What finish is this if it's original?

Max Headroom

Your Mom rang, can she have her panties back!
Saw this while browsing Fleabay and it definitely caught my eye.
Not seen anything quite like it.
Any idea if original and if so WTH do you call that finish?

Yeah, but those definitely aren't "Dragon" pickups--at least, not version 1. They'd more likely be Dragon II if the guitar has an '08 serial number, which is much less impressive to a lot of people (I like them, though).

I wonder about this one.
The scant information I could find suggested they were available as an option in 96 but only for a year or so.
Silver and Gold Haloflake were seemingly the most popular.

Yeah, but those definitely aren't "Dragon" pickups--at least, not version 1. They'd more likely be Dragon II if the guitar has an '08 serial number, which is much less impressive to a lot of people (I like them, though).
If I'm reading it right the 8 should mean 1998 not 2008, I think they used 08 for 2008.
And the serial number puts it at 1998 as well.
So that could put it in the ballpark for the original Haloflake finish

That is a 98 and it is a Holoflake finish. I have seen them in black as well. The flake in them is multiple colors, otherwise it would be a sparkle finish. This may be a faded black Holoflake. I haven't seen one in this exact color. I ran into a black one of these in a shop near me once and I really wanted it but it was a bit too beat for my taste. This one looks cool.

That is a 98 and it is a Holoflake finish. I have seen them in black as well. The flake in them is multiple colors, otherwise it would be a sparkle finish. This may be a faded black Holoflake. I haven't seen one in this exact color. I ran into a black one of these in a shop near me once and I really wanted it but it was a bit too beat for my taste. This one looks cool.

Yes this is a Holoflake. Those pics don’t do that finish justice, it looks absolutely bonkers IRL.

Yes this is a Holoflake. Those pics don’t do that finish justice, it looks absolutely bonkers IRL.
I'm sure it does and I do love something rare and unusual but not sure it's worth $3600 to myself to buy it.
$2600 possibly.
And seller is in Japan and won't budge on price.

Well it's official...I have to have one...lol.
But not one from Japan though.
I will be keeping a weather eye out for one of these babies.
Thank you for all the great information.

Well first I have seen on Reverb in a long time but Holy Moly..Sticker Shock or what!
No way should they be in that price bracket..or should they?

Yeah I don’t think he’s gonna get that for it. But, wow! First Holoflake SAS I’ve seen.

Well first I have seen on Reverb in a long time but Holy Moly..Sticker Shock or what!
No way should they be in that price bracket..or should they?

There’s a natural finish that’s on the ‘verb which speaks to me, however it’s thousands of miles away.

Back