What PRS does the best "Telecaster" impression?

Probably shouldn’t have left it with no actual PRS answer. My 513 Swamp Ash gets into Tele territory but it is definitely smoother sounding than a Tele. Thicker than a Tele also. But, bet definitely Fendery. Neck or bridge alone was almost passing.

Depends on how close you want to get to tele. My 509 (regular core model) can get kinda close to tele in the bridge single and sounds great both clean and dirty. However I would say overall the 509 is more Stratty than tele. If you’re looking for a guitar that can get close tele but still do a bunch of its own things then the 509 is for you. If you want a straight tele, just buy a real tele or use the one you have already. I’m not a fender guy so I like the fact that the 509 gets close, but only if you’re trying to get it close.

This thread does remind me that PRS has done a pretty fair job of developing their own "Les Paul" (SC594) and Strat (Silver Sky, obviously). The Starla does a not-too-bad job of sounding "Gretsch-like". The Mira is SG-like. The Vela I have (Reclaimed SH) has a good tone, but as @markd21 said it isn't really Tele territory since it has a Starla pup in it, so ends up a bit Gretsch-like.

But PRS has not tried, as far as I can remember, to emulate a true Tele sound. Maybe PRSh just doesn't like that tone enough to pique his interest, and hasn't had anyone approach him with their own concepts?

You should really look at an nf3. Those narrowfields are some of my favourite pickups ever. Bridge position has much more snap and attack than a humbucker, but you still get lots of warmth and low end to where you never feel the sound is thin.
Good call!

You should really look at an nf3. Those narrowfields are some of my favourite pickups ever. Bridge position has much more snap and attack than a humbucker, but you still get lots of warmth and low end to where you never feel the sound is thin.
I was skeptical about this, but played mine this afternoon and have to say it did a decent job. Funny because I always used it as a strat alternative.
Too bad not enough people bought them for it to stay in the lineup.

The world would absolutely lose its mind if PRS did a full-on Telecaster. I can already see the monopoly hearings, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Fendophiles, and death threats from Nashville. The angst would make Covid look like the sniffles.

I say “Let’s Do It!”

Is it a coincidence that their custom shop is in Corona?

I installed a Lollar Novel T pickup in the bridge position of my Swamp Ash Special and it gave my American Vintage 52' Hot Rod Tele a run for its money. I'm currently looking to buy a Vela so that I can transfer that pickup on that guitar to get a more vintage look to go with the vintage sounding pickup. On the other hand my P22 with 53/10s sounds very twangy like a Tele but with more power and handles higher gain much better.

I installed a Lollar Novel T pickup in the bridge position of my Swamp Ash Special and it gave my American Vintage 52' Hot Rod Tele a run for its money. I'm currently looking to buy a Vela so that I can transfer that pickup on that guitar to get a more vintage look to go with the vintage sounding pickup. On the other hand my P22 with 53/10s sounds very twangy like a Tele but with more power and handles higher gain much better.
Welcome to the forum Raul.

The world would absolutely lose its mind if PRS did a full-on Telecaster. I can already see the monopoly hearings, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Fendophiles, and death threats from Nashville. The angst would make Covid look like the sniffles.

I say “Let’s Do It!”

This combined with the mention of the NF3 makes me think: How was the McCarty Narrowfield not the guitar this thread is looking for?

Hmm, that provides yet another excuse to put the NF3 in my "would like to have" list. Well, higher in the list, I want one of everything, but, you know, priorities...

I agree the NF pickups are amazing, but I don't think it gets into the tele range. Can't say I have played a PRS that made me think Tele. Check out the Grosh Electrajet VT!!!!

I agree the NF pickups are amazing, but I don't think it gets into the tele range. Can't say I have played a PRS that made me think Tele. Check out the Grosh Electrajet VT!!!!
I had my NF3 for 9 years before another post compelled me to give it a try.
I’m not ready to give up my Thorns, but it did pretty good.

Back