Well….

Anyone have a speaker cabinet preference? Probably a few posts about this already…

The matching HDRX cabs are pretty nice. UK made Creamback 75’s, although perhaps a bit heavy in the low mids if you’re playing humbuckers. I’m trying a V30 with one of the H75’s in mine right now.

I use Matchless speaker cabs. I have a 1x12 with the British made Celestion Heritage G12H30 that I use with my HDRX 20.

Also have a Matchless 2 x 12 with 50 or 60 year old Celestion alnico G12 speakers that sounds like a Vox AC30.

I dove into that pool twice and survived! I have high hopes for you. :D

As for the amp, it’s a true classic in tone and in build quality. I think that, at the point of designing the HX/DA, PRS CAD was determined to show they could build with the best of them and tolerated no corner-cutting measures whatsoever. If you look inside, you’ll see what I mean. Truly world class, as good as anything you’ll find, and it shows in the tones.

Speakers are a big part, so match them to the era you’re looking to replicate. I have tried mine with Greenback 2x12 and 4x12 cabs with great results, also Creambacks have sounded great. V30s (mine are older Mesa-spec versions) sound like you’d expect, and cut through well. I’m going to try some 100 watt Jenson Jets Blackbird 12s soon, as I have two 1x12 cabs with them that go with a Cali Tweed amp. So far, I haven’t found a way to make an HX/DA sound bad… just ranges of good tones from which to pick.

If you have some time to pass before arrival, 15 pages of HX/DA discussion are here: https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...are-your-hxda-knowledge-with-the-world.44624/

Be sure to add your photos and review when you get yours!

Anyone have a speaker cabinet preference? Probably a few posts about this already…
I use mine with a PRS 'Big Mouth' closed back 212 cab (sadly, no longer made) that's similar in dimensions to a Mesa Recto 212. I've also used it in the past with said Recto 212 and it also sounded quite good.

Honestly, it'll sound good with a lot of cabs. You'll get the most swirl and depth with a 212 or 412; 212s are large enough for me.

I like it with a Baltic Birch closed back cab best, but also played it through one of PRS' earlier pine closed back cabs, and it sounded great. Lots of good ways to go here. If you have a vintage Marshall 412, that's also a great choice.

Back