What PRS does the best "Telecaster" impression?

I had my NF3 for 9 years before another post compelled me to give it a try.
I’m not ready to give up my Thorns, but it did pretty good.

I was lucky enough to have Ron build a GT for me, and I'll never give that guitar up. I was going to have him build an RS for me one day, but then he went to work for the big F...

I had my NF3 for 9 years before another post compelled me to give it a try.
I’m not ready to give up my Thorns, but it did pretty good.
I still have my NF3 & it does sit between a true single coil guitar and say a 594 (as an example) - At least IMHO.

The world would absolutely lose its mind if PRS did a full-on Telecaster. I can already see the monopoly hearings, the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Fendophiles, and death threats from Nashville. The angst would make Covid look like the sniffles.

I say “Let’s Do It!”
+1+2+3 - "make it happen"

Hmm, that provides yet another excuse to put the NF3 in my "would like to have" list. Well, higher in the list, I want one of everything, but, you know, priorities...

Do it! The nf3 and dc3 (another criminally underated model) can be had for good prices. I remember back when PRS introduced the nf3 and was very excited about the nf3 pickups. Like alot of folks, I didn't really get what they were going for with it, so I dismissed it. I picked one up a couple years ago new; the store had it for years and no one had even given it the time of day, I was told. For the price, I figured "why not? I can always route it for humbuckers if need be, or flip it". Well....I fell in love with the way it responds to my playing. Is it a strat or tele? No....but if you value quick attack and clarity in all positions, you would likely dig it!

I play original music, but if I was a guitarist in a cover band, and could only bring one guitar, I would bring my SE Custom 22 Semi-hollow-body. It can cover almost anything. Bridge pickup in single coil mode, with the tone control halfway down, could pass for a tele to everybody in the audience but the hardcore guitar geeks. Then if the next song is a heavy rock song, I push the tone control down to humbucker mode, and it can pass for a Les Paul. Better, actually.

My favorite PRS with tele tones was a Tremonti model and I split the coils.... That bridge pickup was crazy tele for me. The DGT comes in second.

I had a USA tele for a while. The tele was a "fat tele" meaning it had a 5 way switch and a bridge humbucker. I sold it because my McCarty with split coils sounded exactly like it.

DGT with I think the neck pup with the volume and tone backed off. Jetdosa on this site did a good YouTube video of it in powder blue standard.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the Silver Sky as the closest PRS to Fenderland.

My personal inclination would be the Vela, though.

87633104_656099701829040_8368600284899028736_n.jpg

Can't even Tele which is which...

Check out my PTC mod to my NF3 SAS. There is a phase switch which really gives it a Teleish tone, albeit slightly weak.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...rrowfield-super-conversion.20481/#post-297479

I own multiple SAS NF3s as well as multiple SAS with the 57/08 in the rear.

Swamp Ash and maple necks/fretboards, with the Narrowfields rock.

You might be the guy to ask: How does a 57/08 sound and respond in an SAS? How does a 57/08 compare to a Narrowfield in a similar guitar? I just grabbed an old 1999 SAS in antique white and I trying to figure out what pickups to put in. :)

You might be the guy to ask: How does a 57/08 sound and respond in an SAS? How does a 57/08 compare to a Narrowfield in a similar guitar? I just grabbed an old 1999 SAS in antique white and I trying to figure out what pickups to put in. :)

This wasn’t addressed to me but I’ve got some input:

I had a couple of those SAS Studios with the NFs and 57/08. It seemed to me that the pickups ‘fought’ each other and one would always overpower the other. I had the impression that the NFs were a different take on the 57/08 design. They seem to have a lot of commonalities... almost like the NF started life as a 57/08 then grew up to be more focused.

The NFs were more single coily, more focused, can get closer to Strat/Tele land but other than that, they seemed similar to 57/08 to me. If I recall, the 57/08s sound balanced and big in a Swamp Ash maple necked guitar. I didn’t care for them at all in my rosewood necked guitars. Whatever was awesome about those pickups got sucked right out before the signal reached the amp.

I preferred the 57/08 in neck position, so my SAS Studios (with the 57/08 in bridge) all went away in favor of my McCartys and Customs. My SAS NFs all went away once I found a Strat that I liked. I miss the necks on those SAS guitars though. Those necks were made for my hand.

Back