What amp do us peasants play our SE's through?

Since i'm not in a band any longer I'm just using Line 6 Helix Native.
If I had a band to play with again it would be my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo, or my Crate GLX65 1x12 combo if I'm lazy.

I'm VERY compassionate. Also a wisecracker.

In this case, I recommend the best amp you can find used. The SE guitars are fantastic. The amp should be equally fantastic. There are many OK amps out there. I recommend a good amp, which narrows the field significantly. Unfortunately, the solid-state and modeling amps tend to create players who use way too much compression and gain. When they finally get their first high-end tube amp, they can't play through it, as they are expecting the amp to do all the heavy-lifting.

I recommend a medium-gain amp that you can boost to get more heavy pounding, and back off on the volume for more expressive playing. A used Archon is about the best deal out there, as are used 2-CH-C and H amps. Be like Serge. Know what you want. Watch and wait. Grab it when someone gets impatient and drops the price a bit more than expected.
Wholeheartedly concur!

I’ve played a small tube amp for the last 25 years and they’re so versatile.

Simple to control, no uploads of software.

Helps you find your own sound without trying emulate someone who had they’re own journey of tone!

Last edited:
If I was starting out, and didn't know about the Archons or Sonzeras, I might get pulled into the Backstar or Orange Amp line of inexpensive stuff.

But knowing about the Sonzera - that is where I would start, if I couldn't find a 25W Archon combo for a good deal.

I've played every guitar I've owned since '95 through my Fender Blues Deluxe. It's a solid amp that's great for club gigging. It has a nice clean base tone that gets plenty loud and you can color it however you like with pedals.

I also love the Yamaha THR10. It's a great little tool for bedroom playing.

I've played every guitar I've owned since '95 through my Fender Blues Deluxe. It's a solid amp that's great for club gigging. It has a nice clean base tone that gets plenty loud and you can color it however you like with pedals.

I also love the Yamaha THR10. It's a great little tool for bedroom playing.

There is wisdom here. I started my gigging life with a '65 Deluxe Reverb. Colored with pedals (and I was a metal player). A single-channel amp that sounds great is a good place to start. Look at Andy Timmons - these days he uses a couple dirt pedals into the clean channel of a good amp.

I haven't been able to play the Sonzera, but that may not be the best tone for everyone. Archon 25 would be a good alternative.

Boss Katana 100, but currently looking for a used Blackstar HT 20. I prefer to get my distortion out of a tube amp, and fine tune to taste with a Boss graphic EQ in the effects loop and/or an OD pedal hitting the front.

Look at Andy Timmons - these days he uses a couple dirt pedals into the clean channel of a good amp.
My Joyo AT Drive (timmons clone I think) is my goto pedal for "someone else's amp" and getting a good crunch. It's also teeny and easy to take along.

There is wisdom here. I started my gigging life with a '65 Deluxe Reverb. Colored with pedals (and I was a metal player). A single-channel amp that sounds great is a good place to start. Look at Andy Timmons - these days he uses a couple dirt pedals into the clean channel of a good amp.

Couldn't agree more, great advice. I toted around a first-gen Hot Rod Deluxe on and off for 20 years, same approach but with a halfway usable drive channel for some material, and a wee bit more headroom than its little brothers. Great glossy clean channels on those suckers for the price point, they always cut through like a champion, but still sound pretty fat and warm at low volume. They're also so ubiquitous on the used market you can scoop and score.

Back