s” group. I moved one of my HXDAs into a 1x12 combo cab, and because I had a Mesa-edition V30 from an amp long ago (90s version, if I recall) I decided to give it a try. It sounds incredible! I’ve not been a V30 guy except in Mesa Recto 2x12 cabs, and now I know why. Their special V30s sound good!

Back