What locking tuners for a PRS S2 McCarty 594 SC

frogger42

I have a 2020 PRS S2 McCarty 594 Singlecut. I want to buy a set of PRS locking tuners but can't figure out the right ones. Looking at the pictures, the ones marked S2 do not seem the right shape for the holes in my headstock. The ones marked Phase III look the closest, but the description seems to imply they won't fit. Has anyone made this upgrade, and which ones fit without drilling new holes?

Huh… didn’t know they made these.
I didn't either. Someone on here mentioned that they ordered a set of Vintage tuners from the PRS store and they were surprised when a locking version showed up. I put a set on my JW Ltd, cuz I'm lazy like that.

Phase III lockers are a direct fit, and if you do some searching, you can get a set of Phase III vintage lockers. Aside from that, I'd say look at a set of Grovers.

I have the Phase III Vintage locking tuners on my S2 594 Singlecut and love them. They're essentially a cosmetically different version of the Phase III that are in my 35th Anniversary Custom 24

Hmmm, something to consider. I've gotten really used to locking tuners on my Carvin, so also put a set of Fender/Grover lockers on my Tele. Not that it's that hard to wind strings, but "they" say lockers improve tuning stability. If I actually make that upgrade to my S2 McCarty, I'd go with Mann's vintage style lockers to preserve most of the original look.

Yep...I put Phase 3 Locking tuners on my S2 594 DC. If you get the chrome ones you won't have change the tuner post bushing.

My email to PRS Customer Service and Tech: "Looking to replace my vintage tuners on a new S2 594 McCarty with locking tuners that don't require re-drilling slots." The response, "We currently do not offer anything else that would serve as a direct replacement." They did mention after-market options. I see the John Mann option link above. Anyone have experience with these?

My email to PRS Customer Service and Tech: "Looking to replace my vintage tuners on a new S2 594 McCarty with locking tuners that don't require re-drilling slots." The response, "We currently do not offer anything else that would serve as a direct replacement." They did mention after-market options. I see the John Mann option link above. Anyone have experience with these?
The Phase III are a direct drop in. More than one person here has swapped them. I did on my Core 594. I replaced the Vintage style on my JW Ltd 594 with a set of Vintage lockers from John Mann.

Thanks - that's clearly the consensus on this board. I wonder why the PRS site specifically says, "Please note: The Phase 3 tuners WILL NOT retrofit to any PRS model without modifications except models that already have Phase 3 tuners installed."

Thanks - that's clearly the consensus on this board. I wonder why the PRS site specifically says, "Please note: The Phase 3 tuners WILL NOT retrofit to any PRS model without modifications except models that already have Phase 3 tuners installed."
Because that was the case prior to the S2 594. Since the S2 594 use the same vintage style tuners as the Core 594, and previous to 2020 the Core 594 came with Phase III tuners.

This is good to know. When I asked PRS about changing the non locking on a core 594 to Phase III this they said the non locking would likely leave imprints that the Phase III would not cover. That put me off to be honest.

This is good to know. When I asked PRS about changing the non locking on a core 594 to Phase III this they said the non locking would likely leave imprints that the Phase III would not cover. That put me off to be honest.
That is actually true. There was a nitro dent from the vintage style base. You could get around that by getting the PRS Vintage Locking Tuners. The PRS Store doesn't have them, currently. But, John Mann does.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...ocking-Tuning-Machines---Nickel-x54674389.htm

Here's a pic of a 2020 594 that I installed PIII on. The outline of the vintage back is clearly visible in the nitro finish.

VBvFWEr.jpg

Are Phase III lockers that much more technologically advanced than the Vintage Locking Tuners or even the II's? Regarding the III's, I really don't understand the need for exposed gears, and would think that they could gum up over time with a wide variety of gunk/dust. Also, is it true that PRS lockers hold tune better than the non-locker vintage style on my S2 McCarty Thinline? I'm waffling over replacing them. On one side, if lockers do in fact hold tune better than non-lockers then that's a plus for sure. Also, quicker string changes. But, on the other hand, I like the retro look of the PRS non-lockers versus any version of PRS lockers - so there's my dilemma. What say ye PRS experts?

Are Phase III lockers that much more technologically advanced than the Vintage Locking Tuners or even the II's? Regarding the III's, I really don't understand the need for exposed gears, and would think that they could gum up over time with a wide variety of gunk/dust. Also, is it true that PRS lockers hold tune better than the non-locker vintage style on my S2 McCarty Thinline? I'm waffling over replacing them. On one side, if lockers do in fact hold tune better than non-lockers then that's a plus for sure. Also, quicker string changes. But, on the other hand, I like the retro look of the PRS non-lockers versus any version of PRS lockers - so there's my dilemma. What say ye PRS experts?
A quality non-locking tuner will hold tune the same as a quality locking tuner.
Locking tuners do make string changes “easier” and faster.

Its a personal pref at some point. I went with the gold Phase III and changed the bushings for a (to me) classy all Gold motif. I like the feel of the PIII tuners better also.

fTIfsPm.jpg

Last edited:
I prefer the look of the locking tuner from the front. Crazy I know just looks more "PRS". I changed the ones on my 35th SE CU24, looks much better (but then I also changed the knobs and pickup surrounds).

Oddly the tuners mentioned above from John Mann, I googled the PRS number and they show up on the European site, but not the USA ??

https://eu.prsaccessories.com/products/vintage-style-tuning-machines

Back