What amp do us peasants play our SE's through?

colbertpopcorn.gif

Nah, don't want to do anything to discourage someone who is new to this forum, or someone who just doesn't have the disposable income that others do. (my tongue is bleeding though for those subscribed to the cage match)

Would you sound like yourself through a Roland cube?

No. I’d be a crappy sounding version of myself, and I’d be bummed as hell. I’d be frustrated and it would hinder my work. Also my clients are pretty picky.

A substantial investment isn’t necessary for good tone. There are plenty of excellent cheap amps on the market.

I don’t play an SE, but they’re fine guitars that deserve care in amp selection.

I’ll grant you that I’m biased toward tube amps, but they needn’t be expensive. If you like solid state and modeling amps, more power to you.

A couple of years ago PRS did a blog article about my work and how I use their amps. I’m still using these as my primary amps, and I love them to death. I do my best to give clients the best tone I can, even though production video changes come so fast nowadays that chasing picture means it’s necessary to write quickly and work “in the box.”

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/les_schefman_how_i_use_prs_amps_to_make_a_living

Last edited:
He did ask what us peasants use, and I think everyone will agree your more like the laird sitting in the big house with those fancy boxes ;)

another boss katana user, perfect for home family friendly volumes, and ridiculously priced for us field workers

He did ask what us peasants use, and I think everyone will agree your more like the laird sitting in the big house with those fancy boxes ;)

another boss katana user, perfect for home family friendly volumes, and ridiculously priced for us field workers

I did suggest the very reasonably priced Sonzeras.

They’re terrific amps at any price, but they’re a steal considering that they sound quite good.

Last edited:
Which are like, only three burritos more $$$ than a new SE CU24. ;)

I love the concept of burritos being a monetary standard. :)
Holy gastrointestinal currency, Batman! Taco Bell’s stock just went up. o_O

My fretboard may have smelled like a Burrito Supreme at one time or another in the past.

Good tube tone doesn't have to cost a lot. $500 will get you a used Blues Deluxe or Hot Rod Deluxe all day, every day. Either is an amp you can do anything with for a very long time. I bought mine new with money from my first-ever job when I was 16. It's 22 years later, and I use that same amp now more than ever. A worthwhile investment.

Helix and a Xitone MBritt or Mission Engineering Gemini 1 or 2... They look like and amp and move air like an amp, but with FRFR coaxial drivers...

I rarely turn a tube amp on anymore, and I was an unadulterated Tube Snob for years!

No. I’d be a crappy sounding version of myself, and I’d be bummed as hell. I’d be frustrated and it would hinder my work. Also my clients are pretty picky.

A substantial investment isn’t necessary for good tone. There are plenty of excellent cheap amps on the market.

I don’t play an SE, but they’re fine guitars that deserve care in amp selection.

I’ll grant you that I’m biased toward tube amps, but they needn’t be expensive. If you like solid state and modeling amps, more power to you.

A couple of years ago PRS did a blog article about my work and how I use their amps. I’m still using these as my primary amps, and I love them to death. I do my best to give clients the best tone I can, even though production video changes come so fast nowadays that chasing picture means it’s necessary to write quickly and work “in the box.”

http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/blog/post/les_schefman_how_i_use_prs_amps_to_make_a_living
Lovely informative read as always Les.

I mess around with an old Fender Frontman, a little Pignose, I also have a Blackstar I'D core and the Sonzera 20 which I'm loving and couldn't recommend highly enough in it's price range.!!!

Back