We spend a ton of money on gear what about...

andross182

cables?

I am still rocking old braided spetraflex cables I have had since high school and they are realistically way too long. I am looking for a good high quality cable I can get from Amazon (prime ftw) or Guitar Center that I can use to clean up the spaghetti mess that my cables have devolved into.

suggestions?

d3ee7b70-134d-4063-814e-cb3ce3c8578d.JPG

:rolleyes:

Amazon has some pretty nice deals on the Spectraflex Fatso Flex, they have a whole range of sizes. Very nice low noise cable with super heavy duty strain relief.

I love and use the PRS/VanDamme cables, but Mogami, Canare, Van den Hul, Lava, and many others make some great cables. The PRS cables are extremely flexible, lay flat, and seem very resistant to EMI, RFI and handling noise.

The cables Intex puts connectors on are made by Belden, the 8412. You can buy that for about $1.25 a foot. Intex charges a heckuva a lot for terminating it with fancy plugs; their shortest instrument cables start at over $70.

Intex claims that you can't hear much difference in cables. I beg to differ.

I haven't tried an Intex cable, so can't say how they sound. But you're paying for those pretty connectors, that's for sure.

Last edited:
George "L" s...Low noise...Buy the connectors ( straight or 90 degree ) ...BUY as much cable as you need...SOLID CORE wire...PEEL it...SCREW the connector on...POW !!...ERIK JOHNSON LOVES them. Make your own cables to CUSTOM FIT anything you have.

George "L" s...Low noise...Buy the connectors ( straight or 90 degree ) ...BUY as much cable as you need...SOLID CORE wire...PEEL it...SCREW the connector on...POW !!...ERIK JOHNSON LOVES them. Make your own cables to CUSTOM FIT anything you have.

They're good, and I used them for a long time. The only thing is...I had the occasional problem with them shorting out at inopportune times, even if they worked fine for years! Kind of unpredictable in that way.

I did find them a little bit on the bright side, and missed a bit of low frequency content. But that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, and it tended to tame humbucker guitars with certain amps.

Back